Tach-a-matic

SS blower clogged up solid tonight

Tach-a-matic

Heavy wet snow tonight in NJ 

Made about 4 passes ok and then it started to rain and thats when things took a turn for the worse. 

The clutch started prtotesting and then just stopped.  I cant even turn the auger by hand. I wonder if its snow or a bearing went..  Ill check tomorrow.  

IMG-8071.jpg

IMG-8076.jpg

However my Predatoro, a 1979 Toro 524 with a 6.5 Predator and an impller kit slung it with no problem

IMG-8075.jpg

W-H first, then Predator after that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XUYiBOz5o&feature=youtu.be

On the SS, the gap isn't that big between bucket and auger but I am wondering if an impller kit can be installed on the section that slings the snow to improve efficiency

• Like 1

rjg854

All I'll say is I've never had 

much luck with slushy snow or really wet heavy snow. 

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell

Although the warm cab tempted me, I didn't even try to blow this heavy wet snow with the tall chute SS blower.  I went with the 48" plow and had no problems.

A plow or a dual stage blower is required for this stuff.

• Like 2

AndyK149

I've packed my snow blower (walk behind, not tractor mount) like that many times.  It's the slushy snow; it just doesn't move through the machine well.  As Ed said, you really need a plow at that point.  Yay more stuff to buy!!

peter lena

wet heavy snow does not like snow blowers, having said that I regularly spray down my blower chute and auger system with SNOW JET OR TEFLON SPRAY . that will help, with todays snow , no question, it was plow all the way, like pushing a stream . glad to be able to go either way with the white stuff. by the way, do you regularly LUBRICATE THE AUGER CHAIN AND GEAR ? on that  36-42 single stage? its often forgotten , but a smooth running chain will help on that auger speed. I use chain and cable lubricant on mine ,regularly ,and it spins up without effort . just my own experience , good luck with it , pete

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

its 42" with a brand new chain.  Will douse it with some Fluid Film ASAP

Question: 

The PTO clutch has three 3 pulleys; 1 for the trans in the back, 1 in the middle and 1 on the end. 

The smallest pulley on the end is where i have the blower belt. Is it supposed to be on the larger middle pulley? 

If not, what would happen if I put it there.  Would it spin too fast and grenade itself?