rmaynard

Chains vs Brains

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I think this thread has gotten seriously off the tracks. :text-offtopic:

I’ll pop it back on track!

I read the first post, thinking “let some air out” then saw 8” too short, then thought “that’s not a fish story either” then saw “let some air out” and thought “my thoughts exactly in the beginning” then saw that we’re at zero pressure which leads to my final thought for they day “get a vacuum on the tire chuck.”

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

rmaynard
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ll pop it back on track!

I read the first post, thinking “let some air out” then saw 8” too short, then thought “that’s not a fish story either” then saw “let some air out” and thought “my thoughts exactly in the beginning” then saw that we’re at zero pressure which leads to my final thought for they day “get a vacuum on the tire chuck.”

Interestingly, I ordered the chains a couple of years ago and had to remove two sections for them to fit properly on my old, worn 23x9.50x12 turf tires. Here is what I wrote at the time back in December 2016:

"I just bought a set of chains for my 416-H marked 23 x 9.50 x 12. The links were 14" including the hooks that connect them to the side links. I had to remove two cross-links from each chain, ending up with a total of 37 side links going around the outside of the tire. Each of the side links was 1-1/2" long. I slightly over-inflated the tires after installing the chains to make them a little more snug." 

It's amazing how much different in size the new tires are over the old ones. Now I am trying to find the sections that I cut off in hopes that I can reattach them.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Are they at the hardware store?  :D

• Haha 1

rmaynard

The grandsons were using them for weapons last summer, so they are probably in the woods buried in snow.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

The grandsons were using them for weapons last summer, so they are probably in the woods buried in snow.

Well at least they went to good use

Bob I'm kind of thinking I had a chain at home that was a spare or a broken one. Can you post a pic of what you have and I'll see if I can find mine.

If it would help you, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

rmaynard
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Well at least they went to good use

Bob I'm kind of thinking I had a chain at home that was a spare or a broken one. Can you post a pic of what you have and I'll see if I can find mine.

If it would help you, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the offer. I found a pair of chains that came on my B-100 when it had AG tires. I can cut a couple of pieces out of that if I can't find the others.

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
12 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I think this thread has gotten seriously off the tracks. :text-offtopic:

There's only so much one can say about tire chains, there are many different grades of alloys and styles of chain links used in the manufacture of tractor and truck chains. The chains I use have ice picks on the cross links.

The best tool for making chains from scratch or on the spot repairs is a pair of chain pliers, cut, open or close a link in seconds.

chain.png

l1.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Those ice pics would work great out on the gravel drive.

Might be a little hard on the shop floor.

I think I have the cross link tool in the shop (never used it).

I need to look for that tomorrow if I think of it.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My only issue is that I have a tendency to put things away where I can't find them later.

:P

The little trick is to touch it then say this is where I put it. It works just think about it after setting it down.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
On 11/16/2018 at 7:10 AM, ebinmaine said:

My only issue is that I have a tendency to put things away where I can't find them later.

:P

That is today for me Eric! Thirty minutes layter there it is.   

• Like 1

peter lena

@Pullstart  always use , 2" / 3"  extension springs on my chains , the constant pull , helps the chain settle in and follows shifting / movement  opportunities. by the way , also lubricate my chains , zero rust , this should be interesting , you can't do that , Pete 

ebinmaine
On 11/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, rmaynard said:

I can cut a couple of pieces out of that if I can't find the others.

Bob I know this thread is 5 years "mature" but I was wondering what tools you use to modify the tire chains. 

pfrederi

Chain Pliers

Like in #32 above

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Chain Pliers

Like in #32 above

What are these?

Sold as "Weed Sturdy"

923777341_Screenshot_20231211-0909202.png.5a5939b8004bde156f435918676451a4.png

cleat

This is my tire chain pliers.

I have never used it but have had it for years.

DSCN5905.JPG.ebcdadf8bd20d8678bc5e048a5e3f005.JPG

DSCN5904.JPG.f88a25ec7319ee7a9c2fb8ac4ddfc8b1.JPG

DSCN5906.JPG.4a211315718dddde930791ee4f4beb83.JPG

DSCN5908.JPG.f4d56b472469b231f01beb913294fbfd.JPG

DSCN5907.JPG.f57916bedf92c67f7388a94f597b356a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Bob I know this thread is 5 years "mature" but I was wondering what tools you use to modify the tire chains. 

I didn't. I have not had a need for chains. If I do, I think I will just add a link.

• Like 1

Pullstart
47 minutes ago, peter lena said:

this should be interesting , you can't do that , Pete 

I can’t do what Greasy Pete?

pfrederi

There are different styles of chain pliers.  The small ones will work OK on Garden tractor new cheap light chains.  Most of my chains are madeup/modified old car/truck chains.  If you have to make significant changes to those your hands will get really tired .  The big one makes it easy but it is a bit awkward.  Note how one handle is flattened you put that on the ground step on it to hold it while you push down on the other handle.  Got my big one at an auction for $5.  no body knew what it was

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

There are different styles of chain pliers.  The small ones will work OK on Garden tractor new cheap light chains

Most of our chains are decent grade but still not what I'd consider commercial quality.  

I have one set that'll be mounted on a pair of 10.50 turfs sometime that are definitely a heavy duty type. 

I'm hoping a chain tool like I posted above would work ok because it has the reduction of two pivots built in.  

squonk

I've installed dozens of chains and never needed chain pliers and I'm a tool freak! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, squonk said:

I've installed dozens of chains and never needed chain pliers and I'm a tool freak! 

I've used a Drum Brake Tool or various levers to install. 

What I'd like is a tool to modify the chains. Add cross links etc.   

• Like 1

pfrederi

Adding link or two you can use the smaller pliers even just a chisel and some pry bars.  But when you are adding cross links to go from 4 to 2  the right tool will make it easier.  You can pick up old car/truck chains cheap at auctions as no one ever seems to know what size but you can make them fit your WHs.  The chains on my blower horse are Army surplus Weed  Brand chains for jeeps.  Bag was dated 1956 never used. Yo can see the links are bigger thicker   She rides a bit rough even at 2 link spacing...

IMG_0063 (2).JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

chains on my blower horse

Those actually look A LOT like the heavy set I have.  

• Like 1

peter lena

@Pullstart often get a " you can't  do that " to a reference / or change I  have made / used , because its , not in the book , also like this type of , tapered pry bar , easily allowing a grab / slide to a chain link , then put on a 2 "/ 3 " extension spring to hold onto your , intended hook up . typically just a short drive around , has that spring , steadily pulling that chain into place . like an extra hand , Pete 

c-series don

I have two pairs of tire chain pliers, one given to me and one I bought at an antique store. At the antique store nobody but me knew what they were! If you are changing, fixing, or adding cross links these make it easy. I used to run chains on my plow trucks that had 10.00-20 tires on them. An older gentleman taught me how to fix them on the truck with that tool. 

• Like 2