Just now, Lengerich8 said:

Not as good looking as your Bambi though haha

I’m still extatic about my deers!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’m still extatic about my deers!

I would be too, they’re both good looking, and to get your first two so close is lucky! I’d like to take one for the experience, but unless I have the whole thing processed as jerky I just wouldn’t eat it, so I figure I’ll let em end up on someone else’s table

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

I would be too, they’re both good looking, and to get your first two so close is lucky! I’d like to take one for the experience, but unless I have the whole thing processed as jerky I just wouldn’t eat it, so I figure I’ll let em end up on someone else’s table

I’ve never tasted a type of venison I didn’t enjoy.  I recall breaded butterfly stakes and hind quarter pot roasts being of my favorite!  I’ll process them with the help of Mrs. Pullstart, and anything that doesn’t look like a steak or a roast will be ground in the kitchen aid. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve never tasted a type of venison I didn’t enjoy. 

I have harvested, butchered, and consumed ( with the help of family members) over 100 deer over the past 55 years.  

With only two exceptions, they were all great table fare.      The two exceptions were extremely old tough doe.  They both required mechanical and chemical tenderizing.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’ve never tasted a type of venison I didn’t enjoy.

4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have harvested, butchered, and consumed ( with the help of family members) over 100 deer over the past 55 years.  

I’ve not had it often, and I haven’t had it a lot of different ways, but it’s always been just too lean for my tastes. 

My favorite part of a 22oz Porter house is the 4-5oz of fat. 

Also happens to be the favorite part of my wife’s 22oz porter house too 😂

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell

Here is a short   "Venison Tail"  or tale.

Understand about 50% of my families diet has been venison, trout, and white perch.

While on a business trip to Graz Austria, Mrs. K and I were invited to dinner by our Austrian host. It was clear he was attempting to impress us when he picked us up at our hotel in his Mercedes and took us to a  very exclusive castle style restaurant.   He of course showed us the German menu, and recommended the venison or the rainbow trout.   Not wanting to offend, we accepted his recommendation  and ordered both.

He never knew his $100 venison and trout dinners were our everyday meals.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
42 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

I’ve not had it often, and I haven’t had it a lot of different ways, but it’s always been just too lean for my tastes. 

My favorite part of a 22oz Porter house is the 4-5oz of fat. 

Also happens to be the favorite part of my wife’s 22oz porter house too 😂

I’m not gonna say a thing at that one... :ROTF:

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here is a short   "Venison Tail"  or tale.

Understand about 50% of my families diet has been venison, trout, and white perch.

While on a business trip to Graz Austria, Mrs. K and I were invited to dinner by our Austrian host. It was clear he was attempting to impress us when he picked us up at our hotel in his Mercedes and took us to a  very exclusive castle style restaurant.   He of course showed us the German menu, and recommended the venison or the rainbow trout.   Not wanting to offend, we accepted his recommendation  and ordered both.

He never knew his $100 venison and trout dinners were our everyday meals.   

How many plates did you order?

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’m not gonna say a thing at that one... :ROTF:

Now that I reread it, I’ll say nothing else either 😳😂

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

One each......Mrs. K ordered the trout and I ordered the venison.    Mrs K was  accustomed to eating fileted  and skinned 10-12" trout that are baked in butter and lemon.

She was clearly unhappy when the waiter presented her with a whole (head to tail)  22" trout. 

• Haha 3

LengerichKA88
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

One each......Mrs. K ordered the trout and I ordered the venison.    Mrs K was  accustomed to eating fileted  and skinned 10-12" trout that are baked in butter and lemon.

She was clearly unhappy when the waiter presented her with a whole (head to tail)  22" trout. 

Reminds me of when I was on Okinawa, and went out to a restaurant and ordered a steak.... from the 11000¥ price, (about 80 bucks when I first got to the island) I figured it would be a good sized steak, not to mention everything else that came with it. I was not at all happy when they brought me a 6oz filet. 

6 ounces. 

I told the waiter that there must’ve been a mistake, that he brought me an appetizer instead of a dinner. Didn’t go over very well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

1 is nearly finished, still have one platter chilling to process but we are making progress!

1E2E3D11-8E76-4BE5-B0A0-28670E4B3310.jpeg

46421C21-EF8D-40AF-80A7-F036DB9FA262.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Forgot to mention, burgers on the grill absolutely rocked last night!

• Like 2

WHX??

Our traditional nine day gun season  started last Saturday. Not much luck here in the Northwoods. Lots of does but nothing with antlers. Bucks only up here but have nine doe tags to fill back home in farmland country. We'll  fill the freezer then.

The view from my stand. A balmy 4 degrees outside!

20181117_081521.jpg

Deer shack sports a fresh coat of paint this year.

20180719_174336.jpg

View out the window.

20181119_073145.jpg

Past years hunts, we have been doing this since great grampa's days.

20181119_073227.jpg

Even the little guys horns get used!

20181119_074143.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Just met the neighbor across the street (across a field) and he told me one of the neighbors has a bunch of guys drive the woods next door and they shoot for sport... and leave ‘em lay.  What a disgrace... maybe I should have them call me when they get one with less than 5 holes in ‘em for me to fill the freezer!  

Seems like I read a story one time about reaping what you sow...  maybe they should have a responsibility for what life they take :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

LengerichKA88
22 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Just met the neighbor across the street (across a field) and he told me one of the neighbors has a bunch of guys drive the woods next door and they shoot for sport... and leave ‘em lay.  What a disgrace... maybe I should have them call me when they get one with less than 5 holes in ‘em for me to fill the freezer!  

Seems like I read a story one time about reaping what you sow...  maybe they should have a responsibility for what life they take :(

That’s not sport, it’s waste. If that were “sport” I’d have taken a deer long ago. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

has a bunch of guys drive the woods next door and they shoot for sport... and leave ‘em lay.  What a disgrace...

And against the law here in PA.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

And against the law here in PA.  

I'm not a hunter but I know you have to tag every deer here in Maine so I guess that makes it obvious that you can't just leave them in the field

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct auto correct that doesn't understand Maine accent
  • Like 2

WHX??

Very illegal here too ...turn em in Kev.... won't hurt my feelings none. We bust our humps to recover what we kill so it just ain't right.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Got some more processed.  It’ss amazing how much meat is here!

B8F16CD6-245B-4BBD-82C1-367CBBCEEE32.jpeg

E29C4B0E-9FDA-47C9-ACD7-4991D989C186.jpeg

36D51A60-D8F6-4C5D-9FF3-9E9FA2B11D85.jpeg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 11/15/2018 at 8:12 PM, pullstart said:

Well, I am looking for Bowinkle and picked up a 7 point.  Not bad for my first deer ever!  Yeah, I’ve been hunting for 10 or 11 years...  It’s snowing hard, I have to resume search for #2 in the morning I guess.

343812F4-D31E-415B-93A1-98C3B02F3F84.jpeg

Not bad at all for your first, can't eat the horns so they tell me 👍.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
2 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Very illegal here too ...turn em in Kev.... won't hurt my feelings none. We bust our humps to recover what we kill so it just ain't right.

Especially since people like that are what those not familiar with hunting think all hunters are. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

Especially since people like that are what those not familiar with hunting think all hunters are. 

I gave up the fight years ago.   Realized it was impossible to explain this to the anti-hunters..... the joy of spending hundreds of hours in the woods attempting to harvest a specific animal and if you are successful, the satisfaction, reverence, and prayer giving thanks for the opportunity to harvest and process the animal to feed family and friends..  

Some will never  understand the difference between a hunter and a poacher.

Excuse the rant, but while I'm on the soap box, one other peeve is the newspaper headlines after deer season.

TWO  HUNTERS DIE FIRST DAY OF PA DEER SEASON

In the fine print details...one was a result of a car crash on the way to camp,  one was a heart attack walking to the outhouse,      :deadhorse:

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Haven't you heard...

it's all "fake" news.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I gave up the fight years ago.   Realized it was impossible to explain this to the anti-hunters..... the joy of spending hundreds of hours in the woods attempting to harvest a specific animal and if you are successful, the satisfaction, reverence, and prayer giving thanks for the opportunity to harvest and process the animal to feed family and friends..  

Some will never  understand the difference between a hunter and a poacher.

Excuse the rant, but while I'm on the soap box, one other peeve is the newspaper headlines after deer season.

TWO  HUNTERS DIE FIRST DAY OF PA DEER SEASON

In the fine print details...one was a result of a car crash on the way to camp,  one was a heart attack walking to the outhouse,      :deadhorse:

I understand your frustration. Just like when a guy who did his four years and got out a decade gets into an argument that escalates, next days newspaper:  “MENTALLY ILL VETERAN KILLS NEIGHBOR”

Everything is sensationalized for the sake of profit. 

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Sad 1