JoeliusZ28

Gearing my 414-8 up for gardening... suggestions?

JoeliusZ28

Hey all,

Next season I'm looking to expand my garden significantly so I'd like to put the tractor to work instead of my back.  I'm planning to work an area that will be roughly 60x10 feet in size.  I'm looking at hitch attachments and I'm wondering if its possible to gear up the tractor for everything I plan on doing without having to swap out various hitch assemblies all the time.  

I'd like the tractor to be able to do all of the following:

Pull full size trailers (with a receiver hitch)

Pull a lawn aerator (currently own, attaches to drawbar, or perhaps a drawbar adapter)

Single blade plow (Need to buy, I'm assuming most attach with a brinly style sleeve hitch)

Tiller -  I need to buy one of these and I'm not sure how they attach.

*Maybe* a disc or cultivator that lifts with the drawbar on a sleeve hitch.  I think I might be able to get away with skipping this one with the ground I have.  I only want to buy whats necessary since my storage space is very limited.

Is it possible to have all three of those hitches on the tractor at once?  I've seen multiple machines with two, but haven't seen any with three.  If I have to sacrifice one, it will probably be the receiver hitch.  Also, if i were to buy a used tiller with the lift components, do some of those components also work for the sleeve hitch and/or tiller?  Trying to figure out what I need to buy to make this all work, it looks like the supporting vendors here carry a lot of this stuff.  Any advice is appreciated!

Picture of the tractor as it sits for the heckovit!

IMG_4246.JPG

• Like 3

JoeliusZ28

Could a moderator move this to the implement/attachement section?  I realized i put this in the wrong section.

Anyway, i sourced this plow locally over the weekend.  I have my doubts this is an actual wheel horse implement, but that won’t affect its ability to do the job.  Also ordered a slot hitch from ebay.  Next i need to research and order the lift cable components.  Is this everything i need?  

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/hitches-liftkits.html#!/Toro-Wheel-horse-Rock-shaft-kit-man-trans-short-clevis-READ-DESCRIPTION-w-Tube/p/84960096/category=23548047

FD6DBEA0-9D80-45A8-B310-B46D9958C411.jpeg

Edited by JoeliusZ28

clueless

For that plow you need the older slot hitch, easy to find. As far as all the hitches having to not be removed probably not going to happen. A slot or clevis hitch will work with the draw bar you have, and the rear tiller hitch will work with out having to remove it. What you wanting to do will require a few hitches, ie: slot hitch, rock shaft, clevis hitch, tiller hitch. Looks like you found wheelhorsepartsandmore, he has pretty much everything you need except the tiller. He makes a rear 2" receiver hitch that looks to be quick and easy to remove when you want to install the tiller or clevis hitch. His stuff is not cheap, but if you want new and quality it's worth the price. I suggest you contact Lowell, 507-213-6346 he is very helpful, and knows his stuff, he can answer all of your questions, even if you don't buy anything

• Like 2

JoeliusZ28

The slot hitch changed over the years?  Shoot I didn't realize that, the one i ordered is from a C-160.  Thanks for your input.  Right now the ball/receiver hitch is my lowest priority so I'm going to focus on getting a plow and tiller working first and then decide if the receiver is worth the effort.  I don't want to be removing/installing a complete receiver all the time just to move a trailer around the yard.  I could make a ball adapter for the drawbar and just use my truck for the heavier trailers.

• Like 1

clueless

Tillers with everything you need to make it work are difficult to find, but their out there. First thing you need to do is make sure you can remove the pin that holds you draw hitch on the trans.

• Like 2

JoeliusZ28

I took the drawbar off a couple years ago to modify it, so i should be good there.

Pullstart

In the Grand Rapids CL there is a current ad from Schreibers Small Engine repair.  The first picture shows an upside down tiller on a rack.  It utilizes a tiller/snow plow hitch that bolts to the underside of the axle.  Most receiver hitches bolt to the top side.  I imagine both might be able to be used at the sam time, I’m not sure however if that would limit use of a slot hitch.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
On 11/14/2018 at 11:17 PM, JoeliusZ28 said:

IMG_4246.JPG

That sounds like a lot of work and headache.... save yourself the trouble and send it down the road to me :laughing-rolling::ychain:

• Haha 1

JoeliusZ28

Alright so i picked up a tiller locally about a month ago. Trying to get everything i need to get this mounted up for this year's gardening season, last year the furrow plow worked really well but its not very efficient beyond breaking ground.  The tiller i bought came with one pulley and small spring that i believe is for the front tach-a-matic mount under the engine. It did NOT come with a lift spring but i think i can use the same one from my snowthrower, correct?  It did come with a belt but its rough and i am going to replace it.  Is there anything else i need besides axle brackets?  The seller told me the axle brackets were not included, so i know i need to get that much of it figured out and ordered.

Plan is get this tiller installed along with a receiver hitch for this spring.  My setup right now is a sleeve hitch for the furrow plow but i can remove that.  I don't envision myself using it often anymore now that the ground is broken up. This tiller looks beefy enough to break ground on its own too.  

When i look at wheelhorsepartsandmore i see a few options for axle brackets.... Will these two items get me going?  Thanks guys.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/tiller.html#!/Toro-Wheel-Horse-hitch-104659-SNOW-DOZER-BLADE-TILLER-BRACKET-WITH-SETUP-BAR/p/84954586/category=23566573

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/hitches-liftkits.html#!/Heavy-Duty-Removable-Receiver-Hitch-if-you-have-a-104659-Bracket/p/84960077/category=23548047

Current pics of the tiller and tractor:

IMG_6612[1].JPG

IMG_6887[1].JPG

IMG_5240[1].JPG

Lee1977
6 minutes ago, JoeliusZ28 said:

Alright so i picked up a tiller locally about a month ago. Trying to get everything i need to get this mounted up for this year's gardening season, last year the furrow plow worked really well but its not very efficient beyond breaking ground.  The tiller i bought came with one pulley and small spring that i believe is for the front tach-a-matic mount under the engine. It did NOT come with a lift spring but i think i can use the same one from my snowthrower, correct?  It did come with a belt but its rough and i am going to replace it.  Is there anything else i need besides axle brackets?  The seller told me the axle brackets were not included, so i know i need to get that much of it figured out and ordered.

Plan is get this tiller installed along with a receiver hitch for this spring.  My setup right now is a sleeve hitch for the furrow plow but i can remove that.  I don't envision myself using it often anymore now that the ground is broken up. This tiller looks beefy enough to break ground on its own too.  

When i look at wheelhorsepartsandmore i see a few options for axle brackets.... Will these two items get me going?  Thanks guys.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/tiller.html#!/Toro-Wheel-Horse-hitch-104659-SNOW-DOZER-BLADE-TILLER-BRACKET-WITH-SETUP-BAR/p/84954586/category=23566573

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/hitches-liftkits.html#!/Heavy-Duty-Removable-Receiver-Hitch-if-you-have-a-104659-Bracket/p/84960077/category=23548047

Current pics of the tiller and tractor:

IMG_6612[1].JPG

IMG_6887[1].JPG

IMG_5240[1].JPG

Looks like your doing fine. The only suggestion I can make is buy another Wheel Horse. One for garding and one for mowing. You can never have too many!

The Tuul Crib

That is a great looking 414! I have a 414

it looks to be about the same year and that is one powerful and strong machine. I also would suggest picking up another tractor or two and hook up attachments to each one so that you don't have to keep switching them around. It's just easier

and will save you a lot of backbreaking work.

• Like 1

gsummers

I also have a 414-8 with a tiller on it, with a tiller on it is a dedicated tiller tractor, they are a pain in the a$$ to change, you can not use any other attachment while it is on. I have 2 other horses for my other attachments. My 312-H is my mower tractor and my 417-A I use for snow plow, snow blower, mower when needed. You need more than 1 tractor for your needs, LOL

JoeliusZ28

Unfortunately my storage space is very limited, which is why i chose such a versatile machine.  I only need to till once a season, so its not a big deal to me.  Snowthrower in the winter, tiller in the spring, mower for the summer... repeat.

@The Tool Crib - i agree this machine has impressed the hell out of me.  Once i put good tires on it (I have tri-ribs in the front now too), it does everything effortlessly.  It will pull that furrow plow at dang near idle rpm.  Didn't even flinch at that job.  some deep snow with the snowthrower is the only thing that seems to make her sweat a little bit, and even then I think it would break the auger chain before stalling.

Edited by JoeliusZ28
  • Like 1

gsummers

Looks like the only thing you need is the rear axle mount for the tiller, easily available. Happy Horsin around.

Guest 88vic

If these tractors get traction, they'll pull a ton of weight, stopping is a different story 😜

JoeliusZ28

Alright i ordered the tiller mount and a receiver hitch.  We'll see how it goes :)