LengerichKA88

Rebuild or buy new starter/generator

LengerichKA88

The starter/generator is out on our Charger 10 (knew it was bad picking it up) and just took a dump on our Mystery 8hp 3spd. I’ve never dealt with them before, but I’ve seen that there are rebuild kits for them. Not knowing exactly what’s wrong with them, would I be better served to find new ones, or is a rebuild worth the attempt? And if I would be better off getting new, where’s a good place to look? TIA! 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Many things can go wrong with an S/G .  Bearings  you can hear them, brushes, armature, field coils.    or  just the regulator ...do you have any idea what is wrong with yours.  Noisy or no charging or no starting???  Unless you have a clue I would look for a place that specializes in automotive starters generators alternators..  They can figure out what part has failed and not just throw kits/fixes at it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I got my s/g rebuild kits from I save old tractors.  

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Many things can go wrong with an S/G .  Bearings  you can hear them, brushes, armature, field coils.    or  just the regulator ...do you have any idea what is wrong with yours.  Noisy or no charging or no starting???  Unless you have a clue I would look for a place that specializes in automotive starters generators alternators..  They can figure out what part has failed and not just throw kits/fixes at it.

The one on the Charger 10 doesn’t charge (ironic 😂) and is slow cranking, but still will start it up. The one on the 8hp started humming instead of cranking (for lack of a better description) 9 tries out of 10. 

This how they’re acting with fully charged batteries. 

CasualObserver
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Exactly this :text-yeahthat:....   I'd check with a local Napa repair shop or really any local garage on recommendations. Those guys will know who can and will do the best job at the best price.

If you can't or don't want to do that, then let your fingers do the walkin' In the yellow pages look under "Auto Electric" or "Auto Electrical"  there should be some places listed that can do that work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

The S/G on the Charger have you grounded the field terminal while it is running to see if it starts charging??  If it doesn't and combined with the slow cranking I would suspect the charge field coil..(it helps out in cranking).

Kits are usually bearings and/or brushes...but they may not be your problem and would be a waste of money unless you knew what was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
36 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The S/G on the Charger have you grounded the field terminal while it is running to see if it starts charging??  If it doesn't and combined with the slow cranking I would suspect the charge field coil..(it helps out in cranking).

I haven’t. We haven’t really touched the Charger since we got it, because we mainly got it for then 42in blade it came with haha.  Once I get the shop doors de-iced I’ll give that a try. 

@CasualObserver, I’ve got a call in to a local shop to see what they can do, waiting on a call back. 

WHNJ701

how many cranking amps is your battery, a s/g needs higher cranking amps

• Like 1

jebbear

I was fortunate to have a local "old time" shop near to where I live. I have an 856 that had a starter give up the ghost (totally fried the armature). Took it to this guy, he blew the dust off of an old box, and produced a brand new original armature. He rebuilt the whole thing for me while I waited, charged me $65 and out the door with basically a new starter/generator. So yes, as others have said, your first need is to determine what the problem is then go from there. But based on my situation, I would not hesitate in getting it rebuilt if necessary. If you were closer, I would highly recommend this guy that I went to, but I see that you are in Indy.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

@jabelman, @jebbear, I just saw your responses, so I apologize for leaving ya hanging. 

Ive got a local place that should be able to get em both squared away for sub 100

each. I’ll do one at a time, but at least I’ll get em done.