indywheelhorsenut

C160 just went dead... quick thoughts?

indywheelhorsenut

Here in Indianapolis and snow is on the way.  Went out to warm up the C160 and it was running beautifully.  Shut her down to do a little maintenance (tires and grease) then went to start it up and absolutely nothing.... 

Battery was very strong 10 minutes before.  It is just plain dead, no crank, no sound nothing.

I took all the "safety" stuff years ago so its not a sensor.  Wiring is pretty decent as I have gone through it over the years.

I am thinking its either starter/key switch or starter.  Sure hoping not wiring (that crap makes me crazy).

Like I said, snow is coming.  Just looking for the quickest path to a fix!

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Break out test light and volt meter. Check ignition switch could be rusty connection

• Like 2

indywheelhorsenut
4 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Break out test light and volt meter. Check ignition switch could be rusty connection

Lol, will do!  And will hit it with some contact cleaner.  Although... they all look pretty good.

Any other thoughts are appreciated..

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Could be solenoid too

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Easiest way to go is find small power wire on solenoid and check with test light has you turn key. Check fuse too if you have one.

peter lena

I have had fuses cause the same issue, after checking everything else , it was slight corrosion on fuse panel. replaced all fuses, lightly scuffed contact surfaces and used DIELECTRIC GREASE ON FUSE TABS , instant start no more issues. pete 

• Like 2

indywheelhorsenut

Okay, Thanks All!  I am now (very soon) going to make some silly excuse here at the office and run home to test my voltage to the solenoid and then test the sylenoid!  You helped me work through that, "Oh crap, I am going to get the stink eye from the Mrs" trauma I was experiencing if I could not get it running in time for the snow!   After all, who needs that??!!

Luckily, the C160 is old enough there is no fuse panel so I am clear on that one.  But I truly appreciate this quick feedback.  I am feeling empowered!

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
20 minutes ago, indywheelhorsenut said:

Okay, Thanks All!  I am now (very soon) going to make some silly excuse here at the office and run home to test my voltage to the solenoid and then test the sylenoid!  You helped me work through that, "Oh crap, I am going to get the stink eye from the Mrs" trauma I was experiencing if I could not get it running in time for the snow!   After all, who needs that??!!

Luckily, the C160 is old enough there is no fuse panel so I am clear on that one.  But I truly appreciate this quick feedback.  I am feeling empowered!

Lol tell her u need more backup wheel horses

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

I do have a 656 wheel horse for sale with plow. Doesn't have original engine though. Has 8hp Briggs and is a powerful little guy

stevasaurus

Check for loose battery cables on both ends...sometimes it is that easy.  :occasion-xmas:  and you are right about the :occasion-snowman:

• Like 1

squonk

Clean the ammeter connections!!!

I’ve seen it more than once!’

sent from my I phone in a kitchen waiting for toggle bolts. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

indywheelhorsenut
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

Clean the ammeter connections!!!

I’ve seen it more than once!’

sent from my I phone in a kitchen waiting for toggle bolts. 

Wow... that one would have gotten right past me!  Thanks much

953 nut

Check the ground wire to the engine from the battery, it is the most overlooked wire on a :wh:. Run a large jumper from the battery "+" terminal to the starter electrical connection to see if the starter will turn over. If it will then move the jumper to the starter side of the solenoid to test the cable. If it turns over use a small jumper from the battery "+" to the small wire on the solenoid to see if it will close.

495507588_1electrical.jpg.4452d97c36d78b205555c84bae398791.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

PTO disengaged?

• Like 1

GarySeever

Make sure all the grounds are tight and clean !!!

indywheelhorsenut
29 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

PTO disengaged?

Great question...  disengaged...  not even hooked up right now.. ready to plow.

Based on what you all shared with me I checked solenoid and key switch...  found it is a wire or connection  in the mast...  I replaced one bad wire thinking that was it.. it worked once and then same problem..  went back and moved the wiring harness a bit and it fired up.. so I think it is possibly connection at ammeter or bad wire in mast.

• Like 2

953 nut

If you only tend to the connection that is presently giving you trouble the others will give a problem at the worst possible time.

Image result for murphy's law

Lane Ranger

TrACTOR IS ABOUT 40 YEARS OLD.   Wire connections break, corrode and stiffen in cold weather especially.     Do a run through all your connections, clean and  look for wire coatins breaks etc.   It will pay off in the logn run!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

indywheelhorsenut
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

TrACTOR IS ABOUT 40 YEARS OLD.   Wire connections break, corrode and stiffen in cold weather especially.     Do a run through all your connections, clean and  look for wire coatins breaks etc.   It will pay off in the logn run!

Agreed...  and will do it this weekend!   Now that I know that problem exists I am afraid to take it out in the snow until I find that weak spot as pushing one of those autos is work enough (even with the pressure released on the tranny)..let alone in the snow!

lol, just got done this past spring doing the same thing on my '69 Camaro...  I love that old iron... but it calls for some special attention at its age (not unlike myself).

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2