ebinmaine

What's the widest snowplow you've ever pushed with a Wheelhorse?

ebinmaine

I know there are vast differences in weight and power over the lifespan of the many models of Wheelhorse tractors.

Stock, custom, heavily-weighted, whatever. I'm curious to know what is the widest plow any of you have ever used on a Wheelhorse?

peter lena

used a 48" I picked up, worked well, the major issue is having the extra power and traction to push that , when loaded up. it also depends on what you are trying to move, wet heavy snow , will quickly over power , traction and hp. my 42 " is just right. pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Same here Eric 48 is the biggest so far that I have used. Traction is the big factor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

54" but that's on a 520H...

IMAG4270.jpg

IMAG4083.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

but that's on a 520H...

Jeff, do you run chains?

WVHillbilly520H

Occasionally depends on the surface, but I have about 70 lbs of steel weight in the rims ,no fluid yet, but with the blower I have fluid and weight.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

my 42 " is just right

That's what I'm going to be setting up on my Patriot horse. Hopefully the next couple days. Snow coming Friday.

2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Traction is the big factor

5 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Occasionally depends on the surface, but I have about 70 lbs of steel weight in the rims ,no fluid yet, but with the blower I have fluid and weight.

I've got over 75 lb of fluid and 50 lb of Steel at EACH tire.

I do have several sets of chains I could install.

I figured I would try it without the chains and if it didn't work, throw them on.

I asked what the largest width is mostly out of curiosity but I do have a plow that somebody welded about 10 inches or so of extension on to one side of it. Just curious how that would push.

SPINJIM

I'm going to switch from a 42" to a 48" this year, and put it on my 418A.   But an important change I'll make is to increase the tilt (top to bottom, not side to side) on the blade so that it LIFTS the snow, and doesn't just push it.   My 42" blade was on a 1076 tractor, and it bogged down in wet snow because of not enough tilt on the blade.   Looks like I'm going to need the plow tomorrow, so I better go finish mounting it.   

Jim

• Like 1

Pullstart

If you need Eric, I can try to budge my 9’2” Boss with Putt Putt... but it’ll probably not end well.  The Safety Police (you) would have a hay day with my violations!

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If you need Eric, I can try to budge my 9’2” Boss with Putt Putt... but it’ll probably not end well.  The Safety Police (you) would have a hay day with my violations!

That should move that just fine but you may need to weight the rear tires down more.......................

• Like 1

wallfish

60 inch blade with a 416-8. Both ends have extensions welded on.

• Like 4

Tankman

48 inch dozer, wheel weights, chains if needed.

I always plow wide just in case we get another snowfall. Have enough room to push any additional snow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

cschannuth

I pushed a 48" with my 520H with only fluid in the rear turf tires and my big butt in the seat for many years.  It was on concrete and I never had any trouble.  I had chains but on concrete they seemed to reduce my traction so I took them off and never looked back.  Now I have a 54" on Dad's C-161 and a 42" on the 606 rat.  Both have bar tires.  The 161 has fluid and inside and outside wheel weights.  The 606 has fluid, inside wheel weights, and 5 - 10 lb mini suit case weights under the seat.  Unfortunately we only had about 3" of wet snow last year so they haven't had much of a test.

As a side note, Dad used the 42" on his 161 when he was still living and he had bar tires, no fluid/weight, and chains.  His driveway was gravel and the chains seemed to work better on the gravel.

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

@ebinmaine I took a 42" plow and added 6" to each side, making a 54" plow and I used it with my GT-14 with inside the wheel wheel weights.

I could also use this with my 520 H, but currently have a 48" on it and am ready for possible snow overnight!

• Like 3

Pat_In_Denver

I'm going to try pushing a 56" D-series blade with my 418-A this year.  Since I'm in Denver, the majority of the show I see is light powder so I'm hopeful the tractor will push the blade, and not the other way around.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, Tankman said:

I always plow wide just in case we get another snowfall. Have enough room to push any additional snow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Should be good there. Thanks for the reminder. Been in this house almost 14 years and I've plowed two seasons. The rest of it's been with a snow blower.

we have the area in front of the house and also several spots off the edge of the driveway where I can push snow.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

48" blade  w/ lotta weight and the rubber chains.

IMG_7179.JPG.746b0fd834c88a46fc2d0ea87697e614.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

• Like 3

Herder

42" with weights and chains has always got the job done.  And i have used that combination on many different WHs.  An old C141 hydro was my best dozer.  It pushed anything till it broke.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

C-105:  42" stock. No chains. Typical Michigan slop all year. No problem on three driveways...

Have thought about adding some to each side - winged "in" - to catch it as I go... but not high on the list...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

lotta weight

Love that pile o weights Ed.

I think you have a little more room right near the top of the stack.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, Tankman said:

It is too bad the town I live in doesn't do this!

They make 1 pass in each direction with a 8' plow!

I widen the street for 4 blocks around my house and in front of the VFD garage from yard to yard!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

the town I live in doesn't do this!

They make 1 pass in each direction with a 8' plow

'round here they use a 9 or 10 foot front plow with a right side wing.

A day or two after the storm they go by again with the wing plow held high and push the snowbanks back and over themselves to make space for the next storm.

Edited by ebinmaine
Corrected sides
  • Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Great topic Eric!:handgestures-thumbup:

Seems to me that the most common problem with a wider plow comes when you try to angle them and push especially wet/heavy snow. You often hear of it sliding the front of the tractor over.  

If you have enough weight (thank you Ed!) and/or good chains, typically you will have enough grunt with a WH to move the snow.  However, the question remains, can you get enough weight over the front axle to keep it from sliding sideways?  Unfortunately, I don’t have any seat time on a horse pushing snow but I cleared my 250’ drive for several years with my 60” blade on my diesel Cub (before we bought “mommas” 523D and the deuce). That Cub has lots of weight over the front wheels and generally has no problem with keeping the front end planted.  I run 2 link v-bars on it normally and have 2 96# IH big tractor suitcase weights that I can throw on if I need extra traction. I made the mistake my first year using it of not pushing the snow back far enough and we had a lot of snow over the next several months.  I got to the point where I had no where to go with it. I had to call my Uncle Rog to bring over the big Case tractor and 7’ rear PTO snowblower and clear it back for me.  I learned from that and now I always be sure to blade the snow back far enough. Once those piles melt a little and refreeze, you won’t push them with a GT anymore—BTDT!  

My .02... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That should move that just fine but you may need to weight the rear tires down more.......................

Come to think of it, I’ve got a 16’ Swing Wing plow on the back of the truck, maybe I could pull it with Putt Putt?  Just need some big casters and a dry surface!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thegearhead0324

54" plow with with rear chains and wheel weights on my 1257. I enjoy doing the driveway with a classic.

20181114_213441.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1