dave647

310-8 brake band

dave647

is it advisable to clamp the new lining and external band to the drum while gluing the band material? thanks for any help

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If you have them available... I use about 5 zip ties and clamp the band to the shoe without it being near the drum so that if any glue spills over it doesn't become an issue

• Thanks 1

dave647

i am more concerned about the relaxed shape of the band and liner. is the band flexible enough to make proper contact with the drum?

ebinmaine

Mine was on a b or c series.

I don't know for sure if you have the same brake band.

I don't see that it should be a problem. They are pretty flexible. As is the liner shoe.

daveoman1966

Clamp it...When dry and released, the steel band will 'recoil' perfectly enough to retain its shape, just clear of the brake drum. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
53 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Clamp it...When dry and released, the steel band will 'recoil' perfectly enough to retain its shape, just clear of the brake drum. 

What kind of glue would you use on those brake shoes? 

dave647

goop was recommended. it is clamped and drying as we speak. thanks for all the help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KrazeyOlDave

Dave647, I’m having the same problem. Although I’m not opposed to buying a new band, I’m seeking a different option. $101 plus shipping is a tad ridiculous to me. I’ve ordered some brake band material but it’s been 4 weeks and still hasn’t shown up. My 310-8 is a restoration but certainly not a pile of poo. So I want it to be tight and alright. I’m considering a disk brake conversion. Might you remember where you got the brake material and what it was called? I’d love for it to be original but not at $101, LOL

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Dave647, I’m having the same problem. Although I’m not opposed to buying a new band, I’m seeking a different option. $101 plus shipping is a tad ridiculous to me. I’ve ordered some brake band material but it’s been 4 weeks and still hasn’t shown up. My 310-8 is a restoration but certainly not a pile of poo. So I want it to be tight and alright. I’m considering a disk brake conversion. Might you remember where you got the brake material and what it was called? I’d love for it to be original but not at $101, LOL

for a new lining, Contact Bob @rmaynard for a single brake lining. He's a vendor on here

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/151-bobs-wheel-horse-brake-linings-and-more/

If you need to stay original find a used one. contact Lincoln @A-Z Tractor or post a wanted ad in the classified section

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/169-a-z-tractor/

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

Sparky

Here’s a link to my installation of a Bob Maynard brake lining. 

• Thanks 1

KrazeyOlDave

I sent Bob a message as his website link isn’t working, hopefully I can get one coming asap. Snow is coming and I’m not ready,lol. 

rmaynard
59 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

I sent Bob a message as his website link isn’t working, hopefully I can get one coming asap. Snow is coming and I’m not ready,lol. 

Got your message. Will ship one out tomorrow. :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
On 11/14/2018 at 8:48 AM, ebinmaine said:

If you have them available... I use about 5 zip ties and clamp the band to the shoe without it being near the drum so that if any glue spills over it doesn't become an issue

I have Use Wax Paper when glue wood. I have also used non-stick Reynolds Wrap when using Heated Glue Sticks. Parchment Paper may also work I know the best Paper Tape won't stick to it.

I haven't tried any of these with epoxy so a test first might be wise.

KrazeyOlDave
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Got your message. Will ship one out tomorrow. :thumbs:

Payment sent 

Thank you