DBlackston

704 Rebuild

Chris G

Welcome to Red Square and you will definitely find tons of help and information here!

• Excellent 1

DBlackston

When I purchased this tractor the rear end was locked solid and the motor did not run. 

I have not done much small engine work as I have never had a small engine break down on me. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a diesel as well so this whole spark concept is new to me.

I tore the trans apart, and have since lost the pictures, the 1533 bushings were absolutely shot and all of the gears and shafts were pitted. (EDIT: I located some of the pictures)

I decided the trans was not worth saving and sourced an 8 speed out of a C-111 a friend had for less than the cost of 1 bearing. She definetly needs new seals though.(EDIT: See last attached picture)

I had originally planned to fabricate a SR-64 kit for this tractor to use with my WT-244 Tiller. I even sourced an original SR-64 belt cover from a member over on Facebook. Kelly Hollis. If anyone has the dimensions for the idler bar I would still love to have them.

However with the 8- Speed unit that shot the SR-64 plan in the foot.

I was also a little bummed to learn that being a 704 tractor it had a dash tower that would not accept my HY-3 unit I picked up from DJ, HCminis. Will have to put that on the 854 worker also from Dj.

FB_IMG_1542171280462.jpg

FB_IMG_1542171274936.jpg

20181113_215139.jpg

Edited by DBlackston
Found additional pictures
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

This was my 704  which I left in this condition!  Sold but it was a fun tractor to  ride!

122.JPG.a1e551147367c331229207240a36c4ed.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Looks like a great project!  Do you have pics of the 854 or your implements?

DBlackston
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

This was my 704  which I left in this condition!  Sold but it was a fun tractor to  ride!

122.JPG.a1e551147367c331229207240a36c4ed.JPG

Lane Ranger that is an amazing looking tractor.

Mine was unfortunately too far gone to leave as it was.  Too many dents and dings and busted parts. Could have never made a evenly patinad tractor out of it. 

• Like 1

DBlackston
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Looks like a great project!  Do you have pics of the 854 or your implements?

Pullstart, I actually did manage to wrangle up some photos of the 854 and some of the implements. Here you go!

They are not my photos, but from the original sale adds so please bear with me.

FB_IMG_1522708602578.jpg

FB_IMG_1522708592356.jpg

FB_IMG_1522708612479.jpg

FB_IMG_1522708581121.jpg

received_10209803741002376.jpeg

received_10209803741082378.jpeg

received_10209803740962375.jpeg

received_10209803741282383.jpeg

received_10209803741362385.jpeg

received_10209803741122379.png

received_10209803741242382.jpeg

received_1789680047721553.jpeg

received_1802777963078428.jpeg

received_1789680014388223.jpeg

Edited by DBlackston
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

DBlackston

My next project is going to be blasting my frame and all of the wheels I have.

That is after I figure out how to get the steering column, fan gear, and steering shaft out. I have all the bolts out but cannot get the steering wheel rod high enough to disengage the fan gear due to a collar hitting the dash. ( the shaft fits a very sloppy hole as well I think I may be missing some sort of bushing here.

Nor can I pull the steering rod connected to the fan gear far enough back to disengage the frame. 

I suspect I am missing a roll pin somewhere that needs removed.

While doing some more disassembly I discovered a broken fan gear tab, and a tie rod that fell apart in my hands. 

The wheels have some small dents around the lip that I have not decided how to remove yet.

I also need to remove the bushings from the feont wheels so as to not damage them during blasting. 

It's going to be a chore getting these blasted and painted! I have 10 rears and 6 fronts to do!

Also if someone could point me towards a picture uploading guide I would appreciate it. I would like to place my photos in my text instead of all at the end.

Thank you all for being so helpful here already!

20181113_215058.jpg

Edited by DBlackston
Spelling
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, DBlackston said:

would like to place my photos in my text instead of all at the end

I'll be looking forward to this build process.

Be sure to ask all the questions you can and the members here will give you any help you need.

To place pics in the middle... Leave the cursor where you want the pic to land and select the pic at the bottom from the ones you've uploaded for that thread.

Example. I cut/pasted the above sentence, hit enter to make an extra empty line, then plopped the pic in.

place pics in the middle... Leave the cursor where you want the pic

IMG952018101995203309.jpg.0b85e4130c5ac5ec25f25ec87465c58d.jpg

to land and select the pic at the bottom from the ones you've uploaded for that thread.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

WHNJ701

I said it before the 854 is best looking wheelhorse they made.  great score on everything.  for all those rims I use a tote box filled with vinagar to remove to paint and rust it takes about a week or 2.  I don't own a sandblaster, plus in my area it's expensive to get stuff blasted.  have fun getting that steering column apart!  they are a bear

• Like 1

DBlackston

Ebinmaine, thank you for the help.

Unfortunately I only have my phone for looking at Red Square. 

We live in a more rural area and I refuse to pay $120+ a month for 5mbps service.

We haven't had cable or internet for 2 years, nobody believes us when we tell them since we are in our 20s. They cant believe we live without it.

They are hanging fiber in our area though so hopefully soon I will be able to bring my desktop out of retirement and make some posts flow a little better. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, DBlackston said:

haven't had cable or internet for 2 years, nobody believes us when we tell them s

Us too!!

My honey and I have been together for 3 years. Before that neither one of us had cable. This past April I canceled internet. Like you, I am only on this phone. It is a bit restricting but the guys online here are very very helpful. Don't be afraid to pipe up and ask any little thing at all.

I don't know what kind of system you are on but I made that post from this phone. Android.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Mmmmmm that food looks 

sooooooo good . Nice haul

and can't wait to see the end results! Will be watching this one for sure.:popcorn:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

DBlackston

Along with the wheels I am going to sandblast and prime the frame.

I have two holes to fill in the frame where the PO installed a non-original throttle cable.

There are also 2 small welded on areas on the frame that I do not think are original. However I looked at my 854 and the same areas exist on it.

Can anyone tell me what these are and if they can be removed to no Ill effect?

20181112_212539.jpg

oliver2-44

One way to cleanup all those rims is an Electrolysis tank.  (google E-Tank)  Very simple and will remove rust and paint.  I put my part in, remove and clean the loose paint one a day with a stiff bristle brush. In about 3 days parts ready for a final bristle brush scrubbing and done, with very minimal labor.  

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

One way to cleanup all those rims is an Electrolysis tank.  (google E-Tank)  Very simple and will remove rust and paint.  I put my part in, remove and clean the loose paint one a day with a stiff bristle brush. In about 3 days parts ready for a final bristle brush scrubbing and done, with very minimal labor.  

I suppose I ought to quit messing around and make us up one of those here

wallfish
2 hours ago, DBlackston said:

There are also 2 small welded on areas on the frame that I do not think are original. However I looked at my 854 and the same areas exist on it.

There was a little bracket (Z shaped) welded on there for mounting the belt guard. It'll keep the belt guard from shaking and/or rattling. Look for a hole in your belt guard which would be about 1 inch or so away from the weld on the frame

• Like 2

DBlackston
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

There was a little bracket (Z shaped) welded on there for mounting the belt guard. It'll keep the belt guard from shaking and/or rattling. Look for a hole in your belt guard which would be about 1 inch or so away from the weld on the frame

That makes a lot of sense.

Is it pretty common for those to be missing?

If someone could grab a picture of one of those that would help me out. All three of my tractor's are missing it.

jebbear

:text-yeahthat: What @oliver2-44 said. Works like a charm and saves a lot of work!

• Thanks 1

Herder

Wait a minute here!!  Now this is the guy I want to go on a road trip with.  Did you see the FOOD?  Projects are projects good eats are a hole different story.

• Haha 2

DBlackston
5 hours ago, Herder said:

Wait a minute here!!  Now this is the guy I want to go on a road trip with.  Did you see the FOOD?  Projects are projects good eats are a hole different story.

Hey if I have to drive 3 states away you better believe we are going to eat some good food on the way!!!!!

You better believe I will go on vacation soley to go eat somewhere too!

• Excellent 2

DBlackston

Well guys I am off to a semi slow start on this thing. 

I did have something delivered today that should help in the cold garage though. Two big boxes of insulation for the garage doors. Here soon I also plan on adding electric heat!20181115_194907.jpg.60adbe5bc406176ddbf333c992525bd7.jpg

I also spent some time today working on a CAD Model and some drawings of a Front Axle Pivot Pin.  When they are complete I will post them up.

Mine was unfortunately broken and worn when I removed it. 20181113_215204.jpg.ee6d74a75ae6caba305cb4b2ce50cd5f.jpg

My new pin will have some additional features such as:

- A thicker tab at 3/16" instead of the factory 1/8"

- A wider tab with 1/8" of extra material either side of the pin.

- A 1/8 of stickout past the rear of the tab to allow a 1/8" fillet weld instead of the factory plug weld.

- An additional bit of length to allow the installation of a 1/8" diameter cotter pin for safe measures.

I plan on making mine out of some standard A36 for the tab and possibly 1018 or similar grade for the pin.

I have seen on the forum some replacements manufactured from stainless or from some tool steel varities.

I diskile this idea as I would much rather wear the pin out than wear the mating surfaces which I am sure are cast and low carbon steel.

Edited by DBlackston
  • Like 1

jebbear
1 hour ago, DBlackston said:

I diskile this idea as I would much rather wear the pin out than wear the mating surfaces which I am sure are cast and low carbon steel.

Totally agree. Little parts and bushings are made to wear out, big parts not so much.

• Like 2

DBlackston

Here is the finished drawing for a new Front Axle Pivot Pin Assembly.

Now to get one made!

Front Axle Pivot Pin (Mod).pdf