Vinylguy

VINYLGUY'S 857 PROJECT

19richie66

Looks great!

• Thanks 1

Vinylguy
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Terry I think that looks fantastic. We have a couple more to do here. Please keep sharing how you get that done. We'll be interested to see how it comes out.

Thanks Eric. I really like the powder coating and it does make application much easier

The mild pitting does not bother me. Pretty sure the powder coating would not work if we filled the pits anyway.

If there is a really good looking chrome paint then I would repair it first.

Will prepare a post on each step once I get the artwork perfected.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

If that's not perfect, instead of just throwing it away, drop it in the mail to me and I'll try and find a place I can hide it :teasing-neener:

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

Sweet terry! Great lookin tractor!

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

That looks great!! I agree that fighting the decal over the crease is tricky. I've managed a couple by using a salvaged CB antenna magnet base holding the plate in a vice (ya gotta have 3 hands) and working the decal around the crease using something like a credit card (OK, I save the AARP cards they send when trying to get you to join). I was happy with the results but I like your approach better. :)

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Looks fantastic Terry!!

We're going to need some o those 'round here.

Super impressed with how much easier it looks to apply.

Retired Wrencher
12 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

Powder coated the dash today.

Going to try an idea I mentioned earlier. It was powder coated black  and now it's chrome. It has some pitting but that's ok. Not looking for a show piece  just nice looking worker. 

20181130_114309.jpg.e8874f3ca748da5dc716f08195619f7f.jpg

20181130_171348.jpg.063117f3fb05f9dd139a64f3ed0921ec.jpg

Terry  I did a lot of these when I got them from you. I always made sure the surface was smooth I think 320 grit. Then wood cut the decal in half put them on one at a time.

always came out good this way .Enjoy the project.

Pullstart

Terry you’re such a pioneer!  Great work!

Sarge

I love the idea of a 3-piece solution versus using a single decal to repair those old dash panels - much easier to get the best results. The original ink stampings over steel are so hard to duplicate since all of them rusted so badly if left out in the elements even for a short time. Honestly, for this dash series you could drop the single decal and just go with this setup instead - never thought of doing it this way from the start when we got into these projects, excellent work, as always.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Shynon
7 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

I finally got the templates adjusted and have stayed up past my bed time putting this concept together.

I really like the way it turned out.

Step 1. prepare your metal dash and powder coat or paint the entire dash plate with whatever color you prefer 

I chose to try Cowboy's new chrome powder and I think it looks awesome.

I happen to think you could do a silver paint or white or maybe even linen beige

any of those would look great.

2048584965_dashrestore1.jpg.ae9c265b3f5ba21a39aa58269cff7d3f.jpg

Step 2. Get out your decals. the red die cut vinyl (Wheel Horse) decal and apply on the top of your dash.

the black letters for the rib are printed on a clear adhesive vinyl which is almost invisible on the chrome powder.

It is long, skinny and thin but really pretty easy to lay down on the rib. I found it easier to line up the word ignition

centered under the hole for the ignition switch off course. then the throttle lettering will be positioned correctly 

when laid down. then just work your way back to the left till it is all applied. You should have about a 1/16th left

hanging over each end of the rib which you trim off with your exacto knife.

801224972_dashrestore2.jpg.02512f515a7011f7304dd7cd45fdb47c.jpg

Step 3.  Remove your black and brushed chrome decal for the bottom of the dash plate from it's backing paper.

570280226_dashrestore3.jpg.96661e533ce7caa38aab7d3aa44713f8.jpg

644775711_dashrestore8.jpg.2a8935bdd412ba1f041838b81c440d4d.jpg

step 4.  position it up against the bottom of the rib with the lock arrow centered over the throttle hole.

If it is lined up close to center you will have about 1/16" of decal hanging over the left side of the plate and about 1/4" hanging over the right end and bottom.

IT should look like the following image when you turn it over to trim.

1938524160_dashrestore4.jpg.6b26a339f55b8a0e603c9b6720a353bb.jpg

493894495_dashrestore6.jpg.98fb614681235d3f9b9b0da94a2dc5cd.jpg

step 5.  turn your plate over and lay the bottom flat against your table (preferably a cutting mat)

and trim all excess decal from your plate. then turn it back over and trim out all the holes .

BOOM your done!! Much easier to install and you do not have to fight the rib trying to make the vinyl stay down in the creases.

What do ya'll think.

799698762_dashrestore7.jpg.94bbf419fe6e9022f4174adf17740ae9.jpg

I could use one of those red wheel horse decals for my original 867 that someone tried to polish it off,  :angry-banghead: no mentioning names here

Vinylguy
36 minutes ago, Shynon said:

I could use one of those red wheel horse decals for my original 867 that someone tried to polish it off,  :angry-banghead: no mentioning names here

Just so happens I know a guy.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Vinylguy
10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I love the idea of a 3-piece solution versus using a single decal to repair those old dash panels - much easier to get the best results. The original ink stampings over steel are so hard to duplicate since all of them rusted so badly if left out in the elements even for a short time. Honestly, for this dash series you could drop the single decal and just go with this setup instead - never thought of doing it this way from the start when we got into these projects, excellent work, as always.

Sarge

Have to get the rest of the dash plate files updated first but will be dropping the current decals soon. 

• Like 1

redone

Are your tractors seats professionally restored? Like to find a breat restoryer.

Thanks

Bill

Vinylguy
5 minutes ago, redone said:

Are your tractors seats professionally restored? Like to find a breat restoryer.

Thanks

Bill

Bill

I live in west Central Illinois and about 2009 a customer from a town about 50 miles from me ( which is highly unusual) purchased a set of 657 decals.

all these years later I see an ad on facebook for a 657 non runner with a K181 upgrade that is only 40 minutes away. The seat on this is not original to the tractor

and I have no idea if it is an off the shelf or a seat pan that has been reupholstered. 

WHX??

:handgestures-thumbupright: The bright accents really stand out, the belt guard against a powdered shroud is gonna be off the hook!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vinylguy

Progress has been slow but will speed up after Christmas. Ordered a new key switch from a-ztractor.com today.

I was able to get to the shop today 

And check out the engine parts that Gary got

Powder coated.  Definitely non traditional. 

The pulley was the last to get done. It is a bit darker than the hood. No idea what paint the PO

used for the hood.

After seeing it I'm thinking we should have used that powder on everything but I kind of like the 3 colors together also. Will remove the engine next winter and redo it all red if it starts bothering me.

I'll see how I like it once we reassemble everything. 

20181220_101150.jpg.539632ca691dba616e38d69e2aa91ab5.jpg

20181220_101900.jpg.7fddaee603c00d178f4b68fcb4ea4b1e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

19richie66

Looks good. Definitely has POP! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              All of those powder coated pieces will clean up easily after you get done mowing with it!            :ychain:

• Like 3

Blackhood Bill

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!:banana-rock:

WHX??

:text-yeahthat::banana-wrench:

ebinmaine

Looks great Terry. Glad to hear you got it running well.

Your hood decals would look really nice in a black and chrome theme or black and linen just to be different.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Vinylguy
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks great Terry. Glad to hear you got it running well.

Your hood decals would look really nice in a black and chrome theme or black and linen just to be different.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

You read my mind Eric. Flat black and chrome but will use the templates from the 69 charger 12

• Excellent 1