PeacemakerJack

Headed to South Bend—help to find...

PeacemakerJack

A friend of mine, Charles Wesco, has been in national and international news after his untimely death in Cameroon Africa a couple of weeks ago.  He surrended his life figuratively and literally to bring the Gospel message to the people of Cameroon back in 2015.  

A0B4B3AB-7692-4EE7-A71F-62E9E6CDC3F2.jpeg.a245b193b7a49c507949b883f5d6fd7f.jpegHe spent the next three years traveling the US with his wife and 8 children to raise financial support to make it to the field.  My dad was chosen to preach his commissioning service back in early October and they left for the field.  If you have followed the news, you will know that there has been a lot of fighting going on in that country.  He was traveling with his wife, second born son, and another missionary to pick up some cell phones at a local store when we was shot in the head and killed after having been in country only  about 11 days.  It was a shocking and tragic event that I am still trying to wrap my mind around.  He taught a Biblical lesson while at our church in 2015 and drew a chalk drawing that so impressed @Coulter Caleb That he asked for it and Charles gave it to him...

35940ECD-1A3F-463A-8B32-E7858FB248D8.jpeg.ba23f0dd7b3f250037437c56ba4bbfc4.jpeg

I happened upon it while cleaning the shed only a few days ago.  His funeral will be held in South Bend tomorrow afternoon.  Dad and I are traveling down tonight late and will have our morning free.  

My question for those of you that live in the area or know the landmarks...”What Wheel Horse places of importance can we visit and take pictures of/at?”  I’m unaware of any :wh: museums in town but any recommendations would be much appreciated.  Maybe an old factory, the Pond houses, old dealerships, etc.  It will be a very emotionally draining and difficult afternoon for both of us and a little levity in the morning will be a good thing!:handgestures-thumbup:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Razorback

I saw the news articles. Good to know that someone here knew him! An amazing man and his family! We will remember all in prayer.... we have a funeral Tuesday. Wife’s aunt. Another awesome Christian that walked the walk and is enjoying now everything she has believed her whole life!

Life goes on.......

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'll put some thought into that Josh but there really isn't a lot of the old Wheel Horse stuff here anymore. There's the plant that was their last location here and I live about a mile from it. Although it shows no signs of Wheel Horse now I still like to reminisce about my tour through it back in the late 70's or early 80's every time I drive by it. At least one of their yearly brochures has the model line up for that year sitting out front. Then there's the Studebaker museum. 25-30 years ago I was walking through their old location downtown while I was designing a fire alarm system for it. I was in areas not accessible to the public when I spotted some red under plastic tarps. I asked about it and they showed me. It was quite a few Wheel Horses that had been on display at their plant and were move to the museum for safe storage after Toro closed the plant. The museum is now in a new location and I heard that they have at least some of them on display. I haven't been there since we moved back so I can't confirm that. There's also Chandlers but their :wh: sign came down a few years ago. That's where I purchased my 1976 new and was reunited with it shortly after we moved back.  Knowing that you're coming here I'll put more thought into it. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

I had seen the story on this but weren’t aware you knew him. Sad really that there are people in this world that place no value on another’s life. Sorry to hear about this and will be wishing you and your dad the best while you travel. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

I read the story online sounded like he was a really good person but I just  don't understand how a father would take his 8 innocent little kids and wife to a dangerous 3rd world country to do what he did. 

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1

Howie

Was at the Studebaker Museum in October, they have Wheel Horse's in their lower storage then. There are

only just a few. I have wanted to go by the plant sight but did not know exactly which one it was. Chandler's

I know where it was. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Josh, I didn’t hear about this news, but then again sometimes I feel like I live under a rock.  I’m saddened by this and pray for healing in his family and friends.  Safe travels!

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Well...Dad and I just got back to the hotel after a little searching around based on the Wheel Horse book.  I’m not confident that we found the original Elmer Pond house with the little garage but we did spend some time on Donald drive and there are several house/garage combos that could’ve been it, if it still exists. EAA7DD14-B2DD-458E-9C7B-9D6DFE86BABB.jpeg.b9476021b4342607fd673995858302f4.jpeg

We did however make it to 515 West Ireland Road where the big factory was built in the mid 60’s from page 78 of the book. 

B96D3CA4-B207-4424-AADB-65D44F2EB7E5.jpeg.48b055ee35117eed9fdafdd41fb5c807.jpeg

The area is a cool setting for an industrial spot with rolling hills and the factory sits on a knoll.

94E8F418-26A6-416E-A273-A0053FE16567.thumb.jpeg.e2cb2e15818f9c697b90d67e803ebcfc.jpeg

Neat to visit it with my dad and to think that both his 953 and his 875 were produced at that location...

D29A2751-1CBC-4DB4-87CD-3FACF9AFA353.jpeg.347bccc8287f6a7ba681187eb625175e.jpeg

We did have to chuckle thinking about the fact that we were standing in a Toyota dealership taking pictures across the street at the location that once was the hub of the most successful GT producer in the world.  Could you imagine taking Cecil out in 1964 and pointing him due south and telling him that one day there would be large new car dealership there? I could see him asking if it would be GM, Ford, or Chrysler and you telling him it would be a Japanese brand called Toyota!  Imagine what he would say...!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  We are preparing nownto head to the funeral.  I will update later on that as well.

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

Should any of you care to watch the service it will be starting in a couple of minutes and will livestream at...

cameroon4god.com

packed house for sure...

56FE8965-BECE-44E9-BED8-3F2817956BEE.jpeg.2f37b27aee281fc3b05b22e6bdbf683c.jpeg

3717BA88-66E1-4B4C-9001-4E00D65C6DA7.jpeg.838a66cb3c2cb5ccfb8eae09ce38de23.jpeg

• Like 3

wh500special

Sorry for the loss of your friend. 

I wish I had seen this sooner, but haven’t been checking in. 

I love South Bend.   My wife and I lived there for a few years and regret mowing away.   It has been -by far- my favorite hometown.  

Most of the WH sites are vastly changed from the old days when Elmer and Cecil were chunking out future collectibles.  

The Ireland Road and Metalmation buildings are still there, but obviously have adapted to their new owners since closing the the 1990’s. 

The company I used to work for looked into buying the Ireland Rd plant when Toro put it up for sale.  Apparently came pretty close to a deal.  But there were some serious on-site environmental problems and they couldn’t afford to risk liability from them.   Lockjoint is bigger with deeper pockets and I guess the risk was less for them.  

As as an aside, near Lockjoint’s old location in the northwestern edge of downtown near the river, legend has it that when the railroad abandoned one set of tracks they buried an old locomotive in place. 

The old Dixieway north plant was on the corner of Auten Rd and US31 (SR933).  There is an osco drug (might be a CVS or Walgreens...don’t recall) on the location now.  Still standing just to be west of the drugstore is an old building that was part of the Pond operation.  Across the street on the south side of Auten is pond street where I think the old Elmer household and first garage is/was. 

Next door to he drugstore on the north side was Chandlers.    The first Wheel Horse dealership.   They closed within the last couple of years and I think Duke Horsefixer cleaned them out of several of their old treasures.   I don’t know if he or someone else got hold of the Lever steer they had in one of the pole barns.  

Jim B, the most recent owner of Chandler’s, told me to “watch the obituaries and talk to my wife” when I inquired if he wanted to sell the Lever. 😎

when Toro moved from Ireland Rd, the bulk of the collection of their on-site museum went to storage at The Studebaker National museum.  But about ten years ago Toro sent their trucks returning from the Indy Speedway to retrieve their artifacts.   So, the Museum now just has a few privately owned WH treasures.   

A few blocks to the west of the Ireland rd plant is an old salvage yard.  That was apparently the final destination for all the stuff Toro couldn’t haul to Minneapolis when they left  south bend in the rear view mirror.  Several guy related to me how many unidrives

and d250 parts they pitched.  The unidrives were evidently a bunch of warranty replacements from early troubles with the sundstrand 

Hydros. 

South Bend has a lot to offer.  Aside from winter being a little long, the weather is great.  Summer is wonderful and spring and fall are great.  Lots to do and a lot of places to fish 🎣.  With Notre Dame being there, there are great opportunities that you otherwise wouldn’t see in a 200k metro area. 

I’d move back there tomorrow given the opportunity.  

Again, sorry for the loss of

your friend.   Hope you had a nice trip. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1