Chris G

1978 Speedex 1130

Chris G

So I have had several of the more rounded hood speedex tractors. They are fun,  but I have always wanted one of the more squared hood speedex tractors. Well I found one. It came with a 13hp Honda engine on it. But I did get a bunch of extra parts and two 11hp Briggs engines from other speedex tractors. So I can make it original. The best part is the snow blade. I have looked for one of these for along time, they are the coolest thing to me. Because with another bracket you remove the blade and flip it upside down and then attach it to the back for a grader blade. This blade is only 40in and not the 44. But I'm OK with that, being the widest part of the wheel base is only 31 1/4 wide at the rear. So here it is and I will be working g in this for a winter project. The other tractor in pic is what's left of a 1968 speedex S-17. But there is some good parts there. Also the last pic is a photo of a advertisement for the blade, so you can see what I'm talking about with flipping it.

20181110_162235.jpg

20181110_162245.jpg

20181110_162309.jpg

20181110_162320.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-23-43-32.png

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 9

Razorback

Cool!!! Congratulations on finding your Speedex! They ARE fun tractors, and I like mine a LOT!

I had no idea that blade could be flipped and used on the rear.

Keep us posted on the work you do to yours!

Here's mine........ it's amazing how much you can do with a 16hp Briggs engine and some bar stock!

DSCF2270.JPG

DSCF3658.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Nice find Chris!

I'll be following along...

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:very utilitarian and unique.  Can’t wait to see it refreshed with the “Chris touch”.

I always get a kick out of seeing AG tires installed backwards as they are very much one directional tires—:confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, PeacemakerJack said:

Can’t wait to see it refreshed with the “Chris touch”.

Agreed !!!

1 minute ago, PeacemakerJack said:

always get a kick out of seeing AG tires installed backwards as they are very much one directional tires—

Folks do the silliest things....

• Like 1

WHX??
30 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:very utilitarian and unique.  Can’t wait to see it refreshed with the “Chris touch”.

I always get a kick out of seeing AG tires installed backwards as they are very much one directional tires—:confusion-scratchheadyellow:

:text-yeahthat:

Nice :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Pretty sure Karl tried starting up a Speedex forum a few years ago, but had no interest. Didn't make sense to me, being that they're in the same Pond family.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

WHX??

Interesting Craig...all I know is I see one lying it the weeds it's coming home.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

A new listing here in my area...

00p0p_4QfrHqDqmE8_1200x900.jpg

...owner is in LOVE with it though. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 3

Chris G

Well thanks everyone for the comments and I will definitely keep the pics coming as I go. First thing is to tackle the transmission and then all the little stuff. Then I will evaluate the patina preservation or restore decision. @AMC RULES I Seen that one listed myself. I would agree there's a emotional attachment with that price. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

This '66 model...

00t0t_778EXJ94l5a_1200x900.jpg

...must be the "round" hood models you were talking about Chris? 

• Like 1

Chris G

@AMC RULES yuppers. I have had a several of those. There good machines. I just like the look of the small frame and large frame models with the squared hoods. Also if any members here have a speedex and are unsure of the year, let me know and i can help ya out with that.

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Seems like a motivated seller listing that one...

listing three attachments, plus the tractor for 6 bills. 

Chris G

Ya that's a fair price for sure. Usually the round hood S-23,S-24 and the large frame square hood models like the 1632 and so on are the higher priced machines. But the are out there. Guess it's just a matter of finding one your comfortable wit condition and price wise.

AMC RULES

What was the first, and last year of Speedex production Chris? 

Chris G

I'm pretty sure the first speedex was the model B in 1938/39 and the last speedex was in 1999. The round hood style started in 1959 and went until the early seventies. Then switched to the square hood styles and a lot of them were known as the American series. But here's a chart for the S series year identification ( 1st phot below). The serial number for s series is stamped on the outside of frame under engine on the passenger side ( second photo below). And square body is same place on opposite side. The square frame usually first four digits is the model number and last four tells the year. Take the last four digits and the first 2 are the year. Like mine in last photo below is model 1130 and 78 is the year.

post-75926-0-25802900-1500913958.jpg

20181111_103148.jpg

20181111_103400.jpg

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 2

Chris G

Well I tore in to the transmission today. It was filled with water and all sorts of junk. So i drained it out and flushed it a few times. Then went into cleaning all the pieces and got everything back to working order. When I take the machine all apart I will fully dismantle the transmission and clean again. But for know it's all functional and has nothing binding it up and shifts smooth as can be. It's a T-92 transmission. They were used in some other machines as well, like the Jim dandys and power kings. There actually still building these transmissions as well. First three pics are when I drained it and first opened it up. Last is when I put back together with some fresh gear oil. If ya look close you can see the line were the water was sitting at. Also to refill these it's 8oz of 90 gear oil.

20181112_101331.jpg

20181112_101323.jpg

20181112_101341.jpg

20181112_110021.jpg

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Chris G I think @roadapples has a Speedex.  Did Speedex have the motor on a slide to engage the drive belt?

• Like 1

Chris G

@elcamino/wheelhorse yes they did. The engine slid forward to tension the belt and back to take tension off. I know at one point they became stationary motors and then went back to the sliding motor.

• Like 1

WHX??

Tranny looking pretty knarly Chris but we have faith in you ...need any help use your shout out! :D

• Thanks 1

Razorback
3 hours ago, Chris G said:

@elcamino/wheelhorse yes they did. The engine slid forward to tension the belt and back to take tension off. I know at one point they became stationary motors and then went back to the sliding motor.

Our 1981 model 1631 slides on the rails to tighten the belt. It’s a real hoot! Talk about NOT over-engineered.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

They appear to be tough tractors . Only seen in pictures. 

• Like 1

roadapples
5 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Chris G I think @roadapples has a Speedex.  Did Speedex have the motor on a slide to engage the drive belt?

YES. Mine's an S19, 1972 I think.

Really Freddy Flintstone, but it works...

• Like 3