GarySeever

Front blade mounting on Commando 8

GarySeever

Just picked up a front blade . Wondering if anyone has any pictures of how the lift assembly looks and hookes up. 42" blade thanks

gwest_ca

The 1968 blade manual. Click on the picture

Garry

peter lena

very good basic blade and mounting set up, I use spring clips in the two small holes on the rear axel lever arms, you don't want the rear part of the frame suddenly coming out of the lever arms. I also bolt on center lift point , with bolt /washers ,and elastic lock nut, again preventing a noisy/ sloppy fit and ensuring it all stays in place. Lubricate lower blade swing arm triangle to frame, also lubricate the steering quadrant and angle pin slide. the lubrication detail will make for effortless blade swing , the bolt on linkage will make things work like they are supposed to . the detailing is my own experience, you do not have to do this, hope it works out for you , pete 

• Thanks 1

Horse Play

On my 1967 blade, I cannot use bolts on the center lift arm.  Mine has round stock welded on to use hairpins, just like what is shown in the manual above. 

LengerichKA88

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got the rear end attached via the bracket, but I’m having a helluva time figuring out how to get the lift part attached. 

LengerichKA88

Nevermind, I didn’t see the manual at first, got ‘Er now! 

Wont let me upload any photos though 

LengerichKA88

Our Front Index Rod (#7714) is all bent up and doesn’t quite move like it should. Should be an easy fix, if anyone is willing to take some measurements for me! It would be greatly appreciated. 

A picture of how it lines up (correctly) would be appreciated as well!!

pfrederi

I use cable.  Easier to adjust as needed and also lets you lay the angling handle down flat (with out bending \dislocating  the solid rod) so you can roll the tractor right into position to hook up.  Of course I no longer mount /demount the blade... Stays on full time.  Can't get a better pic at the moment as the snow horses are still napping in the storage shed

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
On 11/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, pfrederi said:

I use cable.  Easier to adjust as needed and also lets you lay the angling handle down flat (with out bending \dislocating  the solid rod) so you can roll the tractor right into position to hook up.  Of course I no longer mount /demount the blade... Stays on full time.  Can't get a better pic at the moment as the snow horses are still napping in the storage shed

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

That’s not a bad idea! I’ll have to talk withbthe FIL, we may have the stuff laying around to do that! 

I do have another plow related wiestion though: 

have i I hooked this up wrong, or am I supposed to just keep that arm out of the way? It wouldn’t fit through the hole onnthe plow, so I figured it was specifically for the mower deck, but then it got wedges against the cotter pin and wouldn’t let the blade travel upward. I currently have it zip tied up and out of the way. (Picture below)

9734ECE3-D64D-418F-991E-AAF0CD51E84D.jpeg

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

have i I hooked this up wrong, or am I supposed to just keep that arm out of the way?

There are 2 ways to hook up a Wheelhorse plow.

One is to have a chain or links from the lift lever to the bar you show which is also used for the mower.

This set up gives the plow the weight of it's self by gravity only.

It appears you have a solid bar which is known as a down pressure bar.

That hooks directly from the lift handle to the plow frame allowing you to push down on the plow when in use.

I found that to be very handy when plowing my gravel driveway yesterday.

You did right to tie that other lift link out of the way.

@pfrederi thanks for the idea of changing the solid rod to a cable.

On 11/10/2018 at 12:47 PM, peter lena said:

I use spring clips in the two small holes on the rear axel lever arms, you don't want the rear part of the frame suddenly coming out of the lever arms***************

. Lubricate lower blade swing arm triangle to frame, also lubricate the steering quadrant and angle pin slide. the lubrication detail will make for effortless blade swing , the bolt on linkage will make things work like they are supposed to . the detailing is my own experience, you do not have to do this, hope it works out for you , pete 

Good info there.

What do use for lube in cold weather??

• Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

Thanks @ebinmaine! I’d rather ask a redundant or seemingly obvious question and make sure things are correct, than assume and end up breaking something. 👍🏻👍🏻

• Thanks 1

dirttrackmikey688
On 11/10/2018 at 3:25 PM, LengerichKA88 said:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got the rear end attached via the bracket, but I’m having a helluva time figuring out how to get the lift part attached. 

Me too 

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, dirttrackmikey688 said:

Me too 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Scroll up to post #2 in this thread. 

If you click on the picture you can download the manual for your plow. 

Any pics you can get of your own setup would be handy for us too see what you've got. 

peter lena

@GarySeever  https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=UP97DF&PC=UP97&q=wheel+horse+plow+attachment   picture reference , lots of ideas for this set up , also go after the steering quadrant  lubrication detailing , use an elastic lock nut  , to the bolt thru  swing points . so you can tighten in the sweet spot for movement and hold it with the nut , also lubricate as you go , do not count on rusty areas to move easily . recently did my plow change over on 2 of my horses . pete