AHenry014

Last Nights Grab, the Elusive 418-C

AHenry014

Thank you sir! I was just shopping for a new seat so ill certainly look into that one.  

AHenry014
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

really good recovery on that horse, the mental view of seeing what you have, is the way to go , no matter what you find , the fact that you are getting after it, is steadily making it better . picked up a high back seat at , BRIANS FARM & FLEET , EXACT W/H BOLT PATTERN. receipt # s , blain # 334639, mfg. item #  11500bk01un, deluxe high - back seat. internet. keep it going , Pete

Also, I used to live in Ledyard (rather, Gales Ferry) on Inchcliffe dr.  Nice part of the state.  

AHenry014
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

really good recovery on that horse, the mental view of seeing what you have, is the way to go , no matter what you find , the fact that you are getting after it, is steadily making it better . picked up a high back seat at , BRIANS FARM & FLEET , EXACT W/H BOLT PATTERN. receipt # s , blain # 334639, mfg. item #  11500bk01un, deluxe high - back seat. internet. keep it going , Pete

Just ordered one, thank you! 80 bucks shipped to my door.  After your comment, i realized how much better it would look with a new seat.  And no more wet behind due to saturated foam.  Nice!!  Next step is to fix up the steering, and shes all done till i get bored and take her down for paint work.  

peter lena

good for you, yes that seat is sweet ,what's up with the steering? pete

AHenry014

It steers okay but the upper bushing is shot. Need to remove the upper hood stand and fashion a nicer bearing on there. Shouldn’t be too hard, just need to measure and order something, then suffer through getting the steering wheel off. 

AHenry014

Ahh perfect. Thank you! 

• Like 1

AHenry014

I ordered a new steering tube (the piece that goes below the steering wheel between it and the hood stand) and the previously mentioned flanged bearing.  Still need to try and get the steering wheel off.  I have read some horror stories, but will give it a shot and report back.  

I have been wanting Ag tires for the longest time now over the course of many tractors.  I felt like this was the first to really deserve them.  I poked around and decided on the Carlisle Tru Powers in 23x10.50-12 due to supposedly running the largest in that size and IMO looking the best.  I found them for 99 bucks each on Amazon, but since there is an Amazon warehouse in CT, i pay sales tax, so i was looking at 211 delivered.  As i was looking around, i got an email from eBay with a coupon for 10% of anything! I had some play money in my paypal, so to ebay i went to see what kind of deals i could find.  I found them for 210 for the pair, less 10%, which put me at 190 or so shipped for the pair, no sales tax, and i had them in 2 business days.  Awesome!!  Here they are sitting next to my new seat.  Thanks @peter lena

So my plan is to get the rest of the paint off the chrome wheels and get them shining again.  I will then be installing the ag's and taking them to a tire shop to be filled with Rim Guard, which is essentially beet juice.  23x10.50's are specified to fit approx 7 gallons of fluid in each, which makes sense, as that is about the amount that it took to fill my last set with windshield washer fluid.  Referencing this website: https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/homesteading/tractors-farm-equipment/ballast-the-tractor-tire-fluids-rundown/, i can assume that WWF is the same weight as water @ 8lbs/gallon, so i was looking at approx 56 lbs in each rear.  Per the same website, it states that rim guard/beet juice to be 30% heavier than water, yeilding a weight of approx 73 lbs each.  This is confirmed on Rim Guards website.  I found a local spot that does it for 2.79/gallon.  Comparing that to the general price of windshield washer fluid at 2 bucks/gallon, i would be saving less than 14 bucks.  I figure it is worth my time to try the Rim Guard.  I hope to get that done and some pictures up on Saturday.  I picked up some Cub weights as well (~35lbs each), and plan to bolt those to the INSIDE of the wheel, so i can continue to show off the chrome through the winter.  

IMG_2265.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

You are going to love that tire setup!I have eight gallons of RV Antifreeze and 50 pounds of wheel weights on each tire on my 418-C as well as tire chains on 10.50 turfs and it is unstoppable. Our driveway is rather steep and I can plow snow up and down with no wheel spin.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AHenry014

Oh you were able to get 8 gallons in them?! Awesome! Ill have the tire place fit as much as they can in there.  I hope to do so tomorrow and i will report back with pictures of course!

On a side note, i picked up another Kohler twin last night.  Its a vertical shaft 20 horse magnum from a Scag mower.  The owner bought the mower for parts and never tried to start the engine.  Its free and came with the remote oil filter goods, so i figured it was well worth the 60 bucks i paid for it.  At worst, i just bought myself a parts motor that i can snag the carb, voltage regulator (just replaced mine, ahh!!), tins, coil, etc. from when i need soemthing.  Best case is that i rebuild it, convert it to horizontal shaft, and stick it on a well deserving WH.  What say you RS?

Edited by AHenry014
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

good going on your projects  and your shopping!  on that steering bearing I used a 2 bolt flange 3/4" cast iron bearing , eBay 7 $ , with the console are pulled apart its a great upgrade, I have a picture that I will send you , pete

Herder

Please note 953's comment, he refers to RV Antifreeze.  If you have a Tractor Supply store that is local to you their RV Antifreeze is good to -50 and runs about $3.00 per gallon so you can dilute it 50/50. keep in mind the RV Antifreeze is an alcohol base and will not effect the rubber or plastic it is also considered to pet safe.  Windshield Wash has Methanol in it and will over time have an effect on the tube or tire valve insert. I was not aware of beet juice, I am going to look into it.   

• Thanks 1

peter lena

953 nut
6 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

Best case is that i rebuild it, convert it to horizontal shaft, and stick it on a well deserving WH.

:text-yeahthat:     I have read a few posts about converting the vertical shaft Kohler twins ti horizontal and plan to do this on a future project. From what I recall you will need the intake manifold, and breather assemblies from a horizontal engine and drill oil drain holes for the valve springs. Dip stick and drain plug will need to be relocated and the oil pump pick-up as well. The crank shaft will be a bit longer but could be cut.

When you dive into it please share your experience with us.            :wwp:

• Like 2

AHenry014

Picked up the filled tru powers today!! The guys that filled them said he was able to get 12 gallons in each of them, but im guessing he meant 12 gallons total.  Breaking it down, they weigh in at about 100 lbs each.  Carlisles website says the tire weighs approx 25lbs.  If he got 6 gallons in there, the beet juice should weigh about 63 lbs alone.  63 + 25 = 88lbs.  100lbs total minus 88 lbs gives me a 12lb wheel, which sounds about right.  In any event, Im happy with the outcome.  They charged me 60 bucks out the door, which i thought was reasonable.  

I had a lucky find last night.  The guy i sold my last 312 to put up a pair of ag tires for sale.  He put up only one photo.  Took one look at it and shot him a message, ILL TAKE EM!!! 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Tru Powers on wheels for 40 bucks!! And he delivered them to my car when i was walking out of work today.  Super excited to happen into matching front tires to my new rears.  Ill be filling them with windsheild washer fluid that i have on hand once i figure out if the wheels they are on fit my 418.  They supposedly came off a Craftsman GT6000.  I think the bearing width might be a bit narrow looking at them, so ill likely be swapping them to a set of WH wheels prior to installation.  

Ill get some more pictures up once i get everything installed.  I think ill be running all the rear wheel weights that i have.  It will weigh it at about 185lbs on each rear corner.  I have a pair of 8" simplicity weights coming my way for the front as well, so it should be quite the tank this winter.  

ag's for dayz.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

once i figure out if the wheels they are on fit my 418.  They supposedly came off a Craftsman GT6000.  I think the bearing width might be a bit narrow looking at them, so ill likely be swapping them to a set of WH wheels prior to installation. 

Yes, the axles on the 418-C are a bit longer than most. That will be a nice looking setup!      :text-bravo:

richmondred01

Here’s an ag set up on a 418-8. 

Shes a beast. I hate to part with her but will be selling come the new year. Definitely a unicorn only made in 1986. 

B4D4AF36-DA6C-4D8F-86BE-5991AE016AB7.jpeg.a11b17e7dccf45c9344a4401e3b2d2f8.jpeg

• Sad 1

WVHillbilly520H

Or 520 style with matching OTR LAWN TRAC R1S...23x10.50-12r 16x7.50-8f...and from the rear (fluid filled as well 15 gallons total what I got charged for last Friday so about 7+/- gallons each plus 2 sets of iron weights on each wheel) on my plow 520.

IMAG5470.jpg

IMAG5471.jpg

IMAG5493.jpg

• Excellent 1

AHenry014

I believe your photo of the cub weights on the inside of the wheel was the reason i went hunting for a pair! 

Ill take a look at the extra pair of wheels i have on hand and compare them to the 418C wheels.  The extra WH wheels i have fit my 314H from last winter.  So if the 418 front wheels are specific, i am not sure i want the Ag's on them.  I feel like they will tear up my yard when mowing in the summer (anyone have experience with that?).  Figure i may leave the carlisles on the 418 wheels and swap seasonally with the Ag's.  Ill just run a spacer to account for the width difference.  Thoughts?

Edited by AHenry014
  • Like 1

Sarge

I run mine pretty hard with ags on the front in the summer mowing - as long as you don't banzai the thing through turns it won't hurt the turf any more than turf tires. It's a misnomer that the ags will hurt the grass - at least if you have decent soil without a ton of sand in it. Now, that said, if you have very wet spots they will leave some interesting tracks behind until the next rain washes them away...lol.

Sarge

AHenry014

That's good news! They look really cool and i would love not to have to worry about swapping them off.  I didnt get a chance to mess with them last night.  Tomorrow night i will be able to.  I will collect all my rims/tires and decide the best course of action. 

AHenry014

Got the Ag's on last night.  I weighed both rears and found one to be nearly 10lbs heavier than the other.  I know it makes me sound a little nutty, but i corrected that before installing them.  Just had do drain a little less than a gallon out of the heavier one.  After that, the rears went on pretty smoothly after figuring out the best way to bolt two sets of wheel weights on.  Dang those suckers are heavy!!  I didnt weigh them prior to installation, but like i said before, im guesstimating nearly 185lbs on each rear wheel.  

The fronts went together pretty easily.  I decided to use the stock 418C wheels.  I did not investigate the extra WH wheels i have.  The extra wheels i have already have turfs on them, so why bother digging those out of the shed and removing the tires to install the ag's vs just using the stock wheels.  6 of one, half dozen of another situation, though i didnt have to deal with any spacing issues, so that was an added bonus. I am becoming a pro at 8" tire swaps! It is nice having my own tire mounting machine to at least break the bead on them, but of course the machine only goes down to a 9" wheel, so i grabbed the screwdrivers yet again.  I mounted them, repopped the bead on one side, and filled each with 2 gallons of WWF.  Bit of a learning curve getting them to reseat but at the end of the day i got it done.  

She looks mean.  Now just to finish my new seat installation and get to work on the steering/hood stand.

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Edited by AHenry014
  • Excellent 5

richmondred01

Looks good.

19richie66

Really good!

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

Got the Ag's on last night...