Last Nights Grab, the Elusive 418-C

Razorback

Very nice!

• Like 1

elliot ness

Nice Machine.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              I'm a fan of the 418-C for snow removal, that hydro lift and Eaton Hydro coupled with a Kohler twin is great.   Makes a good leaf blower too.

101_2543.JPG.cc2b29828d6282dbb04a0f8ac47b8afb.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

19richie66

Very good machine. I have the A model and it is a workhorse for sure. You’ll love the power and it’s ability. Good score!

• Like 1

Tankman
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              I'm a fan of the 418-C for snow removal, that hydro lift and Eaton Hydro coupled with a Kohler twin is great.   Makes a good leaf blower too.

Very nice Mr. Squid! How did you mount the squirrel cage?

Could you Sir post a few pic's? Sir? I need one too!

(Take notice of how polite this Jarhead is when he needs wants something. :ROTF:

At Camp Lejeune we used rakes. Aboard the USS Guam, stood in chow lines.

Last for morning chow call, forget it. You would be 1st for lunch.  

Thinking, "Greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt!"  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 5

LengerichKA88

That is a fantastic looking tractor! Congrats!

953 nut
1 hour ago, Tankman said:

Mr. Squid! How did you mount the squirrel cage?

Could you Sir post a few pic's? Sir? I need one too!

(Take notice of how polite this Jarhead is when he needs wants something.

Semper Fidelis!

The framework for the blower fan is simply some scrap angle iron welded to an old mule drive. It is about six inches off the ground and the position was determined by the length of an old belt I had hanging on the shop wall at the time. I will take a few pictures of it tomorrow.

Squid!

:ROTF:         My first duty station in the Navy was an AKA (Attack Kargo Amphibious; Navy couldn't spell Cargo). As an Assault Boat Coxswain we transported Jarheads and their equipment to the beach heads in Mike Boats (landing craft) and dropped the bow door so you could slog through the knee deep water, dig a foxhole to sleep in and eat "C" rations. After dropping you off we returned to the ship, took a shower, had a hot meal and slept in a dry bed. Never regretted my decision to join the Navy.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

The Tuul Crib

Jealousy is starting to set in here !:blink:

• Haha 1

Tankman

My USN uncles called me a bellhop.

If ever again, I would be a squid!

The mess hall was better than C-Rations! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

LengerichKA88
28 minutes ago, Tankman said:

If ever again, I would be a squid!

Such Blasphemy, and right before our 243rd birthday! Chesty is spinning in his grave right now:ychain:

• Haha 2

Tankman
11 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

Such Blasphemy, and right before our 243rd birthday! Chesty is spinning in his grave right now:ychain:

How right you are.

Once a Jarhead, always a Jarhead! :handgestures-thumbupright:

richmondred01

Great tractor.

I have the 418-8 with the electric lift.

The m18 is a good engine however, the valves aren’t adjustable so the stems need to be ground and fitted if required. 

PeacemakerJack

Welcome to the 418-C club.  They are tough, fast, stout little tractors and since they are one year only machines, they are pretty scarce. I love the fact that they have a simpler electrical system and beefed up wear point spots like the front axle spindles.  

EA4BF6A2-F14D-4E19-9F4B-A7E5BB1E98E5.jpeg.4fd9d2dd1904f68c5befd19abc79a166.jpeg

My son bought this one about a year ago and it needed some work to straighten out PO problems.  However, mechanically we have it pretty well squared away now and have had the opportunity to use it all summer and fall—Great Tractor!  My son loves how fast it is hence his giving it the name “JackRabbit”.  We are hoping to refurbish it this winter and have it looking really sharp next spring.

I think that you got a good deal on your machine. It looks to have been well cared for and should continue to serve you well.

It it would be really interesting to park one of these directly beside a 418-A model to compare and contrast. 🤔 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Tankman

Was always Kohler :handgestures-thumbupright: . Now enjoy my Onan too! Sounds like a Harley too!

The '90 520-8 works without any groans. Must've went to Paris Island. :eusa-think:

F249B53F-F162-4A8A-9A51-F7FB19A09FC4.jpeg.8a7b9b524e3907e49eac933c9a044b56.jpeg

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
41 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Was always Kohler :handgestures-thumbupright: . Now enjoy my Onan too! Sounds like a Harley too!

The '90 520-8 works without any groans. Must've went to * San Diego. :eusa-think:

F249B53F-F162-4A8A-9A51-F7FB19A09FC4.jpeg.8a7b9b524e3907e49eac933c9a044b56.jpeg

Fixed it for ya 😂😂

• Haha 1

953 nut
21 hours ago, Tankman said:

Squid! How did you mount the squirrel cage?

Could you Sir post a few pic's? Sir?

Nothing fancy, just some scrap angle iron and an old mule drive. Had to do a little trimming on the left side to clear the tire.

100_0113.JPG.dfec313ea3301272f47b605280212972.JPG100_0119.JPG.504ed2a108c620b72120babbc840d3b5.JPG100_0115.JPG.b580be699c098b0c16d9a37699664f47.JPG100_0116.JPG.df21c37fbf689072c41b81f80b43e1c9.JPG

• Thanks 1

AHenry014

That blower is really cool!! My neighbors would love if i can up and down our private road with one of those!! 

Nothing too exciting to report on this tractor just yet.  I was busy for most of the weekend getting two of my other WH tractors cleaned up and listed for sale.  I was able to clear the cost of the 418-C by selling my very nice 312-8 with bagger and plow setup.  I bought that tractor from the original owner who happened to be a neighbor of mine.  I had the original sales receipt for it at about 3300 dollars in 1991, plus tax!   2600 for the tractor, 400 for the mower deck, and 300 for the bagger setup!  Add the sales tax and he paid about 3500 for it.  Accounting for inflation, that tractor would have retailed around 6 grand less the plow setup and less tax!  

I picked up another 312-8 a couple weeks ago for a really great price.  It came with a very nice 42" plow, plastic weights, and a pair of chains.  Someone installed 8" wheels on it at some point as well.   It was one of those finds where i was lucky to see the ad within 40 minutes of it being posted.  I tossed around the idea of keeping it around for parts, but it was honestly in too good of shape for that.  I put new fuel lines/filter on it, choke cable, and cleaned the carb out.  It runs beautifully!  I have that one currently listed for sale with the plow setup with some interest so far, just no lookers.

As for the 418-C, I removed the 48" mowing deck and was pleased to see overall good condition and newer blades.  Ill be removing the deck belt to check, but the spindles turn very smoothly.  The deck looks original, but hard to say.  Is there anything that makes a commercial deck different than the standard? 

I removed the plastic wheel weights that it came with and sold them with my nicer 312.  I took some cleaner and a rag to one rear wheel and boy does she shine up!  After tinkering for a while, this is what it needs/what i will be doing:

-Front tie rods are very worn.  One was bent, so i tried bending it back, but it snapped.  I welded it back together with plans for new ones.  

-Front tires are worn.  I have a spare pair of Carlisle turfs ill be putting on there to match the rears.  

-Rebuild the carb

-Replace the choke cable

-Replace the spark plugs

-Change the oil

-Clean the oil breather/baffle

-Replace the ignition switch.  I pulled the factory one off there to find loose and rusty terminals.  A new one is on the way. 

-Trace the wiring.  There's some interesting things going on with the wiring so i will be reversing all that back to factory.  I think someone had issues with the ignition switch and tried to bypass some things. 

-Steering column bushing/bearing.  I will be removing the steering wheel for disassembly to see what needs to be replaced.  

Ill also work on getting some pictures for you guys. 

• Like 4

AHenry014

Ill have more pictures up shortly, but i am in need of help.  I cant seem to locate the correct carb rebuild kit for the Walbro that is on there.  It ran OK, but with all the work i am doing, i wanted to make sure i got in there and got it cleaned out.  The bowl was a little dirty and the needle fell apart when i touched it.  I bought this part carb kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Kohler-25-757-02-S-Carburetor/dp/B0014CCA0Q

but the needle is too large and the seat is not replaceable. 

i think i might need this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-CARB-REBUILD-Walbro-M8-M10-M12-M14-M16/140892169040?hash=item20cdd3e350:g:kvEAAOxygo9Q5~OM:rk:4:pf:0

but it does not list the m18 engine.  

At the end of the day, i think all i need is a bowl gasket and a needle.  Does anyone have part numbers for those individually.  Might try to pick them up on my way home today.  

pfrederi

For a Walbro with the fixed main jet this may work

carb.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

richmondred01
37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

For a Walbro with the fixed main jet this may work

carb.JPG

Yep that’s the one.

let it soak overnight in cleaner and blow it out good. 

AHenry014

Finally got her back on her feet on Saturday. She runs quite well now with the rebuilt carb. Everything works well but I believe I witnessed the moment it stopped charging the battery. I’ll need to check into this the next time I get to pull it into the garage. Anywho, here’s some pics! The part of the “frame” that the front seat mount bracket bolts to was broken on one side and the other side wasn’t too far behind, so I remade my own. 

D7CE1E70-8470-4502-AA76-A90D9520769B.jpeg

4D19F362-DD0F-4FC9-90A9-8017BCF3F824.jpeg

4A954F4D-C32E-40BC-B67F-0B31AA939722.jpeg

A31B4EB4-9FEB-468D-8176-369071D046FE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

Everything works well but I believe I witnessed the moment it stopped charging the battery.

Could be a bad fuse holder or the voltage regulator. Mine quit charging, had no voltage indication at the meter, fuse holder (under the battery) was corroded and once I replaced it all was well.

• Like 1

AHenry014

Got it sorted using the Kohler troubleshooting guide found in the m18 service manual.  Checked all the wiring in regards to the charging circuit and found it all to be good.  Checked the stator and made sure it was producing adequate voltage.  I couldnt seem to verify if the voltage regulator was bad or not, but it was the last piece of the puzzle.  14 bucks later and i was in business.  I took the downtime opportunity to remove and clean all the tins as well as the cooling fins in the heads.  They were caked with grime and dirt.  I think the tractor dropped a couple pounds removing it all!

As far as the carb kit goes, i got the Walbro one in the mail and it was the only correct kit of the bunch that i purchased.  

The first was Kohler P/N 25 757 02-S.  It list the m18, but the needle and seat were wrong.  

The second was Kohler P/N 25 757 11-S (actually a Stens kit).  This kit came up when searching for M18, but it was not correct.  It had one gasket that was right, the one between the 90° piece that fits between the carb body and the air fitler.  The needle was one that had a spring on it.  Including the spring, it was the same length as the original.  I installed it and the engine ran fine, but ended up putting the one in there from the Walbro Kit you guys pointed me to.  The Walbro kit was the only one with the correct replacement gasket for between the carb and the intake manifold.  Thanks for the help on that one!! 

I was able to inspect the mower deck and found it to need a lot of attention.  I will come back with pictures when the time comes since its quite interested how much material from the spindles is missing! There are a couple cracked here and there and it needs a full set of new wheels.  But for now, the tractor is ready for winter work!  I am very happy with how it came out.  It runs and drives very smoothly. 

Edited by AHenry014
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

really good recovery on that horse, the mental view of seeing what you have, is the way to go , no matter what you find , the fact that you are getting after it, is steadily making it better . picked up a high back seat at , BRIANS FARM & FLEET , EXACT W/H BOLT PATTERN. receipt # s , blain # 334639, mfg. item #  11500bk01un, deluxe high - back seat. internet. keep it going , Pete

• Like 1