Old Iron

Stack style mufflers

gwgdog66

Cool :omg: Here is mine

This is the first start up after installing a new short block in 2005 at idle. I'm wanting to quiet mine down a bit from the stock muffler. If my stock muffler ever needs to be relpaced, I think I'll go with one of these.

Old Iron

It sounds pretty good. It's a deeper throatier sound....plus it looks cool! :omg:

73-18 automatic

:omg: If anyone has heard of Agri Supply Company they sell the IH1 muffler which is for the smaller cub lowboys they have these for 19.99 just picked up two about a month ago hope this helps Doug

kfleser

How would you make a stack muffler for a twin cylinder motor, like the Kohler 17 hp on my 417?

zanepetty

I'm reading this post because I was told that my muffler, which is like the ones above only with a side inlet instead of one on the bottom, would be too much pressure on my engine and that it could break. Like TT said , I was told I needed a brace. I sure don't wanna break my engine! Any comments on that will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

chazm

Zane... something like this may work with some mods... :scratchead: Seen it on :techie-ebay:

mmsJ9bBOLS7pWGiwtXsr2tg.jpg

zanepetty

Dang I just don't know how to make it work. :/ that would need to be twisted around at the rounded part to make it face the other way. But I did order a gravely muffler today.. its tiny. But I want to put a stack on it too.

Ken B

Real nice job on the restoration. This is just my opinion, I think the tall stack on the tractor takes away from the nice job you have done. You want to draw people's eyes to the nice job you have done on the restoration, not the stack. Again, very nice job, and again, just my opinion...

• Like 1

zanepetty

Thanks ken. I get what you're saying. I just think it makes the look like a big tractor, gets exhaust off of stuff, and makes them quitter. But the shower head muffler may be they way to go..

Hodge71

Zane heres a pic of the stack on my 18 auto….Gravely muffler and an 18inch stack with flapper. It may work better for your awesome rest project

post-1339-0-20103500-1391183651_thumb.jp

leeave96

Do these stack muffler arrangements cause any problems to the engine due to their weight - long term?

zanepetty

Where did u get the pipe for the stack and what size is it?

Hodge71

Zane the stack is 1 inch black pipe I turned down on a lathe to 1 1/4 instead of 1 3/8.I got it at my Local plumbing supply guy. it can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes but I like to support local businesses even if it costs me a couple dollars more

Leeave…Mine doesn't pose a problem as  the weight it distributed between two very heavy cast iron manifolds on the K482

Edited by hodge71

zanepetty

I'm going to order a piece of exhaust pipe online. But I was thinking the outlet was 1 1/4 ID so Ill need bigger than that I thought.. but I might end up not stacking it and just leaving the gravely muffler on it..

squonk

Just so you know, Sometimes a stack can make things messy. I love stacks and rain caps as much as anybody. (TINK TINK TINK) I built a stack for my Power King. The original muffler came down and out.

IMG_0247.jpg

I used a Gravely muffler in place of the pancake one and put a straight stack up with a cap.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

I loved the stack and cap but every time I started it it blew soot and gunk all over the hood. so I had to put a turnout on it

IMG_0359_zps013eaed4.jpg

• Like 1

zanepetty

Im with you squonk! I love stacks. I think they look really cool. I just don't want it to be too heavy for my k161. Also where did u get the pipe for the stack

Edited by zanepetty

squonk

The first stack was a stainless handicap rail from a bathroom we demo'd  :)  :helmet:   The 2nd is electrical conduit with a 45 deg exh. tip from auto zone and the exit of that was trimmed with a band saw and bent to get the correct angle for the "right look"  :hide:

Edited by squonk

zanepetty

OK awesome. It looks great. Where can I get the conduit like that? And is your PK a single cylinder? If so have you had issues with it being too heavy?

squonk

Figure out what size you need and then stop in at one of your local electrical contractors and see if they got any scraps laying around.Otherwise you have to get 10 ft' lengths. The exhaust isn't too heavy. it doesn't hang a long distance away from the engine which would increase the stress. It's a 14 Kohler single and doesn't get run alot.

AMC RULES

You know you can always change it back when/if you get tired of the stack. 

Killer 2000 Chevy

Men and my buddy got ours at Rural King. Both of these stacks are for an IH cub.The one on the Jacobsen has a short bottom pipe.

zanepetty

I won't get tired of it :) I just don't want to break my engine.

Tankman

Have one with a stainless stack. Grandson loves the "truck" look!

post-8021-0-66849000-1391256109.jpg

C-101plowerpower
here's mine, just dont have a muffler. i like loud and it's not that anoying(the high pitched sound is gone)

Koen