Dennis C.

Work Horse 700 transmission

Dennis C.

Now that this 700 is all stripped for cleaning and painting I discovered that the right axle shaft moves in and out of  housing about an inch or more. Why so much play and what's the fix? Hate to have to locate another transmission at this point.

ebinmaine

Dennis, is that a Hydro or manual transmission?

stevasaurus

Looks like your Workhorse 700 is a 1969 with a #5053  manual transmission.  About 1/8" in/out play would be normal...1" or more means something is not right in the differential.  Did this horse run or did you use it before you tore it down...looking to see how familiar you are with this horse.

Here is the deal...the 5053 transmission should have a roll pin in the end of the axle holding on the axle gear and it keeps the axle from coming out.  Roll pins do not fall out, and you would know it if one fell out in your differential.  Notice the roll pin in the differential on top of the axle gear...

702 transmission 022.jpg

The newer axles have a groove in the end and instead of a roll pin, they have a "C" clip.  I suggest someone has been in this transmission before and replaced an axle that has the "C" clip on it.  They do come off sometimes and this would give you the in and out on your axle.  You need to drop and open up the case and then open up the differential and replace the "C" clip...if that is what is going on.  Actually you should be able to pull the axle all the way out...a sure test of what is going on.  No matter what...if you have that much in and out...you need to open it up and see why.  This is not a big job and could be an easy fix. 

• Like 2

Dennis C.

Yes, this is 1969 Work Horse 700.  This tractor has been apart  and  temporarily fixed by other owners.  Lots of missing parts. Yes, I have driven it around the yard but didn't notice the axle issue until I had the whole tractor apart and grabbed the trans by a axle to move it. When I did, that axle moved a inch out. The other axle is fine. But I spun the axle  around a few revs and now that same loose axle is tight. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It really is no big deal to open the case and pull out the differential.  The kind of stuff you are talking about does not fix itself.  If you have the horse pretty much apart, now is the time to take a look.  Look at section II in this manual, and here is a thread with videos.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for your help. I'm not much of a wrencher when it comes to taking transmissions apart. So I'll save that for last. I'll watch the video and see what I can learn. Thanks again. BTW, thanks for your service. I served in Vietnam from 1968-1970.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Dennis I took apart the transmission in Trina's 657 this past July. Really is all very very basic stuff in there. You'll have no issues whatsoever.

It's surprisingly simple how those things are set up.

in the interest of full disclosure I did have to watch the video about seven times but that's just cuz that's me. :-).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

BTW, Dennis...we have a boat load of members in Conn. that would be more then happy to help you out.  One of them can't be too far away. 

Oh, and thank you for your service...I was 1970-1974.  I can tell you this...you will not be sorry you opened it up and took a look.  That horse will last you another 50 years.  Really, all you need to open up that trans is a 9/16" open/closed end wrench and the same size in a ratchet and short extension.  I think the differential has either 7/16" or 1/2" nuts and bolts.  Boom-sha-ka-lac-a!!!  Do not be afraid...fear is the mind killer.  (Dune)  :orcs-cheers:

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

we have a boat load of members in Conn. that would be more then happy to help you out.  One of them can't be too far away

Toss it in ya truck and bring it up to Maine. Can't be any more than about a four hour drive one way.

So let's see. 8 hours on the road and all I can promise is bad food and a terrible attitude and possibly being able to fix your transmission with you.

That's probably worth it.

:D

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

See Dennis...Welcome to Red Square.  :text-welcomeconfetti:  thanks Eric.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

served in Vietnam from 1968-1970.

Thank you for your service. :handgestures-salute:

Yes really not that hard and we will be here to walk you through and help if parts needed. Steve's idea about a member in CT helpin you out is great!

• Like 2

Dennis C.

Thanks to all for the advice and support. Truly a great group of people. Hard to find these days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dennis C.

OK. I found the problem with the play in the axles. The set screws for the hubs were completed turned out and hanging by a couple of threads!! Every time I would pull on the hubs to move the trans I was pulling on the hub. I tightened both hubs and neither axle is loose now. Next question. Do I have to split the case to install new outer axle seals?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm glad you found the problem, that should have been the first place we told you to check out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  No, you do not have to open the trans to change out the seals.  The seals are about 1/8" thick and they can be pried out very easy.  I like to use a tool that is meant to pull out carter pins...bottom right.

2008_0811STEVEBOS0007.JPG

Make sure you file any burrs on the end of the axle and the keyway before sliding the new seal back on.  A little tape over those spots goes a long way.  :)

• Haha 1

Dennis C.

Thanks!! BTW, are new axle seals still available? 

953 nut
3 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

Thanks!! BTW, are new axle seals still available? 

Presuming your axles are 1" seal would be SKF 9815, if they are 1 1/8" that would be SKF  11050. NAPA or any good auto parts store can hook you up.

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the input and advice. This is a great place to get info. Is there anyone in the Connecticut area that would be willing to install new bearings and seals for my transmission?  I really don't have a workshop to take on such a project. The entire tractor is apart in my livingroom!!! I would be willing to pay for all aand labor. Thanks

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Let me guess....you are not married.  :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 5

WHX??
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, stevasaurus said:

carter pins

Ahhh what's a carter pin Dino??? :teasing-poke:

Check the member map https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/membermap/ for fellas in you neck of the woods and PM them. Odds are pretty good you will find a guy that has done many and would do it for the enjoyment. Napa will have that seal just tell them it's an SKFXXXX for your size axle like Richard mentioned above. If you intend to go through the unit top to bottom might be best to just get the whole bearing and seal set here https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/ Lowell offers kits with the whole nine yards.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1

Dennis C.
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Let me guess....you are not married.  :orcs-cheers:

Well, I tried that a couple of times and I think having a workshop in your livingroom is cheaper in the long run!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

Somewhere, there is a woman that would let you rebuild a garden tractor in the living room.   I doubt that you would find one in Connecticut.  I would look first in Wisconsin and second in Minnesota.  Just sayin'  :occasion-xmas:  You need one, that when you say "Hoobie Doobies" she smiles and knows what you mean.  :occasion-santa:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Somewhere there is a woman that would let you rebuild a garden tractor in the living room.   I doubt that you would find one in Connecticut.  I would look first in Wisconsin and second in Minnesota.  Just sayin'  :occasion-xmas:

I'll tell you how I found Trina. I stopped looking.

There she was.

Now in all honesty I do not have tractor parts in my living room but I do have two work shops and my whole house is basically a man cave.

You might find another one like her up here in Maine too... I don't know.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

:ROTF:  Sometimes, I just enjoy cracking myself up.   Dang, I love this site and all on it.  :text-lol:  :occasion-xmas:

Maine might be a place to look also...they are all center left.  :occasion-santa:

• Haha 3

Razorback
On 12/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, ebinmaine said:

I'll tell you how I found Trina. I stopped looking.

There she was.

I have learned: “It’ll happen when you are not looking...”

Describes me and my best 1/2 to a T...! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 4

stevasaurus

Razorback, I happen to have one of those special women also...49 years now.  While I would not part a horse in the living room, I would put her car out of the garage for a week or two to get my feet under a restoration.  After 49 years...where is she going to go.  I think she thinks the same way about me...where am I going to go???  Compromise...it is one against one...where is the tie breaker??  It is like the guys on American Pickers...you bundle things to make a deal.  Try to get a win/win.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1