YardMan Racer Project

ebinmaine

That looks pretty good all mocked up.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Justice77
On 11/7/2018 at 1:10 PM, ebinmaine said:

That looks pretty good all mocked up.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

I made some progress on this project recently. Rear axle set. Trans tunnel cut. front axle cut. Should have front tires soon - they're 2" wider than the ones pictured. Adjustable steering geometry next, and I really need to decide on an engine. Right now I have options of an 18.5 hp Briggs single OHC, a 12.5 opposed twin flathead, and a 16 hp twin. I love the sound of a twin, esp at idle... I'll browse CraigsList for another week or so.... Every so often I see a Craftsman mower w/ a 21 hp or more v-twin Briggs for around $200. This would be ideal.

https://imgur.com/a/DekcN2k

• Like 1

Justice77
On 11/12/2018 at 7:44 AM, Justice77 said:

I made some progress on this project recently. Rear axle set. Trans tunnel cut. front axle cut. Should have front tires soon - they're 2" wider than the ones pictured. Adjustable steering geometry next, and I really need to decide on an engine. Right now I have options of an 18.5 hp Briggs single OHC, a 12.5 opposed twin flathead, and a 16 hp twin. I love the sound of a twin, esp at idle... I'll browse CraigsList for another week or so.... Every so often I see a Craftsman mower w/ a 21 hp or more v-twin Briggs for around $200. This would be ideal.

More progress:

Made some good progress on this. Got 8" wheels and mounted 16x7.5-8 tires (see my pre stretch idea to get bead to seat easier). Scratched my head a bit considering how to get this low, tires to clear fenders and keeping seat pan above tops of tires. I cut lower outer fender section off, flattened the step-down, then got it all to fit back together nicely... friggin' miracle. I'm happy with my solution. If I were more experienced with this I might have chosen a different donor frame.
 Made front axle plates on friends ironworker. Verified my pre-set 10 degree caster and camber and tacked in place.  Have 2 right hand spindles as that's what was in used parts bin and they are heavier duty than left side - 3/4" inner spindle shaft dia, and 5/8" outer so I'll have to mod. one dep if I go w/ front or rear steer set-up. Adj. camber w/ heim joints and caster - my plate is set at + 10 degree and the slot punched in to top of plate allows +9 to +15 degree range. Wedge adj. by arranging the washers above / below.
 Need to start considering an engine. I don't have a sub 17hp single, or a + 8hp flathead per build rules... To keep going forward, deviating from build rules I do have a 17.5 ohv single, and an 18.5 ohv single. + I have a 12.5 f.h. opposed twin and a 16 f.h. opposed twin. I can also get a 20hp ohv v- twin.
 If any of you weren't sure if you would definitely race this, which engine might you go with? Is there a brand new < 17hp ohv, vert. single I might find on a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale? New would be nice, but I don't want to spend much...

[img width=600 height=400img%5D
width=600 height=400img%5D

Most images have description at album link:

Edited by Justice77
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Cool little buildup.

HF have any engines on sale?

Other than that maybe just keep watch on CL.

Justice77
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Cool little buildup.

HF have any engines on sale?

Other than that maybe just keep watch on CL.

Can hardly wait to blast out of the garage with burning rubber smell following me.

I just decided I'm going to pull a perfectly good 18.5 hp ohv single out of a Craftsman lt1000. It has working elect start and alternator, new battery, working wire harness, clutch odds-n-ends, cables, v gauge, and it's right out back. Why wouldn't I... That was a $150 craigslist steal as it's mint / hardly used. Was planning it to be woods / mud / yard machine, but ... one project at a time. An easy sacrifice considering everything I will use from it.

I just finished pulling engine and have mocked up in blue machine. Lots of room

Edited by Justice77
  • Like 4

Justice77

Got my discretely hidden frame reinforcement all welded, trans plate lined up and tacked in, trans mounted, chain and tensioner installed. Now considering where battery and fuel tank to go. Maybe if I inch cowl back a bit they'll fit in there. Next to reinforce cowl and set up steering column. Column runs straight in to engine head so may need to use a u-joint or 2.

Pics in reverse chron. order.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Justice77 said:

Got my discretely hidden frame reinforcement all welded, trans plate lined up and tacked in, trans mounted, chain and tensioner installed. Now considering where battery and fuel tank to go. Maybe if I inch cowl back a bit they'll fit in there. Next to reinforce cowl and set up steering column. Column runs straight in to engine head so may need to use a u-joint or 2.

Pics in reverse chron. order.

Looking good man. That's quite a project.

Justice77

It dawned on me that this is like building a little race car. Not that I've done that before but I sort of get the idea.

• Like 2

Justice77

Got a bit more done this past weekend.

Trans plate, trans, chain tensioner mounted.

h1pg270.jpg

Engine plate and engine mounted.

DU3eBBs.jpg

TkzOmgJ.jpg

Cut out slot for sprocket and built guard.

pU83fah.jpg

n47vodj.jpg

Also finished full welds on fender mods.

Now waiting for more steering components for pitman arm I fab'd, drag link... should have bellcrank fab's this weekend and hoping for full operable steering by Sunday evening.

Also due this week is engine pulley and trans pulley and some clutch components.. Next week will be thinking about clutch, brakes, throttle, gas tank, seat and battery mount.

Getting closer to a test drive!

Edited by Justice77
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

Super cool !!

The Tuul Crib

Hey is that a Corona I see?!

Justice77

Lol... Yes - Corona Light aka "Work Beers".

Took some time off from this project due to tweaking my lower back then had an infected abscessed tooth... Ugg. I got some stuff done on Sunday though, inc. pulley alignment and steering components fab'd and installed. Steering was a bit tricky and will probably be modified yet again. Prob. start working on clutch next. Was planning to fab my own but saw a fancy one online and impulse bought it. I am not sorry :).

2skS1Fc.jpg

QBBu3qP.jpg

• Like 3

19richie66

Very cool build.

• Like 1

Justice77

Thanks! Made more progress in last couple weeks. Made a cut-out and cover (from cut-out) for battery, Trans cover out of Craftsman louvered hood, re-did steering bell crank and pitman arm for THE 3RD TIME - and I have determined that the 3rd time really is the charm. I also got the clutch assembly mounted and a nice working linkage to a clutch pedal. Have belt installed with keepers on both drive / driven pulleys. This past Sunday I got brake caliper mounted, and now need to make a brake pedal and mech. linkage to master cyl.

The list is getting shorter week by week. Hoping to transfer wire harness today and get brake working.

nnHnttp.jpg

2q21sgF.jpg

zNHM6nH.jpg

JsoliuZ.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine

Getting there Joe !!

Justice77

I think just a handful of list items left to do before test drive. I did fab a brake pedal and got it and master cyl. mounted and linkage done.

so...

Fuel tank

Throttle assembly

Mount steering wheel

Wire everything

Battery clamp / secure somehow

Tether kill switch

Hood / grill bracing

Some welding here and there...

Oh, how could I forget - Drink holder. Lol...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

Need a couple or so photo's of the finished machine, please.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Cool build.😎👍

• Like 1

Justice77
5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Need a couple or so photo's of the finished machine, please.

EiBQIIS.jpg

bzjYw1V.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Justice77
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

Cool build.😎👍

Thanks!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@Justice77

Glad to see you back on the forum Joe. You do some really interesting work. Lots of the folks here would get a kick out of you sharing more of it.