Navig8r

Need help with blower pulleys/alignment

Navig8r

I bought this short chute last year, and would like to put it on my 416. The driven pulley on the blower does not line up in plane to the idlers, and I'm not sure which part is placed wrong.... Can't get the pulley to budge, so if it has to move, it will be cut off and replaced.  Sorry about the odd photo angles, I have the unit stood on it's nose and don't have garage room to move it around right now lol.

IMG_20181106_110426239.jpg

IMG_20181106_110431003.jpg

peter lena

top pulley has belt going INTO grove, the second pulley should have the  BACK SIDE OF BELT on the flat center edge of that pulley. that will allow the lower spring to tension belt once its on pto engine pulley, lots of pictures here on blower mounting. all of those pulleys should line up, yours are off center, cannot work. pete  

• Thanks 1

peter lena

this is the picture you want, pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Looks like there is plenty of shaft to realign the pulley with the idlers.    Did you try heating the pulley?

• Thanks 1

Navig8r

Yeah ... Got it really hot today, couldn't move it

Ed Kennell

You may be able to remove the entire jack shaft with the pulley attached.  Loosen the set screws in both bearing lock collars and the shaft may slide out.   Then press the shaft out of the pulley.    Make sure the key has not raised out of the key slot and is jammed preventing the pulley from coming off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

Look for the dreaded double set screw too. Pull the set screw all the way out of the hole to be 100% sure there isn't another one down below the first one. The open hole also gives a direct shot for soaking oil right to the shaft inside the pulley contact area.

Smashed a pulley off a shaft before because it wouldn't budge only to find out it had a second set screw. That taught me to always look now!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Navig8r

Got it off today, but sacrificed the pulley to do so.... grooved the collar of it, spread it a bit with a chisel, and used a puller to remove it... shaft is good... just need a pulley, so not bad.  Anyone know if theres a Tractor Supply or other aftermarket supplied pulley to match? 

Ed Kennell

I bought a blower drive pulley at TSC  for my tall chute.  I actually replaced the stock pulley with a 1/2" smaller dia. pulley for two reasons.

1. The P220 Onan in my 520 sounds and feels better at 3200 RPM than 3600.  So at 3200 the smaller pulley keeps the auger turning at the same speed as stock pulley at 3600 engine RPM.

2. I can now replace the blower belt w/o loosening the bearing block.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Thanks 1