The Tuul Crib

Shipping costs

The Tuul Crib

I've been looking on Fleabay lately for parts  and I couldn't help but wondering why some of the shipping costs are as high as they are. Now I'm all for having a business and making money but on the other hand with the shipping cost three times more than the part? That doesn't make economical sense for any of us! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

IMHO

Note note the above letters.

Just My Opinion. I am no Authority. I think anybody who charges that much for shipping is Trying To Scam You.

There are way too many other people such as A - Z Tractor who have parts for equal to or less than what the interesting folk on fleabay are selling and don't charge an exorbitant amount for Freight.

I do look for things I need on auction sites like that and many many times I end up just calling Lincoln.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

IMHO

Note note the above letters.

Just My Opinion. I am no Authority. I think anybody who charges that much for shipping is Trying To Scam You.

There are way too many other people such as A - Z Tractor who have parts for equal to or less than what the interesting folk on fleabay are selling and don't charge an exorbitant amount for Freight.

I do look for things I need on auction sites like that and many many times I end up just calling Lincoln.

Yeah I guess you have to weed thru the BS and pay attention! Thanks to our fine folks here at Red Square we are here to help each other! 

• Like 2

WHX??

EB has a good point, if they are jacking the shipping for that tie rod they are trying or might be trying to make more money on the part.

On the other hand fellas if the seller is not savvy to the world of shipping these days a high shipping cost might be just revealing their ignorance. I sold a few parts to ship once and used the big brown truck just cause I have an business account with them but they killed me on cost. You'll find the pros use US mail flat rate. if it fits it ships!

What does the jungle site use? They are the gurus of shipping.. :)

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 4

JAinVA

I buy and sell on E-bay.You have to compare totals for any item that comes up that you want.You also need to be patient.Sometimes someone will list something way cheaper than the going rate.With that said I have bought more than one item that shipping cost more than the price of the item. 

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

I often check an item for the "best" price and find that the shipping is 2 times the price of the item. In retrospect, the "free" shipping ads charge more for the item....6 of one, half a dozen of the other! :angry-banghead:

• Like 1

WHNJ701

this is an interesting post let me add my 2 cents.  I used to be a moderate seller and for shipping I shipped flat rate in 5 dollar amounts, 5 10 15etc.., and most of the time I made a few extra dollars which covered my boxing, packing supplies, drop off, expenses.  the items I sold I tried to bump up 10% more than what I wanted, to cover the fees, hey it's smart business.

now ebay is highly changing it's direction basically trying to force out the small sellers and pushing toward high volume sellers who move product.(which are mostly overseas wholesalers). items that don't sell quickly they are trying automatic price dropping and best offers.  which stinks because ebay was built on small sellers selling unique, odd, rare unusual items many of sellers are dropping out now. there response is changing markets/interests of the future generations.

the next generation doesn't collect antiques, collectibles, or crafts etc.  it's a changed market more electronic tech based world now.

as much as I hate to see it go I don't see ebay lasting another 5 to 10 years as other sites push it away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Don't always blame the seller. Doesn't seem logical that an eBayer would charge more than they had to for shipping since eBay charges a commission on shipping as well as on the item. I think the major problem is that sellers use services like the UPS Store and other shipping stores. Those stores typically mark up shipping 100%. And don't ask them to pack it for you. That's another rip-off. USPS is usually the cheapest service, and in many cases Priority Mail is cheaper than First Class, or Parcel select. Not to mention boxes are free. There are many ways to reduce shipping costs if you take the time to find them. I always use the least expensive way that I can find, and I'm still embarrassed at the prices that I have to charge to ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

953 nut

I have to give a big Ata-Boy to member @Shuboxlover. He was parting out a 953 and did a real stand out job of reducing shipping costs as much as he could for me.

I too use USPS "If It Fits - It Ships!" priority mail on anything small I sell. The shipping calculator that is built into :techie-ebay: is a bit screwed up and some times it will be over the actual shipping and I have found that most times it is lower than actual shipping. Have to do the dance with :techie-ebay: to get the shipping price correct.

• Thanks 1

Shynon
48 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have to give a big Ata-Boy to member @Shuboxlover.

:text-yeahthat: Did the same for me on a Wheel Horse Planter. Top notch

I always use the priority mail boxes, no surprises, quick and easy. 

• Like 2