Blackhood Bill

GT1800 Hydro paint

Blackhood Bill

I have seen some threads talking about a black paint option for the GT-1800. Does anybody have a really good picture they could share with me?

varosd

I restored one but not sure about a "black paint" option.  there were 3 years of the Grey Workhorse.  the first year had a slightly darker, more metallic shade of Dove Grey, the final 2 years were a lighter Dove Grey.  close match with a Ford Grey around that time frame.  I used PPG Shopline single stage.  came out perfect

RandyLittrell

Somebody on here redid a GT and painted it darker charcoal metalic and looked dang good. You can probably find it with a little looking, I just don't remember who it was. 

Randy

Mows4three

Don,

That's one sweet looking paint job.   Kudos!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1

c-series don

I have a confession to make, my brother is an auto body man so I have a very good coach. He definitely taught me the importance of proper prep work. 

• Like 2

Blackhood Bill

Don looooooove that horse. I will probably pm you later since yours looks so oooooh maaaaan whaaaaaat a horse. I going to need a new carb, breather, PTO and belt drive pulley from what I can see right off the bat

Blackhood Bill

If anybody happens to know about the black paint option I sure love to see a picture

Desko
On 11/5/2018 at 8:10 PM, c-series don said:

I restored mine to the correct color which is Lincoln light pewter. My work Horse is a 1984 

F3C6903D-26DE-4E61-811F-9EC9AD08B6F9.jpeg

Do you happen to remember the paint code? I need it for mine thanks! 

Blackhood Bill

I would pm c series Don and if you get it I'd like to know it also

Blackhood Bill

Ok guys now that I have a picture of the "black paint option" would anybody happen to know if that was for all three years of the work horse's or just one? Attached is the pic of the black paint option

IMG_0085.JPG.c93b74c666b671ff8a91445d277ba890.JPG

• Confused 1

953 nut

I guess if you had a spray gun full of black paint you could do that, but I doubt that the factory ever did that. I bought a Charger that a previous owner had opted to paint black.

972570198_69Charger002.JPG.780a6626c4ad097b3984e45390b9165b.JPG

Blackhood Bill

According what I can find Wheel horse did do this. So I was just wondering if? I just am seeing if there is anymore info on it out there for those. I just couldn't imagine any other color than red for Wheel horse. Really wish when I was younger growing up that I had paid more attention. Live and learn and try the best to catch up on the horse's for now. This has been a real learning experience, but enjoyable doing so that now I have 2 & looking at another. The projetects are starting to pile up yeee haaa. :greetings-clappingyellow: What fun it is going to be.

AMC RULES

They definitely are for real, special order from the :wh: factory...

here's the last, and only time I've ever physically seen one.

IMG_2335.JPG.629ecbe74491667e00dae0cef0957a96.JPG

• Like 1

c-series don

I would really like to see some evidence that there was a Work Horse painted black from the factory. I've seen one or two painted black but certainly did not look factory. I bought my GT-1800 brand new so I feel pretty well versed in them, however I'm always interested in learning something new. 

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I guess so. 

20180622_183803.thumb.jpg.d6bdf5102335e9436ac239b92d429ac5.jpg

• Like 1

c-series don

Craig, was that verified from the original owner? I can tell you that not long after they were produced the rear fender decal was only available in the smaller letter LT version not the larger letter GT version. I remember trying to get one around 1988 and being told it was NLA. The tractor above has an LT rear fender decal. Indicating perhaps it was repainted? The tractor in post number 11 has an all black hood the other has red and black? So I don't know what the real deal with all this is. I may need psychological help over this 😂😂

• Haha 1

c-series don

Craig NEVER fails to amaze me!! How does he come up with this stuff soo quickly? I love it 👍🏼

Blackhood Bill

I trying to locate some eveidence. I've been talking to with saltywright aka Russ and I can only keep hoping g he can help. He said he'd see if he can some. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

Well finally got started on tear down. Here is day one so far. Gonna keep working a bit more tonight. Didn't expect the hydro fan to be that bad and didn't expect the drive pulley to be missing but WOW they are and my list of parts is getting bigger

IMG_20181203_172519833.jpg

IMG_20181203_172829190.jpg

Blackhood Bill

Didn't expect this :bitch:I guess I'm going to have buy a welder:dance: been wanting one for awhile so now I HAVE TO GO GET ONE.

IMG_20181203_183103632.jpg

IMG_20181203_183059320.jpg

• Like 1

dells68

The seat pan mounts on Emory’s Work Horse are broken even worse, nothing a welder won’t fix.  I thought I had found a close paint match in Krylon pewter gray, but sprays out lighter than the lid.  Might still use it though as I don’t want a dark gray.  Might try the next shade up.  

EF4C2E1B-3818-4525-A96F-E9C27FA5A763.jpeg

• Like 1

Firebug

So I read this thread about a week or 2 ago. Tonight while I was searching the old inter web I came across this listing for a black gt 1100. Ad said the only year for this paint was 1984. Whole think looks to be in pretty good shape

C1D08061-AE7C-4232-AAD2-F20F3CDE5749.png

oldredrider

BUT... the Magnum engine...was it available in 1984? Me thinks it wasn't till '86 or '87.

Blackhood Bill

Have not received some information but from what I can gather the black paint option was offer all three years 82,83,&84 but will keep looking for that information. It does look to be in pretty good shape. I will do some checking on the motor too

Edited by Whnewone