12 hp Kohler

picked up a charger 12

SPINJIM

Hi Robbie,

I see you wasted no time in putting the machine to work.  I was standing right next to you when you were high bidder, and I'm the one who gave you a dollar for the pulley later in the day.   If I hadn't already bought two tractors, I would have bid on it.  The bids would have been higher if the paint was closer to original, but that's easily remedied.  Mechanically, it looks like it is great shape.   That was a great auction, and I wish you the best with your new tractor.

Jim

• Like 4

Pullstart

Nice find Robbie!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Nice Robbie.   Was this at Farmers Auction?

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nice Robbie.   Was this at Farmers Auction?

It was a sale for Robert C. Stoltzfus’s collection of 80 tractors. 

My cousin Aidin @Wheelhorse427 picked up a 1257 there too, he may post a thread about it. 

Two questions, what transmission fluid should be used in this ? And also what kind of filter should I use for the transmission? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

There is a decal on my belt guard spacing auto trans fluid, and currently mine has a Ford Motocraft filter.  I’m not sure if that is proper, or if it just fit.

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

I have an owners manual for it and I checked it yesterday, but all it says it use grade A automatic transmission fluid, it didn’t say anything about a filter. It appears to have some sort of kohler filter on it now, but I don’t think it’s correct. 

Pullstart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hp Kohler

I’ll take a look at that, thanks :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

Two questions, what transmission fluid should be used in this ? And also what kind of filter should I use for the transmission? 

If the existing fluid is red or pink,  replace it with ATF.   If it is amber, replace it with motor oil.      The filter is NAPA 1410.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hp Kohler

The current fluid is red. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

The auction was near Strasburg, PA, south of Lancaster, on Saturday 11/3.   The collector passed away.   There were 25 WHs, 16 Panzers, a Bush Hog, a Strunk Chipmunk that sold for over $3000, two Bantams that went for $2000 each, a GardenMaster EarthMaster for $2200, a Squire Applegate, an Eshlman, a few J Deeres, lots of Simplicities, a Page, and lots of other rare tractors in various states of repair.   The Bantams were so nice that the owner had them stored in his livingroom.  Lots of good pictures still on CL Lancaster, PA.   I was lucky enough to score a nice 856 and a model 16 Automatic, as well as a bunch of parts. (pictures if it ever stops raining)

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

any idea what the panzers went for, good thing I didn't know about this one, don't need anymore projects 

SPINJIM
33 minutes ago, jabelman said:

any idea what the panzers went for, good thing I didn't know about this one, don't need anymore projects 

Those prices were all over the place.   Some very rough went for 3 to 4 hundred.    A fully restored, orange painted one went for almost $2000.   I'm not into Panzers that much, so didn't pay close attention.   The only one I wrote down was the Pennsylvania Panzer T75 for $350.

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler
43 minutes ago, jabelman said:

My mom picked one up for $375. Most of them went for around there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hp Kohler

I have another question, how do I adjust the hydro lever ? 

pfrederi
3 hours ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

I have another question, how do I adjust the hydro lever ? 

Are you talking about the neutral adjustment (meaning it doesn't creep when the motion control is on neutral?  If so See below.  If the control lever itself moves too easily then look at figure IV.  (you need a 1-1/8" wrench to loosen the lock nut  (it cannot be too thick I made one out of on old blade and it works great for mower spindle nuts also)  .a 5/8" open end turns the threaded shaft .

Red is ATF and Type A is what is now Dexron 3

I have 5 Charger/ Electros the are great machines....

neutral.JPG

neutral 1.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

12 hp Kohler
31 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Are you talking about the neutral adjustment (meaning it doesn't creep when the motion control is on neutral?  If so See below.  If the control lever itself moves too easily then look at figure IV.  (you need a 1-1/8" wrench to loosen the lock nut  (it cannot be too thick I made one out of on old blade and it works great for mower spindle nuts also)  .a 5/8" open end turns the threaded shaft .

Red is ATF and Type A is what is now Dexron 3

I have 5 Charger/ Electros the are great machines....

neutral.JPG

neutral 1.JPG

That answers my question, thanks. It creeps in neutral right now but that should fix it.  

I really like the look of the Chargers and Electros, so far I like how they work too. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:

Robbie, looks like all your questions have been covered.     :text-bravo:   That looks like a real nice Charger you got there, enjoy it.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

Got a filter and fluid. I will put them in this weekend and i should be good to go. :auto-layrubber: 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Be sure to jack the front end up to allow for draining as much fluid as possible. 

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

Thanks for the reminder, I wasn't sure if i had to do that with hydros. 

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

Robbie;  You will be amazed at how much snow these limited slip 10 pinions can push...having the variable speed and fast reverse make plowing almost fun...  All my snow horses  (blower and plows) are Charger/Electro's their hydro lift works immediately..unlike many Eatons.  The 418A and C175-8s spend the winter in hibernation.

IMG_0061 (2).JPG

• Like 3

12 hp Kohler
27 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Robbie;  You will be amazed at how much snow these limited slip 10 pinions can push...having the variable speed and fast reverse make plowing almost fun...  All my snow horses  (blower and plows) are Charger/Electro's their hydro lift works immediately..unlike many Eatons.  The 418A and C175-8s spend the winter in hibernation.

I didn't know it had the 10 pinion limited slip. That's really cool. Even better for field plowing and snow removal. 

• Thanks 1

12 hp Kohler

I jacked my tractor up yesterday to adjust the drive lever and as i jacked it up i noticed the wheels shift. I checked it out and the bubs are all sloppy on the axles. I took the hubs off and the key ways on both hubs are really worn and the woodruff keys are very worn too. I checked out the key ways on the axles and there is a little bit of wear on both but more on the left axle. If i put new keys and new hubs on the axles i think they will be alright, but not great. I'm worried if i go that rout the axles will get worse and the bubs will just ware out again. I would potentially like to rebuild the transmission and put new axles in or re key the current ones but i don't have the time or the money for that. What would you guys recommend i do ? I'm thinking i will try new hubs and keys but i don't know if that is the way to go or not, i also don't know how common the 1 1/8" hubs are and how much they will cost.