bellevillerod

Barn find 1047

WHX??
2 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

you can see what made this forum great even way back then... the people and the camaraderie. That's what has ALWAYS set this forum apart from so many others.

Well said :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

What’re the chances it would find its way back to someone here on Red Square?! That’s really neat that  it found it’s way back Via a new stable. That’s just plain cool. 

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Excellent 4

bellevillerod

That's the one that I was talking about in the start of this thread that I had said I found that looked like the one I had happened upon. I didn't know what I was looking at and when I saw that one I figured it must be a true horse. So I got it. That there is funny, used the custom to verify itself. 

Well I just got it pulled into my shop to get at making it whole. I can see a couple of things that need some attention. The drive on the 10hp tec does not line up to power the deck. So I will have to fab a new bearing setup on the deck so I can use it. I am also now looking for the pedal and pulley set up for use as a belt tensioner. I'm going to go read that thread to see what I have, guess I get to meet the guy that built this after all....cool 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

bellevillerod

Had to stop for the night, I was getting ready to drop the trans to fix that. Sitting there looking at my 854 thinking I could bring this 876 back. I have all the parts I need. The 854 is a true unmolested tractor, has 100% of its parts intact. It does need to be disassembled, media blasted & painted. SWMBO stopped me and made me walk away. I don't know if it was the 400 mile round trip we took in a snowstorm to get it. Or the part where she already laid claim to the 876 (aka 1047) and likes the way it looks and sounds. She directed me to fix the trans and install the snow plow. True I won't be mowing for another 7 months...lol . Those promises of , This one's for you Honey to get her to go along with another tractor. Looks like she is cashing that check.

• Haha 3

WHX??

Best listen to the one who is to be obeyed! I do have one ? tho 'Rod ... actually two ??.. have we seen :text-coolphotos: of this so called 854 and if it is 100% original why mess with it? Just clean it up, get mechanically sound and run her. Same with the aka 1047?

• Like 3

bellevillerod
2 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Best listen to the one who is to be obeyed! I do have one ? tho 'Rod ... actually two ??.. have we seen :text-coolphotos: of this so called 854 and if it is 100% original why mess with it? Just clean it up, get mechanically sound and run her. Same with the aka 1047?

I was going to take so pics of the group today and the 854 just looks so tired. Besides that when I went to get her the pics that were provided me missed the big dent in the hood. I really wanted to do an old round nose in Linseed & mineral spirits and show the patena. I think that age & wear look sweet. But the hood was so badly dented I had to fix it. Ya without a pic ........I know lol .....this is just for you..now my socks are wet. 

20181108_212931 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

You could ?age/patina" the hood after you  gry ir repaired and painted.  Deveral on here have done it by sanding some area thin and some to pare metal.  Then using salt and vinegar to rust those areas to match the rest of the tractor. 

Thats one way to keep it original. 

• Like 3

bellevillerod

Oh my God... Lol I have been out here all day working on the tractor. This baby was rode hard and put up wet. I see why this guy was putting it out. He did greatly mislead me to it's condition. This trans has both rear axels wobble, hub on left side is worn bid so tire sits at an angle. At some point someone tried to remove the hitch pin and mushroomed it over both sides. The hub on the right side is not coming off, even though I heat it up good. What's wrong with just cutting it off and buying two off fleabay? I'm afraid I will damage the internals if I keep pounding on it. Unless you have a easy fix you can share! I just read my post sorry for the grammar and spelling lol, I'm dirty and flustered. 

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Sad 1

bellevillerod

I did get the pin out and everything else but it was fighting me the whole time. Like they painted the hubs and then installed the tires so they were glued together lol. Rims are a bit different than I have ever seen before. 

20181109_194701.jpg

20181109_204340.jpg

bellevillerod

Well it's 3 am and it is split and laid out on the bench. Done for the night, using the other hub for a puller just got me 2 broken hub's. Had to take a metabo and split the one hub and still had a time getting it off. looked like at some point they had spun it and used green loctite to help hold it in place. So if anyone has a set of hubs and needs some extra cash, hit me up! almost all the bearings are shot. So I'm thinking might as well replace them all and be done with it. Thanks for the all the help your gonna provide.....:happy-bouncyshadowgreen:  

• Sad 1

rjg854

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations.  That's he way it happens sometimes as you probably well know.  Sounds as though when your done, IT WILL BE right.  And you can be very happy and proud of that.  It's a good looking tractor.:handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

bellevillerod

Thanks, I keep telling myself I got it for a song so enjoy the ride. Truth be known I kinda like fixing things. I'm sure others here have gone through alot more to get a horse back on the road. I don't have any body or paint to do just mechanical. Once done she will be good for another 60 years. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Rod, take a few pictures of the gears please...let's see what they look like.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bellevillerod
12 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Rod, take a few pictures of the gears please...let's see what they look like.  :occasion-xmas:

With the input shaft bearing completely shot the shifter gears are showing some wear. The hi/lo fork is also worn, not sure what I can get by with? Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me. Thank God I took it apart when I did. None of the bearings had worn though and into the shell although it was very close. Here are pics of the 3 that are showing abuse. 

20181110_193014.jpg

20181110_192729.jpg

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Sad 2

stevasaurus

Those 3 gears...1. reverse idler (4204)...2. 1st/reverse fork gear (5174)...3. 2nd/3rd (5173) are the same gears in the #5060 6 speed and in the #5091 and #103907 8 speeds.  If you can find better gears, do it.   :orcs-cheers:

Also, from what I can see, it looks like the hi/low mechanism is also the same. 

• Excellent 1

bellevillerod
On 11/11/2018 at 11:14 AM, stevasaurus said:

Those 3 gears...1. reverse idler (4204)...2. 1st/reverse fork gear (5174)...3. 2nd/3rd (5173) are the same gears in the #5060 6 speed and in the #5091 and #103907 8 speeds.  If you can find better gears, do it.   :orcs-cheers:

Also, from what I can see, it looks like the hi/low mechanism is also the same. 

Do you have by any chance the cross reference for the bearings so I can get them at Napa? The 2 large ones will have to be got online. But the rest I think will be more cost effective to source locally. Thanks 

WHX??

Yes you can get most of them (bearings & seals) locally, go to Steve's pinned thread in transmissions and you will find part numbers that NAPA can cross.  Also another member here has complete kits if you want to go that route. Those gears are pretty common  to other trannies so let us know if you need help in locating. By meaning the two large ones are you meaning the 1533s? Check out wheelhorse parts and more.  He might be able to help you. Will post links when I can. We would love to help you save this girl.

• Like 1

bellevillerod
3 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Yes you can get most of them (bearings & seals) locally, go to Steve's pinned thread in transmissions and you will find part numbers that NAPA can cross.  Also another member here has complete kits if you want to go that route. Those gears are pretty common  to other trannies so let us know if you need help in locating. By meaning the two large ones are you meaning the 1533s? Check out wheelhorse parts and more.  He might be able to help you. Will post links when I can. We would love to help you save this girl.

these on the c125 are not to bad and the price is right..just need to know if they will work..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toro-Wheel-Horse-c125-speed-Uni-Drive-transmission-gear-cluster-shaft/223204310677 . I saw the 1533's and plan on getting them from wheel horse parts an more. Thanks guys for all the help