Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Portable Sandblast Pot Help

stevebo

I am looking at buying a used sandblast 10 gallon pot with hose, nozzle and hood. I have not used a portable one like this so I have a few questions.

1- How many psi compressor would I need?

2- What media (grit) should/could I use with this type of blaster?

Thanks- Steve Bo

Teddy da Bear

Steve...I do not understand the term "pot" when referring to

sand blasting. But heck, I don't know the lingo of a lot of subjects.

I use a 6 gallon plastic barrel with a siphon hose. I blast silica sand

from TSC at whatever pressure is needed to do the particualr job.

I use a Campbell Hausefield blasting gun bought at the same place for

about $10 (couple of years ago). I have used this for those couple

of years and am real happy with it. Just don't like sand sticking to

me on the outdoor jobs.....lol

So it is difficult to answer your specific questions.

Rfischer

Well, not sure I know the answer, but will tell you that I have had a hell of a time with my blasting setup. I have a small cabinet with a suction feed, and it works pretty good, even with black diamond coal slag. I have a gravity feed cheapo that I use in my "Blast Room" (read plastic tent....) and it does not work so well with Black diamond. Got pissed off one day and went bought a Clarke 20 gallon pressure blaster at TSC (by the way, Clarke Power products just filed chapter 13 a few days ago...), and I can't get the thing to work at all with the black diamond. I have a 150PSI, 80 gallon tank compressor, but you have to limit the pressure to 120psi. I assume the nozzel is too small, but the directions are so lame it does not specify what is in it. Not fun when things don't work......

Randy

oldandred

Well, not sure I know the answer, but will tell you that I have had a hell of a time with my blasting setup. I have a small cabinet with a suction feed, and it works pretty good, even with black diamond coal slag. I have a gravity feed cheapo that I use in my "Blast Room" (read plastic tent....) and it does not work so well with Black diamond. Got pissed off one day and went bought a Clarke 20 gallon pressure blaster at TSC (by the way, Clarke Power products just filed chapter 13 a few days ago...), and I can't get the thing to work at all with the black diamond. I have a 150PSI, 80 gallon tank compressor, but you have to limit the pressure to 120psi. I assume the nozzel is too small, but the directions are so lame it does not specify what is in it. Not fun when things don't work......

Randy

Randy try dropping the pressure down to about 60 lb I use the pressure tank and the sipon type and thats all I use Ive been though a few guns but found one at northern tool that works pretty good its the one with the extra nosles and little black stoppers but i put a ball vale in line with it works even better go to the northen web site and take a look

Butch

Stevebo,

I own both of the ones below. They're cheap. However the more CFM the better.

The sandblaster with fine sand works much better than the the blast cabinet. The cabinet has major problems of dust which makes seeing almost impossible. Plus vacuum builds up inside of it. I wish I had bought a much larger cabinet but wanted something compact. The reason for the cabint also is the price of sand. I pay around $12 for a 100 lb bag of sand which use to be $4 a bag. The cabinet at least retains most of the media and the medias for the cabinet are expensive.

I have a 7 HP, 60 gallon, Single stage compressor. It allows me several minutes of full strength blasting of either blasters and then you must stop and allow the tank and pressure fill back up. I've had the compressor about 7 years and it replaced a 20 gallon portable compressor. If my current compressor quits I'll be going to a two stage compressor which is really needed for uninterupted blasting. Those compressors start at about $800 or so.

If you're looking to remove rust fast then use the sandblaster and not the cabinet type. Use a fine nozzle and fine sand. It will tear the rust right off, and the finer nozzle will not use up the CFM as fast. And of course you must use finer sand in those nozzles.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...ag=true&cFlag=1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...ag=true&cFlag=1

stevebo

Butch,

You are always very helpful. I was thinking the more abrasive sand for the pot style but what you says make sense. Thanks again-

big mike

Sand blasting uses LOTS of air.My compressor puts out 27 cfm at 90 psi and thats JUST enough for me to run my pressure pot.The smaller the compressor the smaller the nozzle you need to run.

Silica sand works good,is easy to get and is inexpensive.....but can cause silicosis if you are not VERY careful about filtering the air you breath when blasting.....and no,a respirator will not do the job,read the package it comes in.

Ground glass works good,is fairly inexpensive but can be difficult to find.....it also is said to not emit free silica.

Slag,Black Beauty works good,is fairly inexpensive and should be pretty easy to find.

past7971

Just a little input here you guys might want to consider---I have a 60 gallon stand-up compressor. I also have diesel trucks with air brakes and got to thinking about it and ended up plumbing two additional air tanks around my 60 gallon tank for more volume. Yeah, it does take longer for initial build-up of pressure but can go much longer before draining down. As a side benefit--each tank has a drain on it and by the time it gets to last tank, no more moisture in system :thumbs: And I'm sure we all know the chaos any moisture creates when painting or sandblasting.

Butch

Steve I would go with the sandblaster that's on wheels. Less problems and less air required compared to the cabinet is my experience. Big Mikes has 27 cfm at 90 PSI. That's a two stage unit which is really the way to go. But I used my sandblaster with the 20 gallon portable I once had and it worked. Just not long blast times until it had to build pressure back up. That 20 gallon portable probably had 9 CFM at 90 PSI. It still ripped the rust off better than my blast cabinet which I now run with a 7 HP and 60 gallon compressor. Like I said before use the fine nozzle with the finer sand. Your hardware store should have actual sandblasting sand which should be free of silica. 100 lb bag goes a long way but you are still throwing it away.

Wear long sleeves, preferably with no pockets, long pants and a sandblast hood that at least goes to your shoulders. Oh, don't forget the gloves! You don't want any skin exposed. The sand stings. The ricocheting sand will be everywhere, in your shoes, down your waist, in your pockets. Put your fingers in front of the nozzle and it will rip your skin off! The fine sand works very good and you won't pit the metal as bad. That blaster is well worth the $140 and you might find it cheaper at Harbor Freight where I actually bought mine.