ebinmaine

If I remove one or two head bolts from a cast-iron Kohler, do I need to retorque all head bolts in order?

ebinmaine

I want to add a couple of studs to a 16 horse so as to bolt on a couple of Loops or tabs to be able to pick up the engine via a chain. If I take out a couple of opposing head bolts do I need to retorque after removing all of them? Or just take one out and put it back in?

edgro

I think l would retorque the removed bolt, then do the others just for GP

• Like 3

71_Bronco

Not sure what the "correct" answer is, but if it were me, I'd pull the head, clean it, check it out, new gasket and retorque in order. Gaskets aren't that expensive, but then again, that's just me.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Not sure what the "correct" answer is, but if it were me, I'd pull the head, clean it, check it out, new gasket and retorque in order. Gaskets aren't that expensive, but then again, that's just me.

oh yeah. Right there with you. This one's already been done though. I forgot to put the stud in to catch the loop I wanted to use.

rmaynard

I would remove the others as well, put a coat of Never-Seize on all of them, and retorque to the specs from the manual.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I’m with rmaynard on this one. I’d remove the rest and retorque them all.

After time of running, warm-ups and cool downs I would think that it would 

change the torque  on the head bolts. And as 71 bronco said maybe change out the

head gasket as well.

JoeM

EB, I have done this a few times and just re-torqued the ones removed with no issues. Just an old flat head, no water jacket.

• Like 1

pacer
30 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

done this a few times and just re-torqued the ones removed with no issues.

Me too, several times - never had a problem. Many of the tractors/engines I buy dont have a lift point and that is such a handy, easy mod.

• Like 1

squonk

Torquing the bolt stretches it to a certain point. I'd be more inclined on replacing the bolt you take out over taking them all off and re-torquing all of them. You stretched all the bolts. Since the head has already been off at least once, if you loosen them all again, replace them all.

Edited by squonk

elcamino/wheelhorse

I hate to agree with @squonk but he is right. Replace the bolts , torque them , run the engine , and retorque the bolts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Howie

I would just retorque the ones you removed. I think bolts are good for a few times of removal and retorque.  Probably will not

overstretch unless over torqued. I have history in the bolt making industry just not in the lab testing end of it. They are sort of 

elastic so to speak until their limit is reached. Just do not know the cycle limit.