Marv

Heart Valves

Marv

Most recent visit with my Cardiologist. I have two of those valves that will require replacement. How soon, not sure. It will be a wait and see for a while. Do you have any experience with this menace?

Marv

• Like 1

Digger 66
11 minutes ago, Marv said:

Do you have any experience with this menace?

Marv

No , but best wishes to you .

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Great friend, coworker of mine just had his overhauled...had a Davis proceedure performed on his.

Amazing to think, you can see this whole operation performed...by just doing a Youtube search.

• Like 2

Razorback

My dad, who is 91 now, had a TAVR procedure done when he was 85. TAVR replaces the atrial valve, via catheters. Basically, they deploy a stent where the valve is, then install a valve in the middle of the stent. Amazing stuff! It was like they turned on the Energizer Bunny again!

http://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-valve-problems-and-disease/understanding-your-heart-valve-treatment-options/what-is-tavr

In this link, if you scroll down the page, you’ll see a video with my dad in it!

https://oklahomaheart.com/blog/tavr-patient-perspectives-john-white#.W94J0BZOmaM

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Marv Best Wishes to you when you have the surgery.

I'm sure you will have a doctor that has preformed many, many successful valve repair/replacements.

Just install a new valve seat and a new valve....make sure he uses lapping compound on the valve! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
13 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Just install a new valve seat and a new valve....make sure he uses lapping compound on the valve! :ychain:

And...make sure he uses only Genuine WH NOS parts...:D

But seriously, All the best - prayers for a successful outcome...

• Like 2

Razorback
17 hours ago, Marv said:

Most recent visit with my Cardiologist. I have two of those valves that will require replacement. How soon, not sure. It will be a wait and see for a while. Do you have any experience with this menace?

Marv

Marv, if any of your issues have been diagnosed at atrial stenosis and have the possibility of needing the TAVR procedure done, I can get you in touch with my dad if you’d like. He would love to talk about it and his experience. He was kind of a poster child for the Oklahoma Heart Institute. His doctor came from the Cleveland Clinic.

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

Had my aortic valve and aortic aneurysm  replaced at the U of Penn Hospital in Philly six years ago.  It came with a 15 year guarantee.  :greetings-clappingyellow:  New procedures are less invasive (in many cases), and can be done with catheters instead of open surgery.   Definitely get a second opinion.   I can recommend Dr. Joseph Bavaria at Penn.   :bow-blue:    It's a slow recovery, but keep on pushing, and you'll feel better than you did before the surgery.    Best of luck.

Jim

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

My Dad passed in 2002.  In 2005, my Mom went through quad-ripple bypass and had a valve repaired.  It will be a long day for those around you.  We had excellent doctors, and still do.  She turned 90 this last spring and is a feisty as ever.  They can do fantastic things now days...and to think I thought that way back in 2005 also.  May the Force be with you Marv.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHNJ701

hey at least with humans you don't have to take the head off to get to the valves!

get well soon

• Haha 3

Marv

Thank you all for your replies. Every one of them is important to me. You have been very helpful. It appears it will be quite a while before I will have to undergo this. On the other hand it could progress faster. My doctors parting statement at this visit was we will do another Echo in 6 Months if you have breathing difficulties that you cannot do what you do now call me right away. Sure wouldn't mind being like the Energizer Bunny though (Razorback). Haven't been that way for a while.

Marv

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

I’ve never had anything that intensive, but I had Superventricular Atachycardia as a kid, and several several heart attacks since (I’m 30). Anything dealing with major organs is nerve wracking, wishing you all the best. 

dcrage

I have a lot of experience in this area. Mitral valve and arotic valves relplaced in 1998 at the ‘young’ age of 46. I am currently reading RS for the first time since having my aortic stem (the first 2-3 inches of my aorta as it comes out of my heart) replaced/repaired (a big aneurysm).

Because of my age when my valves were replaced mine are artificial and I am permanently on warfarin. Tissue valves 20 years ago were expected to last 10 years and repeat surgeries are more complicated. As indicated above there seem to be a lot more valve repairs done now without splitting open your chest. And I get the impression that tissue valves have longer life spans and I KNOW warfarin is not a drug of choice. I have had good luck on this stuff (easily controlled levels).  Having said that I damn near bled to death two years ago. 

In both of my procedures I was in ‘wait and see’ mode for several years. But the phone call saying it is time to do this IS a big life changer. Finding the “correct” person to do the surgery can be difficult.  I can say with my most recent procedure I was ENCOURAGED by the surgeons to get multiple opinions. 

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I tell you what I know/experienced. 

• Like 3