Dan693

D-200 Experience Anyone?

Dan693

Not lookin like my '70 Chevelle LS6 is gonna show up any time soon so my second choice is a D-200 WH.

I've seen them for sale from 600 to 2500 and just wanted to get the take of anyone who has actually owned one.

Any thoughts on buying a tired one versus a a more complete one?

Single Dad so extra funds are controlled.

Thanks!

Sparky

My opinion, don't buy a tired one...you'll go broke getting it right. My first D-160 was a tired one and it was a nightmare, sloppy steering that could no longer be adjusted and the tranny had to come out for seal and beating replacement to stop massive leaks. 

Spending a bit more up front is what I did when I bought my second one and other than fluid changes I never did anything to it. 

• Like 1

pacer

I would think it sorta comes down to you --- do you enjoy 'tinkering' with these old horses? you just about have to enjoy it:o! at their age they usually need attention. In my case 'tinkering' with them is really what I enjoy the most, and often when finished I sell them (and, yes usually take a loss!) If you primarily want to use it - mowing, plowing, towing, etc - then better to buy ...... one of mine??

As always location bears greatly on cost. I recently sold a D180 that I had gone through grill to hitch, asking 1500 and ended up taking 1300. Around here horses are relatively scarce and unknown, probably in the more norther states I might have asked - and got? - $2000+

Then, there is the appearance factor, The 'Big D's' have a more 'love/hate' factor in them. Some love them (like me) and others think they are just plumb ugly - go figure....