Gary Mayfield

New forum user here

Sparky

One more vote for a good ol' elbow grease cleanup and not a repaint. I have a repainted/restored 854 and a "patina" Commando 8 and I prefer the patina! 

• Like 3

19richie66

Where’s that @Racinbob He lives in South Bend. He is a wealth of Wheelhorse information and an all around cool guy. Welcome to the forum.👍

• Like 2

Racinbob

:WRS:

Thanks for tagging me on this @19richie66. It would have been easy for me to miss it as I've been so busy on the house.

Gary, I'd love to see how your 654 cleans up. My oldies sport fresh paint but they weren't candidates for the patina look. There's something about an original that warms a :wh: lovers heart. I was born and raised in this area and then after 17 years in Florida we decided it was time to come back again. My Dads first new Wheel Horse was a 1960 Suburban 400 he purchased when I was 5 years old and then he bought a new 704 which is basically the same as your 654 but with a Kohler pull start under the hood. I've been hooked on them ever since. I think it's safe to say that I was horsing when horsing wasn't cool (put the music to it....it works :lol:) After selling my large herd :eek: in 2000 I've since rebuilt my small herd back up to 5. In Florida most folks look at you like you're from outer space when you mention Wheel Horse but I started my return down there by finding a 2005 Classic GT, then a Suburban 400 like my Dads first one and was given a 657 and 500 Special which I restored the 500 Special using both tractors. Since my return to the Hoosier state I added a 1976 which I actually purchased new (yea, quite a story there) and an 854 I purchased at the last big show. Somewhere in the midst of that I discovered this forum and quickly discovered that there's nothing else like the great folks that make this site what it is.

I don't know about the wealth of Wheel Horse information or the all around cool guy but I do know that I LOVE to talk Wheel Horses. We should get together and do just that. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Tractorhead

Hi, nice lookin Tractor ! 

Think i would just do technically check, change needed parts and keep the Patina as it is.

just wash and thats it becauseIt has a great history, so i think keep it ! 

Oh, sorry forgotten :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Edited by Tractorhead
I'm over 50 - greetings forgotten..*g*
  • Like 1

LengerichKA88

:text-welcomeconfetti:! That’s a great looking tractor! I like the patina, but I’m a sucker for anything older restored to its former glory. 

Whatever you do with it, so long as you’re happy with it that’s all that matters 

• Like 1

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:

Nice looking machine.

• Like 1

peter lena

ever try penetrating oil on patina paint? to me , the metal is starving for care, I have very simply  recovered metal finishes with oil spray . it will retain the original look , but will now fend off moisture, what a concept. most of the horses I see, are silently begging for some care, but , never get it. a simple oil rub down , would make a world of difference. just try it on a out of the way area first, pete  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AlexR

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Fellow Hoosier! Great looking horse:wh:

• Like 1

Gary Mayfield
14 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the coolest :wh: forum on the planet.  Have fun searching around and getting to know the members here.  I think it is especially great that you live in the birthplace of these beloved little tractors.  Be forewarned—these tractors are like potato chips, you can’t just have one!

Concerning your 654, I highly recommend cleaning and buffing it well, finding a techy and dealing with any mechanical gremlins.  That patina is soooo cool and it is a family heirloom tractor to boot.  Do you have any pictures of it through the years? Those would be super cool to post here on the forum, I love those vintage pictures.  Can’t wait to hear stories that you or your dad may have about this tractor.  

Glad and you found us:)

I am sure there are pictures tucked away of my father plowing the garden with it, pushing snow etc just have to go through them and find them. I am happy I was told about this place as well. 

• Excellent 3

Gary Mayfield
4 hours ago, AlexC120 said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Fellow Hoosier! Great looking horse:wh:

Thank you, what part of Indiana are your from?

Gary Mayfield
7 hours ago, Racinbob said:

:WRS:

Thanks for tagging me on this @19richie66. It would have been easy for me to miss it as I've been so busy on the house.

Gary, I'd love to see how your 654 cleans up. My oldies sport fresh paint but they weren't candidates for the patina look. There's something about an original that warms a :wh: lovers heart. I was born and raised in this area and then after 17 years in Florida we decided it was time to come back again. My Dads first new Wheel Horse was a 1960 Suburban 400 he purchased when I was 5 years old and then he bought a new 704 which is basically the same as your 654 but with a Kohler pull start under the hood. I've been hooked on them ever since. I think it's safe to say that I was horsing when horsing wasn't cool (put the music to it....it works :lol:) After selling my large herd :eek: in 2000 I've since rebuilt my small herd back up to 5. In Florida most folks look at you like you're from outer space when you mention Wheel Horse but I started my return down there by finding a 2005 Classic GT, then a Suburban 400 like my Dads first one and was given a 657 and 500 Special which I restored the 500 Special using both tractors. Since my return to the Hoosier state I added a 1976 which I actually purchased new (yea, quite a story there) and an 854 I purchased at the last big show. Somewhere in the midst of that I discovered this forum and quickly discovered that there's nothing else like the great folks that make this site what it is.

I don't know about the wealth of Wheel Horse information or the all around cool guy but I do know that I LOVE to talk Wheel Horses. We should get together and do just that. :)

Would love to get together sometime and discuss horse's. I live on the westside just west of the airport. 

AlexR
1 hour ago, Gary Mayfield said:

Thank you, what part of Indiana are your from?

New Paris by Goshen 

• Like 1

Gary Mayfield
30 minutes ago, AlexC120 said:

New Paris by Goshen 

Gotcha I have been down there to the race track and down to Milford several times. Always wanted to go to the tractor auction there on the corner of 6 and 15

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
2 hours ago, Gary Mayfield said:

Gotcha I have been down there to the race track and down to Milford several times. Always wanted to go to the tractor auction there on the corner of 6 and 15

Usually Indiana is underrepresented, but I guess it’s make sense that we’re Hoosier Heavy here.... ever find yourself in the Indianapolis/Greenwood area, give a holler! 

• Like 1

redone

Gary. This tractor looks simular to my 1257. I am in the process of purchasing. But I question the cost. It comes with a fairly new 48 deck. Engine has been replaced at one time. Everything else looks good. Just old. Maybe a 1975.

Thanks

Bill 

• Like 1

Racinbob
16 hours ago, Gary Mayfield said:

Would love to get together sometime and discuss horse's. I live on the westside just west of the airport. 

Maybe 15 minutes away. I'm on the south side not too far off the bypass. Let's plan on meeting. Maybe coffee/breakfast, you come here, me there or whatever suits you. Being a retired old codger I have a pretty flexible schedule. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3