Gary Mayfield

New forum user here

rmaynard

:WRS:

Glad to have you aboard. Nice little round hood with great patina.

• Like 2

Gary Mayfield

Thank you sir. Yes I was up in the air on actually restoring it or leave it the way it is and just buff her out. Have the push plow, mower deck, single bottom plow, disc, drag, and rear duals for it as well. The more people I talk to about it says just wash it and clean it up. 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

She sure is a beauty...and to have all those attachments...WOW !!!  Clean her up first, she is only original once.  :occasion-xmas:

BTW   Welcome to Red square   :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:  I'd like to put a vote in for leaving it in its work clothes. That's a sweet looking little tractor!!

• Like 5

Razorback

Welcome, and congratulations on your inheritance! Sure is a beauty!

Part of me would be OK getting it like new and putting it to use, or simply clean it up and make sure it is all good mechanically, and use it.

Either way, it would be a hoot to see you keeping it in use!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Achto said:

:WRS:  I'd like to put a vote in for leaving it in its work close. That's a sweet looking little tractor!!

Yeah 

What he said

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

I would just polish er up!!

Super nice!!!

• Like 1

D_Mac

I agree with everyone who says leave looking as is and going through and getting mechanically sound. Welcome to the Square and keep us posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Gary Mayfield said:

Hello all new to this forum. I have always loved Wheel Horse tractors as I live in the town where they used to be made. I have had a few over my life but I have the honor of being a third generation care taker of my grandfathers tractor which was bought new by him used by my father and now my father is getting to the age where he can't take care of it anymore and has passed it down to me. The only thing I need to find to make it all original again is the 6 horse tech/lauson engine for it as it has been transplanted with a different make of motor. Here is a picture of it coming out of hiding and going to be heading to my garage for a little tlc

IMG_20181030_154644020.jpg

:text-welcomewave:to :rs: @Gary Mayfield!  Nice looking tractor, I’m another vote for get it running and enjoy it with a little washing and buffing!  By the look of your avatar, are you into racing by chance?  I’ve helped on a few local teams, we mainly race at Berlin or Kalamazoo speedway, but we’ve traveled into OH or IN for a few.

• Like 2

Gary Mayfield
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomewave:to :rs: @Gary Mayfield!  Nice looking tractor, I’m another vote for get it running and enjoy it with a little washing and buffing!  By the look of your avatar, are you into racing by chance?  I’ve helped on a few local teams, we mainly race at Berlin or Kalamazoo speedway, but we’ve traveled into OH or IN for a few.

Yes I am I use to to some racing here at our track in South Bend but got out of it a couple years ago, now I just help with the track safety team I drive one of the wreckers

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Gary Mayfield :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Nice looking 654! I have a 654 and ended up putting a KOHLER 6.25 HP engine in mine.

I would clean it up and coat it with "boiled linseed oil". It will really look sharp and still be a good worker for a 54 year old machine!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

It is always great to see a :wh: stay in the family for three generations and receive a little love. I love the look of a well preserved original family heirloom, restoring it would take away from the heritage of :wh: ownership

Cleaning it up with some WD-40, steel wool and 400 Wet/Dry sand paper will brighten it up while retaining the patina.

101_2540.JPG.8fe9efc602911342bdb2e680149bad91.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3

nice little Tractor, and in total agreement with all the others.....Its only original once. Takes love and time to get it to be in the condition its in now. You cant replace TIME, and thats the only way it got to look as sweet as it does !

Welcome to the Site......................lots of knowledge here !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Welcome to Red Square and that's a very nice machine. Great patina

• Like 1

Gary Mayfield

Thanks everyone I am glad I found this forum thanks to a buddy of mine. I have found a lot of info on here. If there is anyone in the northern Indiana area would like to see some tractor's

• Like 2

Digger 66

Welcome Gary .

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Gary.             Nuther vote to keep her as is.    Good luck finding a HH60.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Gary :WRS:   As you can see lots of help here already. like most said just clean it up and as for the tecky those are easy to find. check here and E-Bay C/list. I would go with the HH60 my self. But it is up to you. I have all the part #`s for the engine. Take your time and  enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

Clean it up and see what you have. I would use a Scotch-Brite pad as apposed to sand paper as it won't remove any good metal.  Use it with your choice of WD 40 or Boiled Linseed Oil I use PB-Blaster With Scotch- Brite Pads. I'm not apposed to a new coat of Red paint when required to save a Horse from rust. I would also be in agreement with using a 6 or 7 horse K-Kohler as a replacement engine. I'm fixing up my 80 Toyota 4X4 that still pretty much stock but I have been working on a new coat of paint original color Red of course.

It's your Wheel Horse we will be happy to see to saved. Just don't use Green and Yellow, I have one of those to, it was my Dad's [ !959 430 farm tractor ] I wouldn't paint it red either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:text-welcomewave: Gary

A few pics of my 654 (or 604?) with original (no you can't have it :)) Techy. Thing starts first pull and run well which is amazing for a Techy.

I was threatened to be castrated by the fellas if I touched the patina. I was severely admonished just for knocking off the barn dust! :lol:

Pay no never mind to the 502 belt guard, it was MIA but I managed to find one that worked at the Big Show with matching patina.

20180618_184358.jpg

20180618_184407.jpg

20180618_184415.jpg

20180907_165620.jpg

20180702_195433.jpg

• Like 7

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: Gary.  Great looking :wh: !!!

• Thanks 1

TIGman

:text-welcomeconfetti::WRS:

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the coolest :wh: forum on the planet.  Have fun searching around and getting to know the members here.  I think it is especially great that you live in the birthplace of these beloved little tractors.  Be forewarned—these tractors are like potato chips, you can’t just have one!

Concerning your 654, I highly recommend cleaning and buffing it well, finding a techy and dealing with any mechanical gremlins.  That patina is soooo cool and it is a family heirloom tractor to boot.  Do you have any pictures of it through the years? Those would be super cool to post here on the forum, I love those vintage pictures.  Can’t wait to hear stories that you or your dad may have about this tractor.  

Glad and you found us:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1