wrightorchid

Magnum 12 hp oil leak

wrightorchid

The pto side of the engine is leaking oil at the small hole on the side.  It has gotten much worse recently.  Any ideas?

20181025_153954.jpg

The Tuul Crib

No ideas but by 12 is leaking from the same side and it looks like it is coming from around the fuel pump. I will need to get a pic and post it to see if it is similar 

Achto

I think the hole that you are referring to is the one for the cam shaft pin. When you install the cam this pin is driven into that hole, it is an interference fit & this is what creates a seal. Your pin may have loosened up causing it to leak. Once the bearing plate is installed on the engine I do not believe that this pin can fall out. I would clean the hole out with some brake cleaner to get it as dry as possible, then fill the hole with silicone. Other option would be the to pull the bearing plate off and reset the pin.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

A small amount of oil is not that unusual but that looks more than a small amount.Clean the engine with something like purple clean from Tractor Supply. Once clean it should be easier to trace where the oil is coming from.The possible leak sources and their repair are spot on but make sure of the source.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

wrightorchid

It is from the hole on the side.  It is very dirty/oily.  I'll try to clean and seal.  Thought there might be a plug or something that went there.  Thanks.

• Like 1