WHMan2012

44" 2-Stage Assembly Questions

Kurt-NEPA
47 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Holy crap guy that's gonna be a tough act to follow...

Sure is, but you are getting there.  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

WHMan2012

It Was More Of A Project Than I expected, But I wouldn't Have Been Able To Do This Without Everyone's Help On This Site, You Guys Are Truly Amazing. Seeing These Blowers In Action On You Tube, I knew I needed To Get Me One, Didn't Know I would Have To Bring One Back From The Dead, But That Just Seems To Make It That Much Better. Now I'm Looking For Another To Rebuild For A Spare. I Do Have A Quick Question Though. The Lift Assist Springs, Are They The Same ? The Parts Diagram Has Them Listed As Separate Numbers So I'm Not Sure What Goes Up Under The Tractor. WHX21, Yours Looks Like The One I Currently Have Mounted Out Front. Do I have That One Wrong ? I Bought My Idler Sprocket Today At TSC It's A #40 / 17 Tooth, I Heard It's A Little Big, But Figured I'd Try It Anyways. Thanks Again For The Help And Support.

• Like 1

WHMan2012

I Installed My Center Brace Today, Don't Remember Who's Idea This Was, But Thank You For Posting Pictures. I was Thinking The Same Thing, That's Pretty Wide Without A Brace To Help Hold All The Torque. Here's A Few More Pictures Taking Today After The New Install. Tomorrow I'll Finish The Scraper Blade And Skid Shoes Install, Then Onto The Idler Sprocket Install On Thursday.Part_1.jpeg.1fb87c3274a958ba9d9792e7fd21310a.jpegwhs2.jpeg.08291824c642e545043b8d706144a2d9.jpegwhs.jpeg.e52ba0eb7a1a0a49305afae1b3bafec4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
8 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Installed My Center Brace Today, Don't Remember Who's Idea This Was

It was @Kurt-NEPA 's I believe :handgestures-thumbupright:.

How did you make those nice spacers/cover for the auger bearing upgrade?.... that's next on my to do list.

Also if someone could give the dims on the chute crank support I would appreciate it. I'm thinking a piece of conduit will work as I also need to fab that and the crank itself.

Eventually I will motorize it but for now manual inside the cab turn.

Kurt-NEPA
3 hours ago, WHX21 said:

It was @Kurt-NEPA 's I believe :handgestures-thumbupright:.

My Center Brace if this helps.

1276435258_CenterBrace_zpslctvwekh.jpg.0c99fe938840c3e3c908c04f6197b060.jpg

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 1

WHMan2012

Yes It Was You LOL And Thank You For Sharing That Photo. Mine's Not As Pretty, But Come Spring Time I'll Go Through And Fix / Replace Things To Make What Didn't Work Well This Winter, Hopefully Better Next Year. Got The Scraper Blade Mounted Along With The Skid Shoes. Tomorrow I'll Be Attaching The Two Components Together And Start Aligning The Idler Sprocket Up. If All Goes Well Hopefully Friday She'll Be Ready To Spin Over For The First Time In Several Years. As Far As The Question About The End Caps And Bearing Spacers, My Neighbor Down The Street Is An At Home Machinist, I Gave Him The Bearings I Had Ordered Off eBay And Told Him What I Needed Done. He Also Made Me A Brand New Auger Shaft, The Old One Had Broke At A Shear Pin Hole And For An Hour ( If That LOL ! )  And The Cost Of The Rod I think He Charged Me A $100. The Stock He Used Was $50 Alone. He Does Great Work. Also, He Made Me Stronger Steering Linkages As Mine Were Showing Their Age, Kinda Like The Owner. WHX21 Are You Currently Serving In The Navy ?? I Served From 1989 -1993 On The U.S.S. Nasville LPD -13. She's In The Moth Ball Fleet Now. Anyways Thank You For Your Service !!

• Like 1

WHMan2012

I Had Just Enough Time After Finishing Up Putting The Chain And Covers On And Greasing / Oiling Everything Up To Spin Her Over Today And Stick It In A Snow Bank. Holy Crap Does This Thing Throw Even Further Than Anticipated And I Didn't Mount The Rubbers On The Auger Fins Yet LOL. Tomorrow They're Saying 1-3" 's, But They're Watching A Big One For Sunday. Tomorrow I Still Have Some Loose Ends To Tend To Like The Shute Control Rod, Putting The Rubbers On, Etc... I'll Post More Pictures Over The Weekend. Was Anyone Able To Get WHX21 His Shute Crank Support Measurements ? 

WHX??
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, WHMan2012 said:

WHX21 Are You Currently Serving In The Navy ?? I Served From 1989 -1993

No Retired Reserves...served 77-81 active duty in the submarine service. retired from reserves 2001. Get retirement pay in 7 months when I turn 60 :text-woo:Thank you for your service!

8 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Get WHX21 His Shute Crank Support Measurements ? 

No not yet could use just the overall length and the distance to that bend.

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Here you go Jimmy... 15" bottom to bend, lynch pin hole 1" from bottom ,14" from top to bend, rod hole 1" from top when bent correctly at 10" up you'll be about 2" from engine tin and 3" away at the vertical parallel area...the crank rod (is 36" to hand bend) it is the same as the tall chute single but I added an extension (10-12") to get inside cab...hope this gets you in the ball park I also made a little extension to lower the crank rod to make it more accessible turning in the older cab without the pocketed doors.

IMAG5627.jpg

IMAG5628.jpg

IMAG5629.jpg

IMAG5630.jpg

IMAG5632.jpg

IMAG5633.jpg

• Thanks 2

Kurt-NEPA
41 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I hope somebody comes through with the dimensions.  I am missing my crank support too.  I have a cab so I use the support in the cab, but would like the support rod.

Kurt-NEPA
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here you go Jimmy... 15" bottom to bend, lynch pin hole 1" from bottom ,14" from top to bend, rod hole 1" from top when bent correctly at 10" up you'll be about 2" from engine tin and 3" away at the vertical parallel area...the crank rod (is 36" to hand bend) it is the same as the tall chute single but I added an extension (10-12") to get inside cab...hope this gets you in the ball park I also made a little extension to lower the crank rod to make it more accessible turning in the older cab without the pocketed doors.

Thanks Jeff, just what I need.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Thanks Jeff I have an extension made to have that crank right in my lap in the cab. I think it was a 12 incher  but can bob it off if it gets too long. Going to get the tractor in the shop this weekend,  pull the single off and start fitting up the carriage. Waiting on the gear box seals but luckily no snow in the forecast. In fact we have very little snow this season and very mild weather for this time of year. I'v also got the tall chute for back up.. but no cab! :occasion-snowman:

20 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I use the support in the cab,

What inside the cab is that Kurt? I did't know there was one on the inside? Or are you referring to a tab on the cab frame? If I remember right I only have a tab on the right side. Will have to check. With the single short chute the crank does not even come inside the cab and I have to reach through the zippered opening and even then the blower has to be lowered to reach . A real PITA! Never did care for the short cable turns. Don't think they were meant for use with a cab.

20181202_102525.jpg

20171112_174318.jpg

20190101_145908.jpg

• Excellent 1

Kurt-NEPA
12 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

What inside the cab is that Kurt? I didn't know there was one on the inside? Or are you referring to a tab on the cab frame?

Yes, I'm referring to the tab on the left side.

image.png.e3fb445f7de73c80085b6026462722ef.png

• Like 1

cleat

Tall shoot blower should work fine with a cab (just may need to lengthen rod a bit.

My big tractor with it's cab has hydraulic rotation and deflection.

796171279_Hydraulicchutedeflector2hosesmountedinblock2.JPG.bae5185e929f6e3488e0c242eef4efd2.JPG

1277498717_Hydraulicchutedeflectorcylindermounted2.JPG.188089dde277e7e6a47d46442d586658.JPG

2064522495_Feb92013snowblowing17.JPG.6aca38144cc51749630705e45be920c2.JPG

Cleat

• Like 2

WHMan2012

I Also Installed Grease Fittings On My Augers ( 2 On Each One ) And Filled Them Full Of Grease. Took About 1 1/2 Tubes Per Side. During Greasing Though Make Sure You Spin The Auger Over To Help Spread It Out On The Ends And Throughout. When I Pulled Mine Apart Originally, The Shaft Was All Rusted And Pitted From Water Getting In There. Hopefully This Will Help Keep Everything Lubed And Water Free. They're Saying 10" -18" By Tomorrow Night, Can't Wait. Still Got Some Little Things To Finish Up Today, Like Adding A Little More Rear Weight For One. 

WHMan2012

We Got About 6 - 8"'s Of Good Granular Snow And You Guys Are Right, The Work We Put Into These Snow Blowers Pays Off. This Thing Is A Bear, Wish My Yard Was Larger Now Lol. So Far, Everything Went Great, I'll Double Check The Chain Tension And Cotters Pins, Etc.. In The Am. Took Tomorrow Off To Do Some Final Clean Up , We Got Rain Coming This Week And Then Back To Cold Weather Again. Welcome To New Hampshire, Lol ! One More Thing I Wanted To Share With You Guys, Is That If You Have A Fairly Level Driveway That You Really Don't Want To Run Chains On, Switch To 4 Ply ATV Tires, They Work Great As An Alternative To The Hard Lawn Tires. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

We Got About 6 - 8"'s Of Good Granular Snow And You Guys Are Right, The Work We Put Into These Snow Blowers Pays Off. This Thing Is A Bear, Wish My Yard Was Larger Now Lol. So Far, Everything Went Great, I'll Double Check The Chain Tension And Cotters Pins, Etc.. In The Am. Took Tomorrow Off To Do Some Final Clean Up , We Got Rain Coming This Week And Then Back To Cold Weather Again. Welcome To New Hampshire, Lol ! One More Thing I Wanted To Share With You Guys, Is That If You Have A Fairly Level Driveway That You Really Don't Want To Run Chains On, Switch To 4 Ply ATV Tires, They Work Great As An Alternative To The Hard Lawn Tires. 

These AGs are 4ply as well...

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG5470.jpg

IMAG5493.jpg

IMAG5492.jpg

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Gotta Love Those Onans !!! I Love The Sound Of Mine While Snow Blowing, It Sounds So Mean Lol. Nice AG Tires, They Look Wider Than 10.50 Though In The Picture.

WHMan2012

Is That A 520H, HillBilly ?

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Is That A 520H, HillBilly ?

Yes.

6 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Gotta Love Those Onans !!! I Love The Sound Of Mine While Snow Blowing, It Sounds So Mean Lol. Nice AG Tires, They Look Wider Than 10.50 Though In The Picture.

Spot on, nothing quite like an Onan up on the governor chucking snow in the "dead" of winter, the cab does muffle it a bit but worth not wearing the snow like before I found the cab had a tall chute single for years would slice through 20+" no problem till I hit those DOT plow banks, as for width no definitely 10.50s on 8.5" wheels.

Picture24.jpg

IMAG3922.jpg

Kurt-NEPA
10 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Gotta Love Those Onans !!! I Love The Sound Of Mine While Snow Blowing, It Sounds So Mean Lol.

I agree, the flat head Onans just sound different.  I love the sound.  My 522xi with a 22hp Kohler V-Twin sounds so much more like a lawn mower.

My 95 520H and two stage made short work of the 8 inches of heavy wet snow that we got yesterday.  This was about as hard I have worked this beast and it came through perfectly.

BTW, the rubber chains got the job done.

1009689344_20Jan2019.jpg.42b389b660363f7f3e21e2034714ad2c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHMan2012

Rubber Chains ?? Never Seen Nor Heard Of Them. Do They Grip Well And Who Sells Them ? My New To Me 2 - Stage Helped Me Get My Driveway Done In Less Than 10 Minutes, So I Went Over And Helped Out Some Neighbors, Just To Play Some More.

WHX??

I don't have any but the guys here who have them guys love them. Someday will get a set and move my double links to another  tractor. My ultimate goal is to have a tractor with rubber chains on it and wheeled skids to avoid damage to expensive asphalt. Another snow tractor with chains for off driveway in the wood lot.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/ 

Lots of good info on that site.

Edited by WHX21

lynnmor

I have used the rubber tire chains for a number of years.  I find that they are about as effective as steel chains driving forward and reverse.  The negatives are the fact that they can slide sideways if the road tilts because the rubber straps become toboggans side to side, and when I went with square shoulder 4 ply tires the ride became real bad.  Also, with those stiff tires they are difficult to install.  I should buy a pair of 520H wheels to mount 2 ply tires and fill with fluid, then swap them out seasonally with the rubber chains permanently installed.

Kurt-NEPA
4 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Rubber Chains ?? Never Seen Nor Heard Of Them. Do They Grip Well And Who Sells Them ? 

I love mine.  Yesterday was about a slippery as my drive gets with it being a sheet of ice.  They worked reasonable well.  When I used steel chains, I was tearing up the surface of the driveway.  These rubber chains don't leave a mark.  One thing to remember, when you lift the very heavy 2 stage blower weight will come off the rear wheels.  Wheel weights are a must.  I'm also running 150 of ballast weight.

Amazon carries them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SMU9MK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Kurt-NEPA