Rock farmer

Mule drive bearings

Rock farmer

Are the bearings replaceble  by themselves?

or do I need to replace the pulley?

The inner vee pulley has a destroyed bearing.

can I use a puller to remove the outer idler pulley?

or will I destroy that one trying to get it off?

they seem to be pressed on.

are replacements available?

thanks!

joe

I'm talking about a 1990 312-8 with a 42” deck.

Edited by Rock farmer

The Tuul Crib

I would think that just the pulleys would be replaceable on these mule drives.

This is something I would like to know myself someone should come along that would know the answer:popcorn: to do this ,

• Like 1

Lee1977

The bearing are not pressed on, must be rusted to the shaft. You can not use a puller on that type of idler as the pulley will be destroyed. The idler pulleys were not designed for bearing replacement. Some Wheel Horses back in the 60's had replaceable don't know they changed but my 1977 never had them.

Try using PB blaster or some other penetrating oil to get the idlers off is the best way to save the outer idler.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

953 nut
9 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Try using PB blaster or some other penetrating oil

:text-yeahthat:    Considering the fact that the inner pulley is to be replaced there would be no harm in attempting to pull them together. Tapping on the end of the puller to shock the shaft a little can be helpful.

• Like 2

Rock farmer

Thanks guys,

soaking it with PB Blaster now.

dosnt look good for getting it apart without destroying the vee pulley.

maybe I can use the inner pulley to save the idler?

well see, not a lot of room to work with this!

joe

oliver2-44

Be sure you can get the correct replacement pulleys before you destroy them. I recall some on here have drilled out the rivets and matched up the bearing at NAPA or a bearing supply house. There is a thread on this somewhere with the bearing numbers.  

Maldonado there are 2 spacers on that mule drive shaft and they are slightly different lengths, Don’t mix up where they go or your belt won’t run in alignment with your motor PTO pulley.  If the spacers are rusted on any you end up destroying them to get them off you can make new one out of EMT electrical conduit or steel pipe

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Stens flat idler

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=4031

Stens V-idler

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=4657

1/2" long spacer part number 101757 is on the outside between the pulley and cover.

5/8" long spacer part number 101734 is between the pulleys.

Spacer ID needs to slip over 3/4" shaft.

Garry

• Like 2

Rock farmer

Well, overnight soaking and some gentle tapping

and it all came apart.

bearing still has some life in it.

but, I think I’ll replace anyway!

i wonder how long the previous owner ran it like that?

98262E2A-1AEF-4C25-BE16-EE944B9D3CE9.jpeg.f255d16d29b8c4cb2dea5db0f49c4c9b.jpeg

joe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

cleat

Bearing is still good on one side, just be sure to put the belt load on that side.

Ha Ha, just kidding.

Those are non replaceable bearings, just put new pulleys on.

Some of the old ones were made of cast iron or steel and had replaceable bearings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rock farmer

Well, got a new pulley yesterday.

stens p/n 280-750 replaces toro p/n 92-7103 about $21 bucks on EBay.

installed and mowed the lawn.

thanks for the help!

joe

• Like 1