Pullstart

Tire tube sizing question

Pullstart

I have a set of 6.7-15 tires, and have found tube sets on eBay sized 6.5 or 7 by 16 or 5 by 15.  Should I stretch the 15”, or bunch the 16”?

F2ACF956-EF53-42EF-AA50-86AF21B54F68.jpeg

pfrederi

tube.JPG

• Like 1

pacer

Many years ago when I was employed at 'a major airline' (Delta) I was the mechanic for ground equip, bag carts, etc. The baggage carts used 5.70x8 tires and would wear fairly quickly so I changed a LOT of tires! Pretty quickly I discovered that by using a 5.70x8 tube that it would often get a fold inside the tire when aired and with the fold flattened it would crack and get a leak there. So, I started using a 4.10 tube and it would not get a fold and decreased my flat tires greatly.

I have followed that thru with my horses and use one or two sizes smaller tube - I havent seen a fold crack in a long time. I like to use the comparison of when we were kids and swam with inner tubes we would 'blow' them up to huge sizes:P

• Like 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, pacer said:

Many years ago when I was employed at 'a major airline' (Delta) I was the mechanic for ground equip, bag carts, etc. The baggage carts used 5.70x8 tires and would wear fairly quickly so I changed a LOT of tires! Pretty quickly I discovered that by using a 5.70x8 tube that it would often get a fold inside the tire when aired and with the fold flattened it would crack and get a leak there. So, I started using a 4.10 tube and it would not get a fold and decreased my flat tires greatly.

I have followed that thru with my horses and use one or two sizes smaller tube - I havent seen a fold crack in a long time. I like to use the comparison of when we were kids and swam with inner tubes we would 'blow' them up to huge sizes:P

Great advice!  So the 5-15 should go just fine you suppose?

EAF7C87C-A439-4EDB-A282-22FC5FF97F70.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2

peter lena

" the repetition of a problem, is your greatest opportunity, to make that problem go away "  having been a 24/7 millwright , I can relate to a service issue, good call on that tube, pete

ebinmaine

Kevin, I agree with above posts. Bunching a tube is not the best idea in the world. Perhaps order that one that Paul has showing or the one you have available at 15 in. Better to stretch it a bit.

Pullstart

Thanks guys!  This might be a stretch or a long shot, but the tire is overall about 26x7r15 so I tossed a spare 23x8.5r12 onto it hoping the diameter difference will take up some of the width difference.  For now, it’s holding.  I suppose if or when it dies, I’ll go for the 5-15 option.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Well it’s holding air more now than before, somI’m calling this a win.  Fixed my angle grinder, now if I can revive my sawzall too, I’ll be in business!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1