wh315-8

1054 steering issue

wh315-8

Have a 1964 WH 1054. The tractor will steer tight to the left but only half the angle to the right. Drag link will hit the stops on axle on both sides. The steering gear has more teeth to go on the right but stops on the axle stop. Linkage is all good and snug. Seems if I adjust the linkage I will put the wheels out of straight. Is this normal for this model? Haven't tried to adjust anything yet, still trying to study what I could change so that it will steer the same radius both directions. Will get up close pics to post later. The linkage from the main gear to drag link is connected from the bottom up. I notice some go from the top down, I studied mine and it seems to be correct because of the bend in the link to go under the frame. The stops may have been added later, but seems it could be factory; even w/o the stops it would steer in same way, just have more radius but still short to the right.

Picture0911181350_3.jpg

• Excellent 1

pacer

You've probably 'jumped' a tooth or two on the fan gear. With wheels straight the fan gear should be centered on the steer shaft. You probably have slack in the bushings allowing it to slip past a tooth.

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:        If it has jumped a tooth or two you can pull the pin on the fan gear and relocate it to center and then bolt the pivot pin back in place.

Take a look at the Owner Manual.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Don't see how a skipped tooth would cause the problem here.

If a steering stop is preventing the wheel from turning further there has to be something wrong in that location. Is the steering stop original or has it been added? If the arm on the spindle was upside down would that affect the stop?

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Drag link hits the stops on the axle though he said?  If it skipped a tooth, the steering wheel would just be off, wouldn’t it?

On my Charger 12 frame I used for the Mrs. Pullstart build, one of the spindle steering arms was bent up from the PO moving it around with his fork lift (my guess of how it happened, that’s how he loaded it in my truck), maybe just verify that both spindles look the same?  It was binding just shy of the stop but turning much shorter one direction than the other.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

Don't see how a skipped tooth would cause the problem here.

If a steering stop is preventing the wheel from turning further there has to be something wrong in that location. Is the steering stop original or has it been added? If the arm on the spindle was upside down would that affect the stop?

Garry

I agree with Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Left and right spindles are different.

Is the difference the length of the king pin or is the difference in the angle the roll pin holes are drilled in relation to the axles?

Wondering if a left spindle assembly has been used on the right.

Could item 13 be turned over to help?

Could item 14 be turned over to help?

Some steering wheels are mounted on a splined shaft so if this is one of them the steering wheel could be centered but that is not the problem here.

Item 26 could be adjusted to center the wheel a slight amount. I see a Woodruff key in the top of the steering shaft at the wheel so it is not splined on this one.

Garry

Tractor 1964 1054 Steering SS #A-7136.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Drag link too long or too short? This would limit the steering as you would run out of fan gear before you got to the end. Works in my mind :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

cafoose
6 hours ago, pacer said:

You've probably 'jumped' a tooth or two on the fan gear. With wheels straight the fan gear should be centered on the steer shaft. You probably have slack in the bushings allowing it to slip past a tooth.

48 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Left and right spindles are different.

Is the difference the length of the king pin or is the difference in the angle the roll pin holes are drilled in relation to the axles?

Wondering if a left spindle assembly has been used on the right.

Could item 13 be turned over to help?

Could item 14 be turned over to help?

Some steering wheels are mounted on a splined shaft so if this is one of them the steering wheel could be centered but that is not the problem here.

Item 26 could be adjusted to center the wheel a slight amount. I see a Woodruff key in the top of the steering shaft at the wheel so it is not splined on this one.

Garry

Tractor 1964 1054 Steering SS #A-7136.jpg

If you disconnect number 27, jack up the front, and turn the wheels by hand that would rule out a problem with the fan gear. I would disconnect links one at a time until you find the one that is limiting the travel with it jacked up such as the fan gear and then maybe the tie rods.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

@wh315-8 this is the kind of amazing help you get on this site. 

I'm following along to learn,  as I have a 953 to restore.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Drag link hits the stops on the axle though he said?  If it skipped a tooth, the steering wheel would just be off, wouldn’t it?

On my Charger 12 frame I used for the Mrs. Pullstart build, one of the spindle steering arms was bent up from the PO moving it around with his fork lift (my guess of how it happened, that’s how he loaded it in my truck), maybe just verify that both spindles look the same?  It was binding just shy of the stop but turning much shorter one direction than the other.

The same thing happens to me on my 855 when it slips you'll hear a popping sound but it still turns from left to right properly but the steering wheel is off centered.The whole into the fan gear is a little wore out over the years due to lack of Grease.

• Like 1

19richie66

If your drag link is adjusted to long, it will turn further one way more than the other. If it’s too short it will not turn as far the other way. Is it possible that it is bent more than the factory bends it? 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

The same thing happens to me on my 855 when it slips you'll hear a popping sound but it still turns from left to right properly but the steering wheel is off centered.The whole into the fan gear is a little wore out over the years due to lack of Grease.

You should be able to put a washer or shim set between the fan gear mount and the cotter pin on the fan gear shaft to tighten it up.

EC86A8D7-FA3E-43EA-AA10-5D1F139B55A7.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wh315-8

Here's a couple more pics. The fan gear is off center. Will try to center it this weekend. There are roll pins holding arm to shaft. If the crossbar was too short or long it would put wheels out of straight 

Seems that the right roll pin needs turned but that would require drilling a new hole, doesn't seem right to change it from factory. Every thing seems to be factory. The left adjuster swivel was replaced at one time, but adjusting it would only put wheels out of straight. Notice the stops are welded on axle. 1/4" flat steel. Maybe the spindles were pulled out at one time & put in wrong sides. Will check for if the roll pin holes are off center, could be it. Tried pounding out one of the pins & it is tight. Sprayed liquid wrench & letting it sit. Thanks so far for great advice, will be checking these things out. 

20181030_081553.jpg

20181030_081538.jpg

Edited by wh315-8
Add more hints.

gwest_ca

If you were to flip the right arm over the arm would be above the stop and the brace on the arm would contact the stop would it not?

Can the tie rod be raised 1/2" without hitting the frame?

The roll pins are very tight because after the large one is installed they drive a small one inside the first. You may have to get the small one out first.

Garry

Shynon

On my 1054 i have about the same as yours, tight left and no so tight right. Yours should go tighter left as the drag link will crossover the tie rod nut. My fan gear is centered. The stops are on the bottom side of both cast steering arms, no stops on the axle. Yes the spindles are different one is longer on top. To center th ed steering just disconnect the drag link from the fan gear and turn the steering wheel and you can turn it out of the fan gear, and restart it into the fan gear to get it recentered.

20181030_194324.jpg

20181030_194259.jpg

20181030_194439.jpg

20181030_194413.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If that is the case it looks like someone has welded stops to wh315-8's axle.

Garry

• Like 1

wh315-8

The spindles do hit the stops. Can't be that the spindles are reversed, I see your point that the left is taller than the right. Been trying to figure out if those stops were factory or added later. Don't know why they would be needed if not factory. Might need to cut them out. Should be able to without damaging the axle. Even without them the steering radius' would be the same, would gain a little more each side. The #27 arm can't be flipped due to the bends and if it was flipped it would hit the frame. It's aggravating to be able to make a nice turn to the left but end up having to back up to complete a right turn. The angles look close to what Shynon has, can see where his left and right look like different angles like mine. Where is Lane Ranger? I know he has a fleet of 1054's. 

Shynon
6 hours ago, wh315-8 said:

Where is Lane Ranger?

@Lane Ranger @953 nut

19richie66

I have three gt14 and two 953/1054 axles laying here and none have stops on the axles themselves. My steering arms look the same as Shynon’s pictures. I believe I would cut the stops off the axles. Maybe they welded them on thinking it turned too far and the steering shaft was popping over the teeth of the fan gear. Never know what people are thinking. If thats the case, shimming the fan gear to the shaft would tighten it up. Cutting the stops off would give you back the extra turn radius. Just a thought.👍

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

WH315-:   I would suggest some more photos of the 1054 steering set up you have now.   Photos of the fan gear,  a low look or two from the front and several of the center bottom and center to front.    The wleded stops  must have been added for some other identified problem from the previous owner.     If stops were added some other changs may have been made that have not been identified.  The fan gear and the steering link ( # 27 in 1054 drawing above) seem to be the critical parts for the issue you are having.

gallery_339_37_648906.jpg

gallery_339_37_606252.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

wh315-8

Here they are, more pics. After reading possible solutions above. My fix could be 1-cut off the fabbed up stops. 2-center the fan gear. 3-hope for the best. Hard to get at fan gear for good pics. The linkages seem to be factory, except the front left tie rod end. And the rod end welded up to hold swivel bolt in. 

20181031_220334.jpg

20181031_220210.jpg

20181031_220134.jpg

20181031_215400.jpg

20181031_215253.jpg

20181031_215901.jpg

20181031_215802.jpg

20181031_214935.jpg

20181031_214903.jpg

20181031_214829.jpg

20181031_214300.jpg

• Excellent 1

ronhatch

I do not nor have I ever owned a 1054 so therefore I'm not an expert, BUT it looks like the spindle or the bore in the axle is worn or the top end of the spindle is bent?  Could that be part of the reason the drag line is not clearing the nut on the newer ball joint. Also does the new ball joint have a jam nut  that adds to it's height?  Centering the fan gear may help too.     And grind off those stops ASAP!                                                                         20181031_220210.jpg

Edited by ronhatch

19richie66

Getting rid of stops are the first thing I would do to start getting it back to normal. Then go from there.

• Like 2

wh315-8

Update, got to work on 1054 a little today. Cut off right side stop. As expected made right turn sharper. About the same as the left. Did not get to work on fan gear nor take off left stop. Happy Veterans Day fellow Soldier's. 🏅

Edited by wh315-8
Add notes.
  • Like 4