Chris1055

Saving a k361. Thoughts ??

Chris1055

Hi everyone. In my travels I’ve come across a k361 I can’t see it going to salvage. I know they went made long and have trouble with getting oil up in the top end. It was on a wood splitter and the guy said it was not abused. I’m pretty much a purest when it comes to wheel horses and don’t like cutting them up. So my question would be. Is this a good candidate to put on a c160 auto to use with a snowblower? I have a hood that is pretty beat up that I can make work with clearance issues because of the ohv. This motor is not a need more of just experimenting. But I was going to repaint the tractor in the spring so I’d figure I can clean up and put new gaskets and seals on the original motor it needs a couple and then I can paint it and have it ready. What do you guys think? Worth it or not?

20CB3B82-ABBD-468E-B10A-7026420F929E.jpeg

• Like 1

Chris1055

DB047145-D288-48ED-93DD-4CD6D601E0A8.png

WHNJ701

any cast iron kohler engine is worth saving.  I buy everyone I can regardless the condition as long they are priced within reason

953 nut

If I remember right the few :wh: models that came with them had a spacer under the hood hinge and dash to allow for the OHV.

Very cool to have, hope it works out.

stevebo

I just picked one of those up myself last week. I plan on using it to pull next season on one of my pullers. If you decide not to use it let me know. From what I have researched they are ok sol long as you run them at higher RPM and use the lighter oil. 

Chris1055
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If I remember right the few :wh: models that came with them had a spacer under the hood hinge and dash to allow for the OHV.

Very cool to have, hope it works out.

Wow I didn’t think wheel horse even had these in them! 

Chris1055
2 minutes ago, stevebo said:

I just picked one of those up myself last week. I plan on using it to pull next season on one of my pullers. If you decide not to use it let me know. From what I have researched they are ok sol long as you run them at higher RPM and use the lighter oil. 

Do they call for lighter oil or just for safe measure? 

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Chris1055 said:

Wow I didn’t think wheel horse even had these in them! 

Can't remember for sure that it was a factory installation. I just have a recollection of a post several years back where the K361 was in a mid '70s Horse.

Chris1055
8 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Do they call for lighter oil or just for safe measure? If anybody has pics of one of these in a tractor I would love to see them 

953 nut

MY BAD!      :hide:

Turns out it was a Tecky OHV, Not Kohler.    See post #  31.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I'd use it just to be different.

Love the look of it.

stevebo
40 minutes ago, Chris1055 said:

Do they call for lighter oil or just for safe measure? If anybody has pics of one of these in a tractor I would love to see them 

Here is the manual 

K361.pdf

Chris1055
14 hours ago, stevebo said:

Here is the manual 

K361.pdf

Thanks for the manual pdf. Hopefully it goes through and I get it this week

The Tuul Crib

If you don't buy it now and it goes to scrap chances are you'll be staring at it as a toaster later on Lol!:blink:

19richie66

I would love to have one of those just to have it. Very cool.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I would love to have one of those just to have it. Very cool.

I had that thought too.

Neat looking engine.

I missed out on a couple of Wisconsin 2 cyls that I thought were interesting. Now I wish I had em for a Horse.

ztnoo

I remember reading somewhere about the real problem which caused the lack of oil flow to the top end of the K361 OHV was the valve cover was not properly being vented.

Found the reference after a bit of head scratching and Googling:

"K361's lack of oil to the rockers and valves is because of a design flaw in the location of the crankcase breather. The top of the engine builds pressure therefore keeping the oil from reaching the top in sufficient quantities. It is a simple fix to get the oil up to the rockers. Block off the factory crankcase breather and install one in the aluminum valve cover on top of the engine. You will have to cut the factory valve cover to insert a breather. Once the top of the engine can breathe it will oil fine.
Think of any other engine with overhead valves and where the crankcase breather is. Kohler really dropped the ball on this one."

Post # 12,  http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/16803-kohler-k361-any-good/

• Like 1

Chris1055

When I pick up the engine and see how it runs. Maybe you guys can guide me in doing that to the breather. Doesn’t really sound complicated. 

TravelinJavelin

i believe those were only made from 1977 to 80 only specked one out on a 2418 economy tractor