Mows4three

What do I need for my Wheel Horse Today?

Mows4three

Hello folks,

I'm attempting to install some 2" wheel spacers on my 312-8 so I can run chains on it at hunting camp.  Thought I needed 7/16" - 20 x 1 1/2" fully threaded hex bolts.  Turns out they fell 1/2" short.   You can see in the accompanying photo that the lug nuts only engage the bolts by half of the length of the thread in the nut. 

I have searched the old inter-web for grade 5 (preferred) or grade 8 bolts that are fully threaded and I am coming up mostly empty handed.  I did find them for something like $5 each plus shipping from Grainger in a pack of 25, but like my grandma used to say, "We ain't the Rockefellers," and I can't see paying that much when I just need ten bolts. 

Does anyone have any 7/16" - 20 x 2" fully threaded hex bolts they would be willing to part with at a decent price or do you have a source for these bolts where I could get some that are reasonably priced?  

Appreciate your input and replies......

Cheers!

Dave

IMG_7924.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Have you tried Fastenal?

Mows4three

Thanks guys. 

I will look at Fastenal in the morning.   My past dealing with them has been as expensive as Grainger.  

As for stainless, they'd be OK if they were fully threaded.  I understand that's usually a rolled thread instead of a cut thread. 

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three

Tankman

Try Lowes. I got my 7/16-20 x 1 1/2” bolts there and I believe they had the 2” bolts also. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Or try http://www.xtrememotorworks.com

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

kasey54

try McMaster Carr

wallfish

Why not just use the bolts you have and bolt the spacer on from the front and don't use the nuts? Are those nuts smaller than 5/8 hex?

• Like 1

Mows4three

Thanks.   McMaster Carr is a good suggestion.   I forgot about them.    I'll try Lowes, too.   Probably reasonably more priced, if they just have fully threaded bolts.  I'm finding that most 7/16" - 20 are not fully threaded over 1 1/2" long. 

The spacers have a tapered seat.  A hex headed bolt head drawn into the hub will tear up the seat and not fully contact the spacer.  

Cheers!

Dave

pacer

Mcmaster will almost certainly have them. I have had to go to them several times for odd ball bolts/nuts - and strangely enough their ship charges are still VERY reasonable!

Mows4three

McMaster Carr : $4.45 EA plus shipping. Close to $55 total for ten bolts.  Not really what I'm prepared to pay. 

Lowes : No 7/16 in the pitch and thread style I need. 

I have an old contact at Hillman Fasteners. I'm going to bounce this off him, too.

Cheers!

Dave

roadapples

I got 6ft. Length threaded rod from Zoro.com for 20 couple $. I think b7 Was the same as grade 5....

Edited by roadapples
Speeling

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

I got 6ft. Length threaded rod from Zoro.com for 20 couple $. I think b7 Was the same as grade 5....

Apples may have your solution there big guy...

A little time consuming to cut all the pieces but you'll have what you need.

• Like 2

Tuneup

The source for fasteners here in GA Ace stores is Hillman. Ace might have what you need. It's my first stop. I love the old method of shopping bins and filling paper pouches.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Any threaded hardware I can wait a few days for,I buy from Boltdepot.com.Prices aren't outrageous,you can buys any quantity.Quick delivery.

pfrederi

Wonder why you need the spacer.  i run chains on WHs with out a big problem.  Do your wheels have the correct 1-3/8" Backset.  May Wheels out there have 2+ inch backset.  maybe yours were swapped out

Mows4three

Pete:   I bought the first set of bolts from Bolt Depot. Great prices, fast shipping and not too expensive to ship.   They don't have 2" fully threaded bolts (also called tap bolts).  

Pfrederi:   I mounted the same size tires that had been on the wheels when I bought the 312-8.  The old tires were shot and I didn't save them to compare their inflated width, nor was I considering chains at the time I bought the new tires and had them changed out.  

Thanks guys.

Cheers!

Dave

Mows4three

Ding Ding Ding.    We've got a winner...!

Fastenal had had them in the length I needed.  Grade five and 2". The price was reasonable and the shipping direct to me was cheaper than them doing an inter-branch transfer to our closest Fastenal location.   

Thanks for all the help, fellows.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Have you tried going to tractor supply? By the way where did you find those spacers to put on the hubs? 

71_Bronco

Mcmaster has 18-8 stainless screws, fully threaded, for $7.54 for a 5-pack. That's $15 for 10

Mows4three

Tractor Supply was the first place I looked.   They have no 7/16" bolts in either 14 or 20 thread CPI.

Dang it.   I didn't scroll down far enough on the McMaster Carr web page and was too quick on the trigger today.  I already have 10 coming from Fastenal.

My dad used to say "Everything you learn has a cost.  Some things you learn cost more than others."   I can't repeat here what my grandmother used to say....

Thanks guys!

Cheers!

Dave

• Haha 1

wallfish
16 hours ago, Mows4three said:

The spacers have a tapered seat.  A hex headed bolt head drawn into the hub will tear up the seat and not fully contact the spacer.

How about threading the nut up to the head of the bolt which gives you the taper and screw them in from the front? Looks like your bolts are only short about the thickness of the hub so they should thread deep enough into the hub.

Mows4three

Hello Wallfish:

Thought about that option.  The lug bolts originally on the tractor are not long enough to use with these aluminum wheel spacers. The 7/16" - 20 x 1 1/2" bolts have a standard hex head and are not lug bolts.  The 1 1/2" bolts have a flat surface on the bottom of the head instead of a tapered shoulder like a lug bolt.  I will be using a lug nut, as required by the profile at the bottom of the five holes in the wheel spacer.  

I think I've solved my problem now that Fastenal was able to supply me with what I needed.  

This project probably had a half dozen ways to get at he same end.  Now, I have some extra 7/16" fine thread bolts that I can use on another project and I also have accumulated more knowledge and expended a few more $$$ than I thought I would. 

Sure appreciate everyone pitching in their thoughts.  If it would ever stop raining and dry out I could get some work done with my tractors...!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2