Tach-a-matic

416H Throttle Creep - How to Fix?

Tach-a-matic

Hello fellow Horsemen

How might I go about fixing the throttle so it does not creep from 100% back to 50%?  

Here is what its doing...

lynnmor

Common problem.  There is a rivet where the throttle handle pivots, put a small high quality screw thru the rivet and then locking nut on the screw.  Tighten till there is enough drag to hold the throttle in place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66

I'm not really sure but I'll take a stab at it and say the lever shaft probably pivots on a rivet that has loosened up over time .

Drill out the rivet ad replace with a similar sized screw and either double nut it or use a Nyloc / aircraft style locknut .

I'm sure the experts will have a better idea though ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
Just now, lynnmor said:

Common problem.  There is a rivet where the throttle handle pivots, put a small high quality screw thru the rivet and then locking nut on the screw.  Tighten till there is enough drag to hold the throttle in place.

You just beat me :D

benji756

I was able to peen the rivet on my 520h to cure this problem, I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer on it.

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

Thank you fella's I will try one of these methods

• Like 1

WHX??

Some of the later models had a dimple at the WOT  position to catch the lever and hold it at WOT. On some late model verticals the dimple was the only way to hold the throttle as the only way the maker wanted  to run the hydro was full  power up, mostly the cheaper disposable hydros. That dimple may be worn down. I tiny bit of weld then filed is one fix. if you have to replace the rivet with a screw as mentioned above use a wave washer in between the lever and bracket.  

• Like 1

c-series don

I too have a 416-H that does the same thing. Funny thing is that after it runs for 20 minutes or so the throttle doesn't creep down?! 

WildHorses

Drill the rivet at the throttle pivot point with a 1/4" drill bit and replace with a 1/4-20 bolt and lock nut. You can adjust the torque on the nut to adjust how firm you'd like the throttle lever.  This was a method the factory Wheel Horse people instructed our dealership to use after replacing throttle cables (with brand new cables) frequently and having creep reoccur within a short period of time.

If you peen the rivet it will need to be done again in a short period of time, although it will work if you're in a pinch. 

• Like 1

doc724

If you use the method suggested by Wildhorses, put a belleville washer under the nut.  This will provide a constant resistance to motion.  A true Belleville washer is slightly cone shaped.  This is different than a saddle washer which is cupped in only one direction. 

• Like 2

WildHorses
13 hours ago, doc724 said:

If you use the method suggested by Wildhorses, put a belleville washer under the nut.  This will provide a constant resistance to motion.  A true Belleville washer is slightly cone shaped.  This is different than a saddle washer which is cupped in only one direction. 

Yes, I like to use a washer also. I forgot to mention that.