Csanderson0628

Key ignition issue

Csanderson0628

Hello everyone, 

I have another issue. So I have a key ignition problem. I replaced with a new ignition and still not working. When I turn the key, it does nothing. I can put power to the coil and by pass the relay and it will start. 

Does anyone know what could be the issue or know how to by pass the ignition for temporary?

Model k341as 

Thank you

• Sad 1

pfrederi

Did you get a battery ignition, ignition switch  Has an "I" terminal not an "M" terminal??

Do you have 12 volts at the B terminal of the switch?

• Like 2

Chris G

Could possibly be a safety switch problem and not the key switch.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Depending on the machine….Safety Switch, wrong ignition switch.

• Like 2

953 nut
52 minutes ago, Csanderson0628 said:

When I turn the key, it does nothing.

By this do you mean the engine will not turn over and there is no change in the Amp/Volt meter? Solenoid doesn't click? 

How are the present symptoms compared to the symptoms prior to the new ignition switch being installed?

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

A picture of the tractor would help a lot.

The k341 is the engine but not the model of the tractor. There are different key switch types. The picture will tell us what you need.

• Like 2

AlexR

There are a couple of things it could be for one there is often a safety switch for the brake petal so you have to depress the brake petal to start it the wiring for that could be faulty.

Another problem that I had was one of the wires going to the voltimeter/ampimeter was loose and that caused the same problem of not starting.

oldredrider

A K341AS is a cradle mount engine. There is a ground wire on the cradle. Check to see if it is broken, loose etc. Without it connected, it won't start or run

• Like 2

Pullstart

On the safety switches, you could bypass one at a time by disconnecting both wires and using a paper clip or another section of wire pushed into the terminals to make a normally closed circuit.  That’s heating troubleshooting 101, right @WHX21 Jim?

953 nut
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

On the safety switches, you could bypass one at a time by disconnecting both wires and using a paper clip or another section of wire pushed into the terminals to make a normally closed circuit.  That’s heating troubleshooting 101, right @WHX21 Jim?

Check your wiring diagram first, not all safety switches are "NO" (normally open).

• Like 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Check your wiring diagram first, not all safety switches are "NO" (normally open).

Very good point that not all safety switches are NO, but the circuit as a whole needs to be closed to get power to the coil or the starter solenoid right?

953 nut
On 10/28/2018 at 10:57 AM, Csanderson0628 said:

I replaced with a new ignition and still not working.

Please let us know if any of the previous suggestions have been helpful. I presume you are working on a late '70s or early '80s C-16?, fill us in please. Not all Wheel Horses have the same wiring and safety switches.

:text-feedback:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1