New carb Or Kit ?

TimH

Trying to find a new carb or Kit for a 4 hp  K90

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

The Tuul Crib

For me I would probably just buy a new carb and bolt it on  but I'm not real fond of the Japanese or Chinese models because they are metric. I'm not sure about the K 90 if you can find a carb kit for it but it is worth looking for 

ebinmaine

If it's not to gummed up I prefer to try to rebuild the existing carburetor first.

I think they are a better built and more precise instrument overall than the modern cheap Asian replacements.

If your linkage is worn very much it may not be worth rebuilding the old one.

You could try placing an ad in our want ad section or contacting Lincoln at a - z tractor.

• Like 3

953 nut

You can find new Chinese carbs and kits  on :techie-ebay:. As Eric said the one thing that will make a carb a real good candidate for replacement would be a throttle shaft with too much play on it. The worn hole for the shaft can be repaired with a bushing and if you are doing a restoration and are concerned about authenticity then rebuild it.

If you buy a replacement be sure the choke lever has the correct arm for your application.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

I save tractors has a replacement for $60, not sure if it's a Chinese knock off or a decent repro. He doesnt have a rebuild kit listed for the k90, but may have one if you try emailing him.

I'm sure there is someone making rebuild kits, or check ebay, there has to be some NOS ones kicking around.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 71_Bronco said:

rebuild kit listed for the k90

Maybe @buckrancher could chime in on this?

Lost Pup

I purchased a knock off for my kohler twin. Extremely satisfied with it. I did have to adapt the choke lever but otherwise a perfect fit.

Chris G

I always try to rebuild the original. But on one of the k-91's I had, I did use a Chinese knock off and overall I was satisfied with it.

TimH
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If it's not to gummed up I prefer to try to rebuild the existing carburetor first.

I think they are a better built and more precise instrument overall than the modern cheap Asian replacements.

If your linkage is worn very much it may not be worth rebuilding the old one.

You could try placing an ad in our want ad section or contacting Lincoln at a - z tractor.

I broke down and set up a Cleaner I have had for a short time. Main jet and carb cleaned up really well. Choke and throttle shaft look ok.  Float had hole in it I had to solder. Needle was stuck in closed  position. Cleaned up well. Polished seat with Q-Tip in a drill with valve lapping compound. Just going to need a gasket set.  Turns out Horse has been setting for ten years. Changed fuel lines , Cleaned tank with acetone and sealed with tank sealant.  New filter.

IMG_0376.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Well done sir!

As stated above, get a hold of Lincoln and he'll be able to fix you up with a gasket set for that if nobody local can do it for you.

I live in a rural area and a lot of my stuff is mail-order and he has become a preferred vendor for me.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
15 minutes ago, TimH said:

I broke down and set up a Cleaner I have had for a short time. Main jet and carb cleaned up really well. Choke and throttle shaft look ok.  Float had hole in it I had to solder. Needle was stuck in closed  position. Cleaned up well. Polished seat with Q-Tip in a drill with valve lapping compound. Just going to need a gasket set.  Turns out Horse has been setting for ten years. Changed fuel lines , Cleaned tank with acetone and sealed with tank sealant.  New filter.

IMG_0376.jpg

An ultrasonic cleaner is on my Christmas list lol I've heard so many good things about them!

71_Bronco

I checked ebay after I posted last night, there were a few k90 carb rebuild kits. Shouldnt be an issue getting one, and that's the way I'd go personally.

Good luck with the rebuild

• Like 1

TimH

Found Gasket that was on a old Honda Scooter That worked. I love this new carb cleaner .

• Excellent 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, TimH said:

IMG_0376.jpg

Where did you get it???

Achto
3 hours ago, TimH said:

Just going to need a gasket set.

The gaskets, needle & seat are the same for K90 - K341. I always go with the OEM set, I've had better luck with them & they're not much different in price. Here's a link to a good source for them.

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_carburetor_parts.htm

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

TimH

Ended up and drove to next town and got a kit from dealers for 10 bucks All is good now Thanks

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

TimH
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, pfrederi said:

Where did you get it???

EBay

Horseoholic

bought one of those china carbs. for my H60 67' L157 horse..........it leaked worse than the old one, had to take parts from the old and implement it to the new, works like a charm, without a doubt, try to find a good kit.

rjg854

I tend to like using a kit.  I've had fairly decent luck rebuilding them.  I did put a new carb on the 16 Automatic but that was because the PO put one on, but it worked backwards. It looked as tho the choke was being used, and it bugged me.