dclarke

Lawn Ranger for the grandkids #2

Pullstart

I’m surprised you got rid of the other one, but I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Looking forward to another great build !

• Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, dclarke said:

I decided to paint the rims rather than powder them so I don't scratch them up when mounting the rear tires.

If you cut the fingers off an old pair of leather gloves and put them on your tire tools you will reduce the likelihood of scratching your rims.

• Like 4

dclarke
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’m surprised you got rid of the other one, but I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!

It was a good deal for both of us and it went to a good home. 

• Like 3

ol550

Have lost the picture, but when I put an 8 speed in a Lawn Ranger I turned the hub to fit the wheel and tapped the holes. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

dclarke
3 hours ago, ol550 said:

Have lost the picture, but when I put an 8 speed in a Lawn Ranger I turned the hub to fit the wheel and tapped the holes. :twocents-02cents:

Good idea, Mike... I needed to shorten the axles on this one and cut new keyways so I’m having the axles turned down. 

dclarke

I finally got the axles back from the guy that turned and shortened them for me. The tranny's back together with new bearings and seals and I have modified the fender pan support and tool tray to fit the 8 speed and cut a slot in the tunnel cover for the hi/lo shift lever. Once I get done modifying the frame and tins I'll take it back apart to paint it. I considered powder coating this project but decided to stick with paint instead. 

DSC07399.JPG

DSC07400.JPG

DSC07403.JPG

DSC07405.JPG

DSC07407.JPG

DSC07408.JPG

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

Shynon

Looking good Denny :handgestures-thumbupright: Did you bead blast the differential and mushroom gear? look pretty clean

dclarke
2 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Looking good Denny :handgestures-thumbupright: Did you bead blast the differential and mushroom gear? look pretty clean

Yes I did, Tom. Couldn’t stand the little bit of rust that was on it. Taped off the bearing surfaces first though. 

• Like 5

dtallon

Looks like another good project Denny.  You are probably going to get your second one done before I get my first one done.  I got to the point of trying to figure out how to do the brake band linkage and then other projects got in the way.  Make sure you take lots of pictures of that part.  

Dave

dclarke
1 hour ago, dtallon said:

Looks like another good project Denny.  You are probably going to get your second one done before I get my first one done.  I got to the point of trying to figure out how to do the brake band linkage and then other projects got in the way.  Make sure you take lots of pictures of that part.  

Dave

Here’s my brake linkage, Dave. 

9C5F6C2F-148D-4735-A114-1C6E603C29AA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
On 11/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Shynon said:

Agreed Tom and just chiming in to follow... you decide to paint it pink Denny I have this little girl who thinks a pink tractor....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

WHX??

After look Denny that seat looks pretty good shape.... thoughts? 

dclarke
16 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

After look Denny that seat looks pretty good shape.... thoughts? 

That was a nice seat but I didn’t get it with the tractor. I may use an original seat pan for this tractor though. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
12 hours ago, dclarke said:

Here’s my brake linkage, Dave. 

9C5F6C2F-148D-4735-A114-1C6E603C29AA.jpeg

Pink...  clear coat...  you could make any color look good Denny!

• Excellent 1

dclarke
11 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Agreed Tom and just chiming in to follow... you decide to paint it pink Denny I have this little girl who thinks a pink tractor....:handgestures-thumbupright:

1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Pink...  clear coat...  you could make any color look good Denny!

This one will be painted red to replace the one I had for the boys... The next one will be pink though!  

DSC07432.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, dclarke said:

boy I wish I knew the trick to rewinding that spring and getting that thing put back together.

Seriously.... I get my favorite Small engine repair place to do it.

I'll tackle most anything because we want to learn how to.

Recoil reconstruction and reloading is probably the shortest trip to insanity for most normal humans.

:lol:

Making good progress there Denny.... Slow but sure is perfectly fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sarge

I use welding clamps - F type, they fit down into those recoil heads nicely and prevent that thing from snaking up your arm like a razor blade.

Sarge

• Like 1

dclarke

Yesterday I had a chance to replace the 6200RS bearing in the drive belt idler pulley. I ground the heads off of the old rivets with a 2" cutoff wheel then drove them out with a punch and I set the new rivets with the 2 pound hammer. 

DSC07461.JPG

DSC07464.JPG

DSC07465.JPG

DSC07462.JPG

DSC07466.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Nice Denny,:handgestures-thumbupright: you ever see my thread on doing those? https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61433-pulleys-idlers-for-free/?tab=comments#comment-570677 I use bolts to put it back together but your way is more original. You have a problem with recoils let me know, I got the knack for rewinding them.

• Like 1

dclarke
45 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Nice Denny,:handgestures-thumbupright: you ever see my thread on doing those? https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61433-pulleys-idlers-for-free/?tab=comments#comment-570677 I use bolts to put it back together but your way is more original. You have a problem with recoils let me know, I got the knack for rewinding them.

Nice job on those, Jim. I have one of Brian’s stainless rings on one of my other tractors. The bolts make it easier to change the next bearing, that’s for sure. 

EE4387A8-5FB4-4C2C-9DD6-4BD587CB7496.jpeg

• Like 2