The Tuul Crib

308-8

The Tuul Crib

Called this guy this morning he says he wants 350 for it but it smokes heavily. Wouldn't take any less for it and said it dont eat so it's just going to sit there and rust. Are the 308-8 any good?  I just couldn't see paying that much for something I would have to put a lot of money into the motor and the rest of it .:angry-cussingblack:

IMG_4823.PNG

Edited by The Tool Crib

Pullstart

I wouldn’t pay that, but the Kohler 8 horse is a great engine to get into rebuilding!  They are as simple as they can get and a rebuild kit can be had for less than $100, last I checked.  Show him my post “nothing to loose” that tractor with a deck went for $350.... or at least that ballpark.  They accepted my offer of $350, but someone else in the seller’s group sold it not knowing they accepted an offer on it.

I only have 6-10 hp engines in my herd, the majority of them being Kohler 8’s.  There’s always room for another!  Great workers and gas sippers.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
42 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I wouldn’t pay that, but the Kohler 8 horse is a great engine to get into rebuilding!  They are as simple as they can get and a rebuild kit can be had for less than $100, last I checked.  Show him my post “nothing to loose” that tractor with a deck went for $350.... or at least that ballpark.  They accepted my offer of $350, but someone else in the seller’s group sold it not knowing they accepted an offer on it.

I only have 6-10 hp engines in my herd, the majority of them being Kohler 8’s.  There’s always room for another!  Great workers and gas sippers.

Yeah I don't plan on giving them that much but I sure hate to see it sit there and rust!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Just a couple months ago I was asking one of my favorite Small Engine guys up here in Maine what to sell a non Wheelhorse for. Something my friend had. He told me anything that runs  and cuts grass is worth $300 and then they go up from there.

If the engine smokes that takes a lot of the value out, obviously.

If you look at it from a Parts perspective...

If. Note the word if.

if those rear tires are not all weather cracked they're worth $100.

If that mowing deck is solid it's worth at least $100 to $150. Maybe more.

Even if that 8 speed transmission is a light-duty one with the one inch axles it's got some value. Maybe $100?

So is the rest of the tractor worth another $50?

• Like 1

KC9KAS
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Just a couple months ago I was asking one of my favorite Small Engine guys up here in Maine what to sell a non Wheelhorse for. Something my friend had. He told me anything that runs  and cuts grass is worth $300 and then they go up from there.

If the engine smokes that takes a lot of the value out, obviously.

If you look at it from a Parts perspective...

If. Note the word if.

if those rear tires are not all weather cracked they're worth $100.

If that mowing deck is solid it's worth at least $100 to $150. Maybe more.

Even if that 8 speed transmission is a light-duty one with the one inch axles it's got some value. Maybe $100?

So is the rest of the tractor worth another $50?

I just sold a very nice B-100 with nice snow plow for $250 and a decent 312-8 with "holey" but quiet deck for $200....I must not be selling to the right people!

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, KC9KAS said:

I just sold a very nice B-100 with nice snow plow for $250 and a decent 312-8 with "holey" but quiet deck for $200....I must not be selling to the right people!

Tractor prices are very high here.

Ridiculous.

I sometimes think I could buy an implement like a plow or grader elsewhere and ship it here and still be ahead.

The Tuul Crib
20 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

20 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Location location location! 

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

If it's not too far away check it out see how much it smokes and what the rest looks like then make him an offer. It is still a wheel horse garden tractor and there are 10-14horse engines out there that are bolt on swaps for reasonable prices

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

The Tool Crib. Did you check the oil in it? Was on the black side? I had one like that and the oil was not changed like it should have . I changed it a few times with cheep oil and it slowly went a way for the most part. I think being not taken care of made a sticky ring. Just my:twocents-02cents:

953 nut

A treatment of Marvel Mystery oil may be all it will need to make the smoke go away.           :twocents-02cents: