Dennis C.

Re-engine a 1969 Wheel horse 700

Dennis C.

I just located a decent 1969 W.H. 700 that includes a snowblower and mower deck. Currently it has a B & S snowblower engine in it. I believe the original had a 7hp Tecumseh. What would be a good replacement engine that is easily available? Haven't been able to locate a Tecumseh on the internet. Thanks.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Dennis C.   :WRS:  Enjoy the site lots of help here.

Racinbob

:WRS:

Unless you want to keep it as close to original as possible I'd suggest a Kohler 7 or 8hp. Easier to find and a much better engine. The install would be pretty simple. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Dennis C. said:

What would be a good replacement engine that is easily available?

:text-yeahthat:

If you want to stay original, then I would keep looking for the correct Tecumseh engine. If original is not the goal, then my fist choice would be a Kohler K181 or Kohler Magnum 8hp. A Brigg's I/C engine would not be a bad choice either.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have a 700 at home that is going to be a similar project. It has the original 7hp tecumseh on it, but I've never been able to make it run right and I've had it for years. So now I keep my eye open for a Kohler k181 like something off of a B80 and I'm going to do an engine sway and call it a done. If you don't mind the look of a modern engine you can get a 6.5 horse predator engine at harbor freight. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
11 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I have a 700 at home that is going to be a similar project. It has the original 7hp tecumseh on it, but I've never been able to make it run right and I've had it for years. So now I keep my eye open for a Kohler k181 like something off of a B80 and I'm going to do an engine sway and call it a done. If you don't mind the look of a modern engine you can get a 6.5 horse predator engine at harbor freight. 

Put an HH-70 on the L107 (Avatar Pic) while my Father still had it back about 1990 (Only reason was to get ACR as he was having issues with his shoulder and had been to frugal to buy an L157 in 1967).  That HH70 starts instantly year round and in all that time the only issue was some dirt in the carb a few years ago.  Never had a points problem (like some on my Kohlers) Think I changed the spark plug a few years ago.  She is my chore tractor and is used several time sa week for three seasons and then once a week in the winter.  If you want to sell your 7hp techy I would be interested...  (Also have his circa 1970 Troybilt tiller with a HH60.  Only used once a year but fires up on the third pull and runs great....)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Snowblower are a easy way to find the engines. Just measure cranks.

Carboraters are easy to find on eBay. Here's my 552 with a 1967 h70 from a Toro walk behind

20181022_152240.jpg

20181019_162934.jpg

20181017_164329.jpg

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I would check with A Z tractors. Lincoln fixed me up with a nice 8 hp kohler for my 855. The parts for a Tecumseh are getting hard to find . Good luck!:text-welcomeconfetti:

Pullstart
49 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Snowblower are a easy way to find the engines. Just measure cranks.

Carboraters are easy to find on eBay. Here's my 552 with a 1967 h70 from a Toro walk behind

20181022_152240.jpg

20181019_162934.jpg

20181017_164329.jpg

That’s a sweet hood..

• Like 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

I just located a decent 1969 W.H. 700 that includes a snowblower and mower deck. Currently it has a B & S snowblower engine in it. I believe the original had a 7hp Tecumseh. What would be a good replacement engine that is easily available? Haven't been able to locate a Tecumseh on the internet. Thanks.

:text-welcomeconfetti: @Dennis C.!  I have one Tecky and the rest are Kohler powered.  The Kohler is a much easier engine to work on, the Tecky runs great (needs a pull cord currently though) and I believe is under appreciated, but I haven’t ever had to work on it either.  The last item I purchased just for the engine was an air compressor that was leaking.  Keep your eyes open, and you’ll find a decent mill for it somewhere!

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
30 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That’s a sweet hood..

Lol yea searching for anothet

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

When you find one, I’ll give that one a home!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. This Wheel Horse  really isn't  a good candidate  for a total restoration.   I'll probably look for  Kohler instead I did find a couple of Tecumseh snowblower engines of that era on Ebay. Not sure if that would be a good route for a novice. Thanks again.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Dennis C. :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:.

I have a Work Horse 700 with a newer Tecumseh 10 hp engine!

Dennis C.
13 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@Dennis C. :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:.

I have a Work Horse 700 with a newer Tecumseh 10 hp engine!

Do you have pictures?

peter lena

having seen a number of similar / older horses at various shows , I think the h/f engine choice is simple and dollar smart. basically building a ride around tractor, you can make it into anything, resto /mod is popular , letting you do whatever you want, good luck .pete

formariz
On 10/24/2018 at 10:40 AM, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

I wouldn't change it. Lots of character. When you see something like that and still functioning after all these years you have to look at it with respect.

• Excellent 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:

• Like 1

KC9KAS
9 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

Do you have pictures?

Not readily available. Sorry.

953 nut
On 10/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, Dennis C. said:

Not sure if that would be a good route for a novice.

You will find lots of information and help on this site. If you are unsure of a particular engine's suitability just gather as much information as you can and ask, you will get lots of help. You can't post links to Ebay or other sites here, but you can COPY and PASTE the write-up.