dave647

pto clutch

dave647

how critical is the thickness of the facing material? do you recommend rivets or glue? i can get john deere clutch discs for $20 but they are .160 thickness. does the pto clutch have it's own oil reservoir and if so how to add oil (amount and type) any help will be appreciated. thanks dave

pfrederi

I just put a new lining on an older Charger 10 (6" PTO)  it is .125 thick  The old 6 inch PTOs were riveted the new 6-3/4 inch are bonded.  Might be easier to glue the JD one on....

The outer ball bearing is sealed the inner needle bearing needs some grease applied to it.

• Like 1

dave647

would it be advisable  to drill and tap for a zerk? i have installed zerk at brake and clutch pedals and installed a remote zerk at the left side of cowl for the steering bushing. thanks

Lost Pup
6 hours ago, dave647 said:

would it be advisable  to drill and tap for a zerk? i have installed zerk at brake and clutch pedals and installed a remote zerk at the left side of cowl for the steering bushing. thanks

Luv to see a pic of the remote zerk to the steering bushing.

dave647

i am old school and will have to figure out the photo process. i hate computers. and cell phones,and electronic ignitions,and safety switches,and lawyers,and politics,and .........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, dave647 said:

have to figure out the photo process.

Once the photo has been downloaded to your computer the process of adding it to your post is rather easy. Just go down near the paper clip symbol and left click on the choose files... which will take you to your computer's photo file. Select the photo you wish to post and double click on the photo. The computer will now come back to the posting and the photo will be at the bottom of the page. Click on the "+" sign on the photo and it will be added to your post.

Give it a try!

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
14 hours ago, dave647 said:

No.  A zerk may lead to over greasing.  Excess grease will get on you friction surface.  Pull the PTO bell once or twice a season. N work some grease into the needle bearing but not an excessive amount

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Can the face of the clutch wheel be turned

like a brake rotor?

Skipper

yes, but don't make it too thin ;-)

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Can the face of the clutch wheel be turned

like a brake rotor?

May be too small a diameter for the machines...but why would you want to??  I have never seen a bell with a damaged surface other than some rust that you can take off with some emery cloth.  The brass rivets do not damage the steel bell.   Besides you can get good used bell for not much more than a shop would charge to resurface...if they could do it.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dave647

here comes the pictures. they are not award winning (my first attempt) any questions please ask. steering bushing is a steel 3/4 id x 1" od with a 1" stop collar welded to it. drilled thru set screw location on stop collar. used a 1/4" brake line and a 3/8" x 1/8" reducer bushing to screw zerk into.884389890_A002.JPG.c080040fb2f85fbb4aa2895f9961dac0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dave647

DSC03363.JPG.f949b93faf887b759e599f9837151dba.JPG2108468627_A004.JPG.825b58a640e902fccf632230bcf2ac4b.JPGmore pictures

A 005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Great idea!