Cetan08

cast iron 16 horse Briggs

ebinmaine

This is a picture that Lincoln

@A-Z Tractor

sent to me two or three months ago when I was looking for an air cleaner. I don't know if he still has this engine but it was a late sixties or early seventies Briggs. Maybe he can help you out?

IMG_3964.JPG.12b6191ecf95c0f8c7d95da5e42136b2.JPG

Cetan08

Here are some pictures.

IMG_20181031_143505316.jpg

IMG_20181031_143707646.jpg

IMG_20181031_143732386.jpg

IMG_20181031_143743562.jpg

• Like 1

Howie

That pulley you are wrapping your rope around is your belt pulley.

• Like 1

Cetan08
9 hours ago, Howie said:

That pulley you are wrapping your rope around is your belt pulley.

I guess I am going to start looking around for the correct starter then.  One question. The two wires coming out from behind the flywheel I can assume go to a stator. If this is the case then I don't need a starter generator, just a starter or are they the same?

pfrederi

The wire to the left looks like it had a diode on it.  That would indicate a 3 amp unregulated charging system but I can't be sure.  Here are some parts manual pic that may help figure out what you have.  i would strongly recommend you get a service manual for B&S

Date Codes are important on B&S

Edit:  From your model #  32 cubic inches  Horizontal shaft   Ball Bearing and pressure lube!!   Electric gear drive starter with alternator (stator)

bs1.JPG

BS3.JPG

BS4.JPG

BS5.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

Cetan08

I lately go to the mailbox and then stand there wondering what I went there for. Having said that, after reading the post from pfrederi I dug out my clymer book on Briggs engines and did some reading. Discovered all sorts of neat stuff about the engine that I have. After looking at the starter in the diagram, I also noticed that it came with a couple pieces of tin and rivets. These pieces are already on my front cover indicating that this is the correct starter for my engine. Going to order a starter for this engine and get it going. I am also hoping to find the correct pieces that I need to repair the ends of the stator wires. And a big thank you to a member on here for helping me out with a carb. I was able to make a good carb. and it works great. Let you know how this all goes.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

. I was able to make a good carb

Excellent

:handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

lately go to the mailbox and then stand there wondering what I went there for. 

Hahahahahaha

Me too.

In fact, just last night I walked into the kitchen to a particular corner of the room and completely forgot why I was there.

gwest_ca

B&S service manual. Click on the picture

Garry

Cetan08

I got the starter in and it spins the engine real good. Fired once but that was it. I believe that the condenser is shot. Should I just go ahead and convert it to electronic ignition or keep the points?

Thanks

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

Should I just go ahead and convert it to electronic ignition or keep the points?

Thanks

You may get Arguments for or against points or no points.

Personally, given the opportunity, I would get rid of the points and go to an Electronic Module on pretty much any Briggs engine.

it's an easy conversion to do on those and it should give you better long-term reliability.

Cetan08
33 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You may get Arguments for or against points or no points.

Personally, given the opportunity, I would get rid of the points and go to an Electronic Module on pretty much any Briggs engine.

it's an easy conversion to do on those and it should give you better long-term reliability.

Thanks. That's what I believe would be the best also.

• Like 1