Cetan08

cast iron 16 horse Briggs

Cetan08

I have a 16 horse Briggs that is missing the carb and would love to get it going to use in a project. The numbers on the engine are-
326437 0174-07
Code 7603301
I understand that it takes the flowjet II carb but all I am seeing are the ones for 7,8,9 horse engines.
Without the number for the original carb, how do I know which one that I need?
I also see carbs that say medium and large. Haven't done much with Briggs so not sure how to get the correct one.

ebinmaine

It's possible I may be able to help you out here

First let me just put out in the front that I am NO Briggs & Stratton expert.

I have read or heard in the past that when the older Briggs engines get up around the 12 to 14 horsepower range that is when they start using the large bore updraft carburetor.

If you have any pictures of what is on your engine that you could post it would be awesome.

I happen to have two of those large bore carburetors but I don't know how complete they are. They came out of the auction pile I got a couple months ago.

If you can use them, you pay the freight and they are yours.

They look to be in good condition and are not super filthy or anything. Maybe you could throw a gasket or two in one and get your Briggs running??

Let me know...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

C-85

I hope you find a carb and get this running!

I liked the old cast iron B&S engines and thought they were great! :)

I'm curious what it came off?  I think I remember that Simplicity and Gilson used them, but I'm not sure who else, maybe Sears/Roper?

I had always wondered :confusion-confused: why they stopped making them, I think they were nearly as good as the Kohlers at that time.

Anyways, that should be a good engine, I hope you can get it running again!

C-85

• Like 1

Cetan08
27 minutes ago, C-85 said:

I hope you find a carb and get this running!

I'm curious what it came off?  I think I remember that Simplicity and Gilson used them, but I'm not sure who else, maybe Sears/Roper?

I had always wondered :confusion-confused: why they stopped making them, I think they were nearly as good as the Kohlers at that time.

Anyways, that should be a good engine, I hope you can get it running again!

C-85

Not sure what it came off of. I was called by a friend and was asked to clean out an abandoned storage unit. I saved it and a very nice wood burning stove. Going to put it on an older WH.

• Like 2

Howie

Going by the serial number it was built in 1976. I have old microfiche cards that does show a type number of 0174.

Lost Pup
9 hours ago, C-85 said:

I'm curious what it came off?  I think I remember that Simplicity and Gilson used them, but I'm not sure who else,

I have an MTD 990 with the Briggs 16 hp single. 

Edited by Lost Pup

gwest_ca

All B&S show that is available for 326437-0174 is an operator manual. No illustrated parts list.

Garry

pfrederi

I have the IPL for your engine.

Need anything??

I "Think"  I uploaded the whole IPL to the manuals section

BS 2.JPG

BS 3.JPG

BS IPL.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

Cetan08

Took the head off the engine and it is very clean in the cylinder and valves are in excellent condition. Cleaned the points and set the gap but still had no spark. I pulled the flywheel cover and the flywheel was pretty rusty. Cleaned all the rust out but still nothing. I test the magneto and it was bad so I put a new one on. Got spark now and good compression. Soon as I get the carb. I will install it and start it with a rope on the front. Then I will round up a starter.

Looking forward to getting it going and mounted on the 416-8.

Rob R

Like craftsmanmower I have B&S 15HP Thumper on my Suburban SS15 great, great engine was in the woods covered for a number of years took me a while to get it going.... I had all kinds of spark issues and could not get a good spark with it until I found a NOS original coil (non electronic) put that puppy on and she mated with the existing flywheel & 50 year old magnets and the spark was super.... then came the carburetor you are correct these engines have the LARGE flow jet Carbs the mile long fuel atomizer rod which if you can get out make sure you say a special prayer to your favorite saint.. mine would NOT so I carefully drilled it out without damaging the seat replaced the rod, cleaned the rest of it thoroughly ….. that was five yrs ago and to this day is the best starting and running tractor I have loves to take my abuse and the sound the engine makes is the closest to a John popper I know.... attaching some befores and afters. 

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (1).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (2).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (3).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (5).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (6).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (7).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (8).JPG

• Excellent 6

WHX??

Wow Rob...talk about a labor of love...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Well done Rob...thanks for sharing all those :text-coolphotos:  it is great when you invest time and effort into something and you get to reap the rewards and benefits of that labor expended!  

@ebinmaine something looks vaguely familiar with that air cleaner:eusa-think: :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@ebinmaine something looks vaguely familiar with that air cleaner:eusa-think: :)

Hmmmmmmm........

Wonder where I got that from......

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

IMG_20181028_142739807.jpg.d47c5000968084bd0150f36720c8d73b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: Boy...I love that picture. Calendar worthy for sure...two horses going to work!

• Like 1

Cetan08

That turned into a really nice tractor. I have spark when turning by hand. Nothing to write home about. Shocks me pretty good when I hold the plug wire so hoping it works. I will report on the carb. When it gets here.

• Like 2

Rob R
58 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

That turned into a really nice tractor. I have spark when turning by hand. Nothing to write home about. Shocks me pretty good when I hold the plug wire so hoping it works. I will report on the carb. When it gets here.

The other thing I did which may be helpful to you and worked out great is replace the gas tank with a plastic one since the original was to far gone, also the small vacuum fuel pump (simply blocked off the existing vacuum line) .... I intended to install a later model B&S later but tried to eliminate it first what I did is install a very small elbow fitting at the tank which raised the overall gas gravity feed by at least an inch and added an old style bowl filter right next to the carb..... works so well I have never touched it since and I have a LOT of hills at my house.....

• Excellent 1

DarylJ

Beware of a potential catastrophic problem with this engine’s carburetor design.  As you will see on the diagram above, there is a Welch plug used to plug the end of the main horizontal venturi (airway).This Welch plug has the potential to wiggle loose due to engine vibration, then fall out completely leaving the airway wide open, causing the air cleaner to be bypassed entirely! Evidently this carb can be used with different air cleaner orientations, so the Welch plug is used to plug the non-used airway. This happened to my cast iron single cylinder 16HP Briggs & Stratton (exact same engine as yours) twice, both times completely unseen due to it’s barely visible location, causing dust and dirt to be drawn into the carburetor and directly into the cylinder, causing the cylinder wall to become scored, necessitating a .030 rebore once and a new short block after the second mishap.  After the second time, JB Weld was used to permanently affix the Welch plug into the carburetor venturi.  Since doing that, no more problems.  Other than the Welch plug fiascos, the Briggs 16 has been an awesome, bullet proof engine.  For me, it powers a Toro Groundsmaster 52 that I have had since new in 1983 for weekly mowing of a 2.5 acre rolling lawn. Just keep changing oil regularly, and change out the air filter as needed, too.  

Edited by DarylJ
  • Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

my ss14 lol @Rob R

11061740_10204087829330972_3737396006521402777_n.jpg

11121490_872161492822716_36804495_n.jpg

11156924_872160022822863_1196610732_n.jpg

1026171551-00.jpg

1026171551-01.jpg

1026171723-00.jpg

1103171457-00.jpg

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Excellent 1

Rob R

WOW similarities with your build craftsmanmowerfreak is unreal..... LOL and congrats...…. no problems with my welch plug to date but think I will get a little epoxy on it....p.s. did you ever finish the front rims?  

Elkskin's mower junkyard
27 minutes ago, Rob R said:

WOW similarities with your build craftsmanmowerfreak is unreal..... LOL and congrats...…. no problems with my welch plug to date but think I will get a little epoxy on it....p.s. did you ever finish the front rims?  

Put different rims on. I also had to change engine earlier this year the 16hp I put on it last year let go now it's got a low hour 14 go from another ss14. My 15 is in corner of a shed doesn't get out much lol ss15 is dark blue one

20181023_183146.jpg

20181023_183157.jpg

20180915_164411.jpg

• Like 1

Cetan08

I put a carb on today and got the engine to fire a couple of times. Using a rope to start it is to much for this old man. I am looking around for a starter. I checked the numbers on the engine and they are : 326437 0174 01. There are teeth on the flywheel but the nose of the starter would need to be long. My engine has a piece on the front that you would wrap a rope around and pull it to start it. I notice that many of these engines have a starter generator on them. No place for a belt on mine. I am wondering what I have here. Any ideas sure would be appreciated. I will get some pictures.