Matthew

Noisy engine

Matthew

Just bought a d200 with the Kohler. I got it running, and it’s a little noisy. Not like knocking, but just kinda loud. Do these old iron Kohler just make more noise than I’m used to? Seems like mostly at low rpm. Are the valves adjustable?

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum. Click on the picture

Garry

The Tuul Crib
56 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Just bought a d200 with the Kohler. I got it running, and it’s a little noisy. Not like knocking, but just kinda loud. Do these old iron Kohler just make more noise than I’m used to? Seems like mostly at low rpm. Are the valves adjustable?

I would suspect maybe a rod by the way you are discribing it. 

ebinmaine

Hi Matthew and welcome to Redsquare.

If there's any way you could take a video that is a minute or two long and post it to YouTube and then give us a link we could listen to it and try to give you a better opinion.

As you can imagine, it's very difficult if not impossible to answer a question like that from a verbal description.

Older engines in general back before about 1980 or 85.... are a little louder than the more modern ones. They also are known for being a rougher running engine.

You poke around online very much at all and you'll find the saying...

Wheelhorse makes it, Kohler shakes it.

• Haha 1

pfrederi

D 200 are pretty noisy what with the  dual exhaust.  your oil pressure OK???

• Like 1

pacer

I have a 200 and a 180 and  ---- well, .... looking at it from a new owners point of view, it just might seem a bit noisy, especially comparing to newer engines. As mentioned the Kohlers do seem to be some what noisy and shake, but they just "take a liking and keep on ticking"

But, try and get a friend or neighbor or ?? to listen to it and get another opinion - or two. If it is a rod or piston or ?? then you sure would want to get it corrected before it comes apart.

And welcome, not many of us horse lovers down here in the deep south. That "Big D" is a heck of a tractor and you oughta love it.

• Like 1

Matthew

I’ve read that these engines have had connecting rod issues. I hope to use it a while before having to go into the engine. So far the pump seems strong. The hour meter has been replaced and shows 200 hours. A little smoke, but not bad by any means. I think for what I paid for it 300.00, i didn’t come out too bad.  It holds good oil pressure, so I’m tempted to think that it’s a combination of tappet noise and maybe the cowling rattling. I’m so pumped about this thing! I want to use it to work a garden about 1/4 acre.

Matthew

I’m gonna try to figure out how to upload some pics and a video. It came with a plow, disc, cultivator, and still has the mowing deck. The implements sat at the edge of a pasture for many years and the disc especially is in bad shape. I’m hoping to find some new blades and bearings etc. to fix it. 

Matthew
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

D 200 are pretty noisy what with the  dual exhaust.  your oil pressure OK???

Yeah, the oil pressure seems good. Stays around 50-60 psi. It drops to around 25 at hot idle.

KC9KAS

@Matthew :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:.

You did good on the D-200 & implements deal!

• Like 1