bc.gold

Senior Moment

bc.gold

Put a Kubota V2203 into storage a few years ago and stuffed paper toweling first into the intake followed with a plastic bag to keep critters from nesting. Recently brought the engine out from its hiding place, hooked up a battery and fuel, removed the plastic bag but forgot about the paper towel.

Towel was intended to keep out moisture.

senior.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

SylvanLakeWH

So, it didn't like your efforts to stoke the fire and get a draft going with a bit of burning paper to...? :D

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

I hate posting to this thread, especially when an incident I'm reporting on involves me.

Last  fall I rebuilt the Sundstrand hydro from my Allis Chalmers 720 which previous owner had towed destroying the pistons on the motor end, I salvaged replacement parts from a Cub Cadet the "U" style hydro that uses the same piston and motor blocks.

Expected air to be an issue but then you do not have a fluid bench the next best thing is to install the hydro which is what I did, then bleeding the implement and other ports while turning the engine over on the starter.

The tractor is hanging off a chain hoist with both rear wheels removed and I watching for a hub to turn, after many repeated bleeds nothing is happening as it should so I'm thinking that I'll have to remove the hydro and go back through it with a fine tooth comb. A project scheduled for warmer weather so it has not been a priority.

Now for the senior moment, tractor not only has hydro but three speed manual transmission and the darn thing was in neutral and this is why the hubs weren't turning.

Procrastinating on removing the hydro paid off in spades

Edited by bcgold
  • Haha 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

darn thing was in neutral

And here I was expecting the Tow Valve to be open.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

And here I was expecting the Tow Valve to be open.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sundstrand inline series used on the Allis 720 and its Simplicity sister model the 9020 does not have a tow valve, the Cub Cadet "U" series Sundstrand  from which I robbed parts from does have the tow valves.

Cub Cadet came from the landfill and the custodian helped me load it, even without an engine or tires it was a struggle to load.

Allis 720 with an Arc front end loader from Alberta paid $500.00 and the seller delivered it to Manitoba for another $600.00, gasket set for the hydro new seals and bearings throughout. Pages from the rebuild manual printed out then stapled to the shop wall and had done everything by the book so when the hydro refused to work I was to say the least very somewhat mystified as to what I may have done wrong on the assembly.

The Hydro on my Simplicity 9020 is weak both on the charge pump and the motor end so it needs a complete overhaul with perhaps even replacing some of the hard parts.

When I pressure tested  the charge pump was getting under 300 psi, I'm hoping the gear set from the charge is not to badly worn and that I may be able to lap the surfaces with diamond grit with out taking off to much material which would have a negative affect on the case hardening.

As for other hard parts I know of another Cub Cadet nearby that I could purchase, have to first confirm that it is hydro driven.

• Like 1

Sarge

I presume you know about LJ Fluid Power in Michigan, if not - look them up as they are a great resource for parts for all things Sundstrand, not to mention have some very highly trained tech information.

Sarge

Edited by Sarge
mispelled

bc.gold
31 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I presume you know about LJ Fluid Power in Michigan, if not - look them up as they are a great resource for parts for all things Sundstrand, not to mention have some very highly trained tech information.

Sarge

Bearings and seals all cross over to after market from name brand manufactures, the only Sundstrand item purchased was the gasket set.

Then as luck would have it the pump and motor cylinder blocks  from the Sundstrand "U" series will interchange with the inline series, these hard parts from a Cub Cadet brought home from the landfill these parts  were used after measuring them against the spec sheet below.

Cylinder blocks and valve plates were hand lapped to a mirror finish.

PowerMax hydrostatic manual.pdf

hubic.com.jpeg

wear.jpeg

Edited by bcgold

Sarge

I'm keeping a copy of that dimensional spec chart, not sure where you found it but that's worth a lot for working on these pumps.

Thanks for posting that !

Sarge

bc.gold
24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I'm keeping a copy of that dimensional spec chart, not sure where you found it but that's worth a lot for working on these pumps.

Thanks for posting that !

Sarge

One of the fellows from Berendsen Fluid Power in Winnipeg sent it to me, even after hand lapping my valve plates they were still within spec. I did however reject a few pistons that had excessive slipper wear.

bc.gold

Pressure testing charge and implement pump port, in the parts diagram below item ( 4 ) are shims of various thickness. The port plug is hollowed out, if shims are required to compensate for aged and weakened springs this is where you'll find then hidden.

If your still unable to meet spec on the output pressure then you may find that the shear pin on the charge pump drive gear has broken or the gears are so badly worn and need to be replaced.

My Simplicity 9020 is only putting out 300 psi on the charge / implement port and it leaks down so there could be a problem with part numbers 3 and 7.

one.png

two.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
On 12/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, Sarge said:

Sarge

flint.png

Sarge

Those prices are quite reasonable. One thing LJ Fluid power has is new main shafts - they have had them custom build for those units that have stripped the splines off. Around $180, I think but at least you have options when it happens if you want a new replacement part.

Sarge

bc.gold
14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Those prices are quite reasonable. One thing LJ Fluid power has is new main shafts - they have had them custom build for those units that have stripped the splines off. Around $180, I think but at least you have options when it happens if you want a new replacement part.

Sarge

A fellow from Saskatchewan had the rear PTO hub and shaft that passes through the transmission on his Allis 720 machined from 4140 alloy using EDM to burn in the external and involoute splines on the hub

EDM machining is amazing technology.

Edited by bcgold

Sarge

Yes, yes it is. I spent the coin to have that rotten cast iron coupling on a D series cut for a key with a wire EDM machine when I worked to solve those blowing the splines off the pump shaft. Pump shaft actually got machined while still in one piece - I had to build a frame to hold it rigidly for the vertical milling process. Job shop didn't like breaking several cutters trying to cut that Sundstrand shaft - evidently they used some seriously hardened tool steel. That wire EDM process is awesome - they do a lot of custom work here just 25 miles from me, even willing to do quote work like mine.

Sarge

WVHillbilly520H

I actually ran a wire EDM at work, but never anything as intricate as a spiral gear on a shaft like the above video, here's a little video of it running doing the jobs that was part of my daily routine, Jeff.

• Excellent 1