clueless

Decal removal?

clueless

I'm thinking of replacing my decals on my 312 with Terry's carbon fiber ones. Looking for the best way to remove the old ones. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've used a heat gun and a couple different chemicals that are advertised to be able to remove stickers.

I've had kind of limited success to be honest. Curious to see what other people recommend.

Digger 66

Hair drier .

Heat the surface from the rear so you warm the glue rather than the vinyl itself .

Start at a corner and peel slowly while warming the surface .

You'll get the feel of it .....

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

stevasaurus

Digger nailed it...that is the best way...from the back.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Yap, a little warming but not to hot was the trick.

On metal surfaces i use the hot air gun instead, but be carefully, not to disturb the coloring.

not heating, only warming.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

oven cleaner if you don't care about the paint

• Sad 1

ronhatch

Wife's hair dryer always worked for me. I then follow up with a cleaner/wax.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yep, Mamma's  blow dryer.   Heat at a corner, then lift the corner with a razor blade enough to clip on a spring clamp.     Pull gently at a 45 angle while applying heat along the line of separation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

The residual adhesive that stays on the paint can be removed with Goo Gone without doing damage to your paint or leaving residue.

Multi-Purpose Remover, Automotive, 16 oz.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Pinstripe decal eraser wheel on a drill

• Like 1

Marv

Yep! Diggers method works for me.

Marv

Tankman

Heat gun and Goo Gone.  

Terry's decals are #1.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

For the footrests, coarse skateboard grip tape. Seems to last forever!  

One piece will do both footrests. 

WH-Skateboard.thumb.jpg.deb86563555657b1eb036b3a40fa4d86.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

I am with majority .... HEAT

:angry-screaming:

Kenneth R Cluley

W D 40 will also loosen Goo/residue without harming paint. spray and let soak awhile wipe off. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
4 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Wife's hair dryer always worked for me. I then follow up with a cleaner/wax.

4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep, Mamma's  blow dryer.   Heat at a corner, then lift the corner with a razor blade enough to clip on a spring clamp.     Pull gently at a 45 angle while applying heat along the line of separation.

I agree - but gentlemen, a word of advice: borrow and return said device in the EXACT same condition, including how the cord is wrapped, where it was in her drawer, in the correct bathroom, without greasy fingerprints or chips, old paint or glue on it anywhere etc... Do not ask me why I know these rules, just suffice it to say that if you do not follow these basic guidelines you will realize that new blow dryers are more expensive nowadays than the old red wire and a blower type that you probably should have had in the garage anyways......

:twocents-02cents:

As Red Green says: I'm a man, I can change, I guess, If I have too...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart
49 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I agree - but gentlemen, a word of advice: borrow and return said device in the EXACT same condition, including how the cord is wrapped, where it was in her drawer, in the correct bathroom, without greasy fingerprints or chips, old paint or glue on it anywhere etc... Do not ask me why I know these rules, just suffice it to say that if you do not follow these basic guidelines you will realize that new blow dryers are more expensive nowadays than the old red wire and a blower type that you probably should have had in the garage anyways......

If the women don’t find ya handsome, at least they can find you handy.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854

my propane torch seem to work for me

953 nut
16 hours ago, Tankman said:

For the footrests, coarse skateboard grip tape. Seems to last forever!  

One piece will do both footrests.

Comes in RED too!

100_0069.JPG.b69d81ebb03efcc56fd5e8ba8d826ea2.JPG

• Like 2

clueless
15 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

If you've been married to the same women for more than 20 years, you should know all the rules by then. Thanks guys heat and some WD 40 it is. By the way WD 40 is one of the best products to clean and protect stainless steel, use to use it on the sinks, wrapper, and tables in the butcher shop at work, just don't let the food inspectors, or the OSHA guys know :angry-nono:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Achto

A heat gun works good to remove the decal but you are always left with the adhesive to clean up. When I worked as a body man I found the most effective way to remove stripping was a gum eraser wheel on a drill. Removes the striping/decal and the adhesive in one shot. Will not damage the paint (as long as you don't stay in one spot for a long time).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Rubber-Eraser-Wheel-Adapter-1-Pack-Vinyl-Decal-Pinstripe-Adhesive-Remover/112554670?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=550&adid=22222222227040463854&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=87987256970&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-205071785330&wl5=1016367&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354493&wl11=online&wl12=112554670&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisiZkPee3gIVV-R3Ch3xCQ1OEAQYBCABEgLThfD_BwE