WildmanC120

Predator 22HP Engine Swap. Who has done one???

richmondred01

Even though I’m not a fan of the predator engine, that looks bad to the bone. 

It turned out well. I actually like the pot mufflers better then the single. 

I have two more electric PTO’s if anyone is interested in a similar predator swap.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WildmanC120
6 hours ago, USHorse said:

OMG Thank you so much for that link.  I just ordered 2 of them.  That saves me a big headache

WildmanC120
3 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Even though I’m not a fan of the predator engine, that looks bad to the bone. 

It turned out well. I actually like the pot mufflers better then the single. 

I have two more electric PTO’s if anyone is interested in a similar predator swap.

IDK how much of a fan I am either yet.  I kinda bought it as a test really.  I already had the tractor and heard these have excellent reviews.  The build quality seems to be pretty decent.  It should last a few good years being taken care of.

The only thing I think thats cheap are the rods.  They are just machined rods and no bearings.  I bet with just upgrading those you will get a long life out of this engine.  We will find out I guess.

953 nut
20 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

If I were to use these I would use 2" pipe instead of the 4" that's on there so they do not stick out as far. 

Even at two inches I would suggest a brace from the engine to the pipe. The flange is attached by bolts threaded into aluminum and I fear the vibration and the potential of a muffler being hit could pull the threads out.           :twocents-02cents:

WildmanC120
26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Even at two inches I would suggest a brace from the engine to the pipe. The flange is attached by bolts threaded into aluminum and I fear the vibration and the potential of a muffler being hit could pull the threads out.           :twocents-02cents:

I'm not too sure I would really worry about it.  With the new setup I'm not sure that even 1/2 the mufflers will stick out the hood.  I will take it into consideration though after getting them installed and seeing the finished product. 

I would eventually like to get the stock muffler back on or even a stack.  This should get me through the winter though.  Who knows, maybe it will grow on me. 

WildmanC120

Picked up these trick flanges thanks to a member here.  These are awesome and will make my life so much easier.  

IMG_20181105_212157.jpg

IMG_20181105_212204.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120

Got the new exhaust installed and at the length I want it. Finished wiring up my PTO and putting the switch in the dash. I also was able to trim the stock choke and throttle cables in the dash and those are now functional.  All I have left is to move the key switch and remove the box from side of motor.  Tractor is now fully functional. I will be removing the snowblower from my C-120 and putting it on this for the winter tomorrow.  

Wheel Horse C-161 22HP Predator Complete Pepper Pot Exhaust

IMG_20181107_155345.jpg

IMG_20181107_155406.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WildmanC120

IMG_20181107_155414.jpg

IMG_20181107_160045.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WildmanC120

Another decent day today in the North East.  Pulled out the C-120 and took the snowblower off and brought it to storage.  Got the snowblower installed on my C-161. It sure is nice to have that hydro lift.  I am now officially ready for winter and kinda excited to see hoe well this thing works. 

Wheel Horse C-161 22hp Predator W/ Snowblower Attached

download_20181108_180143.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

richmondred01

Wow. Great job. 

A beast.

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

Where are your thrower extensions so its 42" wide?

IMAG2990.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WildmanC120
6 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Where are your thrower extensions so its 42" wide?

IMAG2990.jpg

I had to take them off because I couldn't shut the door on my shed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

cleat

Time for a bigger shed :tools-wrench:

• Like 2

WildmanC120
2 minutes ago, cleat said:

Time for a bigger shed :tools-wrench:

Truth. Thank god that's only temporary living arrangements.  

peter lena

thank you for taking us along with your picture show, I like the predator engine setup, I don't like the electric pto,that hard squealing start made me look for a  softer start, hunting around I found this ,http://www.gdimeters.com/article.cfm?ArticleNumber=7 , maybe its a possible cure for the issue? I think your approach on each step is the way to go , you are really helping  future engine swappers, me included. good luck with your future modifications to this process, pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

thank you for taking us along with your picture show, I like the predator engine setup, I don't like the electric pto,that hard squealing start made me look for a  softer start, hunting around I found this ,http://www.gdimeters.com/article.cfm?ArticleNumber=7 , maybe its a possible cure for the issue? I think your approach on each step is the way to go , you are really helping  future engine swappers, me included. good luck with your future modifications to this process, pete 

Thanks for the kind words.

I would have preferred the manual PTO myself, but this was much easier for me to install and get working.  Also with reports of the predator engine not liking force applied on the end of the crank, this was the way to go.  

In the end, if it costs me a $25 belt a year then so be it.  I can't really be mad at that. 

• Like 1

fast88pu

IMG_20171210_130408.jpg

IMG_20180421_165531.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

cleat

Awesome looking tractor.

Love the great job on the stack.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 11/8/2018 at 8:08 PM, WildmanC120 said:

I had to take them off because I couldn't shut the door on my shed. 

At the Winchester 400 in October there was a FedEx truck modified to fit a race car!  They rolled the door up, cut the bottom 3 feet of the body and put exterior hinges on, rotated the tail light section of the truck out, pulled the car in!  They had less than 1/2” of clearance to get the car through, luckily they didn’t wad it up and have to cut it apart to re-load after the race!

I’m sure there is a crafty way to get the winged blower in the shed somehow...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

USHorse

I am doing a similar swap.  How much space should there be between the electric PTO and the drive pulley...Should there be a spacer? 

TravelinJavelin

man i like the looks of these predator engines in these tractors we just need to see one with a set of fish tail pipes ......wonder if there is enough room on a 953 lol?

WildmanC120
7 hours ago, USHorse said:

I am doing a similar swap.  How much space should there be between the electric PTO and the drive pulley...Should there be a spacer? 

I do not have a spacer or anything.  The PTO will bottom out on the shaft before it touched the drive pulley. 

IMG_20181101_174300.jpg

USHorse

Wildmanc120....i am putting in an on/off toggle switch.  At which point in the system did you draw power from.  If i do directly from the  battery is that Kosher?

USHorse

I have the same set up as you.  Electric pto on a 22hp predator 

WildmanC120
9 minutes ago, USHorse said:

Wildmanc120....i am putting in an on/off toggle switch.  At which point in the system did you draw power from.  If i do directly from the  battery is that Kosher?

Power for the engine or for the PTO?