WildmanC120

Predator 22HP Engine Swap. Who has done one???

WildmanC120

Looking to put one of these in my C-161 as the B&S just took a dump.  Who is using one of these engines? How are they?  What needs to be done to make them work in the C Series etc etc. 

slammer302

Bowtieguy put one on a C-175 last time i checked he liked it. 

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Bowtieguy put one on a C-175 last time i checked he liked it. 

You have a link by chance. I cannot find the thread.

slammer302

I don't think he made a thread about it. He brought it to a meet and greet a few years back and let me take it for a ride.

WildmanC120

Looks like I am gonna be doing one. 

IMG_20181024_145707.jpg

• Like 3

SPINJIM

Let us know how it goes.  I have a 520H that needs a replacement engine.

Jim

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Let us know how it goes.  I have a 520H that needs a replacement engine.

Jim

Looks like its gonna be a little bit of work.  Not too bad though.  I hope it runs well and the tractor works well after all this.

• Like 1

WildmanC120

I took the old Briggs mounting plate and cut the angled pieces with the rubber mounts off each end.  I then placed it where I wanted it and drilled some new mounting holes.  This gave me something to mount the engine too.  This plate is literally as high as you can go otherwise the hood will hit and rest on the top of the engine.  I wish you could go a little higher but in the end it should work OK.  I will have to find some shorter belts to run the deck and snowblower i'm sure. 

IMG_20181025_150349.jpg

IMG_20181025_163548.jpg

Edited by WildmanC120
  • Like 1

WildmanC120

Engine looks pretty good in there, Not too out of place.  

I think I may run the stock key setup for now as time is getting short and its literally 1 wire from the battery to have it running.  When the weather warms up in the spring I can rewire it for the stock tractor key switch, choke and throttle controls. 

IMG_20181025_163710.jpg

• Like 5

WildmanC120

Only thing really left to do is fins someone local to cut these flanges off where the pipe is straight and extend it a few inches.  The hood will not close with the stock muffler.  I would like to keep it mounted on the side like that as I think it looks good and kinda mimics the 520. The muffler also needs to be turned 180* so the output faces front and not the operator. 

IMG_20181025_164829.jpg

IMG_20181025_170515.jpg

• Like 1

WildmanC120

The shaft is 1".  What will be a good PTO to get for this????

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Here is a picture of @BOWTIE's predator swap. I believe he used a plate like you did and I think everything else lined up. 

KIMG0280.jpg

• Like 1

WildmanC120
49 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

People say you cannot use the stock PTO because the engine does not have thrust bearings.  You need to use a Electric PTO with this.

Also the briggs that came off has a 1" shaft and so does the predator.  This allowed me to use the drive pulley right from the Briggs.  I will need an electric PTO for a 1" shaft.

WildmanC120
38 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Here is a picture of @BOWTIE's predator swap. I believe he used a plate like you did and I think everything else lined up. 

KIMG0280.jpg

Looks like he put a plate on the stock rubber mounter plate.  The hood must be much taller on the 175 then my 161.  I couldn't mount mine that way as it was way too tall.  

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

People say you cannot use the stock PTO because the engine does not have thrust bearings.  You need to use a Electric PTO with this.

Also the briggs that came off has a 1" shaft and so does the predator.  This allowed me to use the drive pulley right from the Briggs.  I will need an electric PTO for a 1" shaft.

If the predator has ball bearings on the crankshaft you can use the manual PTO,  If not then electric PTOs came in 1" and 1-1/8"

WildmanC120
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If the predator has ball bearings on the crankshaft you can use the manual PTO,  If not then electric PTOs came in 1" and 1-1/8"

I'm not sure what it has.  Just a bunch of people have said to use electric PTO with this so I decided to go that route. I'm just not sure which one to choose is all.  

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

I'm not sure what it has.  Just a bunch of people have said to use electric PTO with this so I decided to go that route. I'm just not sure which one to choose is all.  

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/predator-engine-670cc-22-hp-harbor-freight.html...from what I researched it's ball bearing supported so you should be able to use the manual PTO

Screenshot_20181025-195401.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 1

USHorse

I spec'd out an electric clutch for the 22hp predator that is in my 416.  The shop said that their clutch would need 15 amps whereas the predator only puts out 3 amps and therefore not a match.  I think the predator does make the 22 hp with the higher charging system but that is not the  one i got.   I wonder what the amp draw is on the original WH clutches.  I am not good on the electrical side but thought i would throw that out for thought

953 nut

The electric clutch on mt GT-14 draws ten to eleven amps.

ohiofarmer

Glad to see this thread. I gave up on trying to use a manual clutch bonnet on a 14 horsepower predator. Never could get enough power to transfer to the blades That smaller engine has enough power for a 520Hydro with a 48" deck under reasonable mowing speeds with much better fuel "mileage" Just because Predators have ball bearings does not mean they are as good as stock. I have an electric clutch so maybe it can work out after all.

peter lena

thank you for the pictures and info on the predator engine swap, the ball bearing information was most important to me , wanting to use the w/h type pto lever linkage. the engine mounting pto side threaded holes will make a great starting point to duplicate the lever mounts. I would also get some exhaust ideas on the net , for this , your starting from scratch pictures , lets you go after issues , as you see them . good luck on this , pete

Goldnboy

Does anyone know how to duplicate the thrust plate and bearing used on the 11Hp Briggs engine for the Predator?

pfrederi
38 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

Does anyone know how to duplicate the thrust plate and bearing used on the 11Hp Briggs engine for the Predator?

Both the 13 and 22 HP Predators have ball bearings on the crankshaft.  Why would you want to add another???

The plate was nothing but a flat piece of steel with a hole in the center sized to the outer race and a notch on the edge that locked into a pin on the block.  You could use a bolt into a predator mounting hole instead.